• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gym Goers

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see a lot of people talking about gym; going to gym, being back from the gym, gym headphones etc.

What do you guys do at the gym? What are your objectives, do you go to train or is it just exercise?

I have been going to the gym for ages, with lots of break in between - effectively an intermediate for the last 25 years. I got a bit of an injury a while ago, so had been away from gym for some time, but last couple of months have been doing 5 times a week, all resistance training. It used to be cardio for the remaining 2 "rest" days but weather is getting better where I live so most of our cardio is done outdoor these days and not at the gym. My objective is to increase lean muscle mass and get back to my PRs before I hit the age where adding more muscle and strength without TRT becomes impossible.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, gyms are at hotels, except for my basement gym at home. I lift dumbbells and run on a treadmill. When I'm not too busy or being lazy or nursing some old-age injury, I try to get in 15 or 20 miles of running a week and maybe three workouts with weights. My weights routine is upper-body-only--when I run and ride the bike outdoors there are enough hills around here to take care of my legs.

At my age, I do not work out successive days. Old bodies need 48 hours of recovery. Even with that, I still fight injuries, and I limit my runs to five miles as a promise to the physical therapist. If I get three workouts a week in, I'm happy. Sometimes, I can add a group hike or bike ride (or airport workout) to that.

Now, to the important stuff. My home gym, I have parked one of my pairs of Advent loudspeakers, a B&K Reference 125.2 amp, and a TV connected to a DVD player and an AppleTV box. That gives me basically everything.

At hotels, I made do with JBL Endurance Peak IEM's playing from my iphone. Not so good but I'd ruin anything decent by soaking it in sweat.

I do not listen to anything except my surroundings when running or cycling outdoors.

Rick "who used to think of a five-mile run as a warmup" Denney

Tom C

Major Contributor
I shoot for daily workout, but never quite make it. Something always comes up to get in the way, which is one reason to shoot for every day. I usually get 6 days workout per week. Gym for upper body weight training one day, gym for core body weight training another day, then one day running. I have a treadmill in the house, so I can run during the cold months and inclement weather. Makes it easier to be consistent, too, on work days, since the gym is a twenty minute drive each way.
It’s nice to get outside for a run or bike in the better weather. Been considering taking up cross country skiing or snowshoeing for the wintertime, since we get enough snow around here for those.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Yeah, I think I’m done with half marathons, which is the longest I was ever able to manage. I do miss those, though. My favorite was through the Irish countyside in County Kerry. Just beautiful. Fresh air, the energy of the crowd, and friendly neighbors along the way who came out of their homes to cheer us on and offer us cookies.

D

Deleted member 21219

Seven days a week, I walk 5 miles in the morning, usually outside. Only the absolute worst of winter weather forces me to walk inside. Six days a week, I visit the gym for a couple hours, splitting my time between aerobic training and resistance training.
The gym I use is totally concrete and glass, and if they have music playing, it's absolute hell for me; one-note boom that can't be stopped, even with shooting muffs. We'll see how these JBL IEMs do; they may be just the ticket.
I need this gym, for heart health, for lung rehabilitation and for weight loss. At my age, rehab isn't an option, it's a necessity. :(

Jim

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm old, but I've had the best results with BodyPump by Les Mills. We do it at home streaming it from a laptop to a 60" TV in our loft area. It uses both bar, dumbells, and weight plates. It works the entire body in 60 minutes doing section by section. Warm-up, squats, chest, back, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, core, and cool-down. Low weights & high reps. A really excellent workout. It can flat wear you out.

And I walk as well.

egellings

Major Contributor
I see a lot of people talking about gym; going to gym, being back from the gym, gym headphones etc.

What do you guys do at the gym? What are your objectives, do you go to train or is it just exercise?

I have been going to the gym for ages, with lots of break in between - effectively an intermediate for the last 25 years. I got a bit of an injury a while ago, so had been away from gym for some time, but last couple of months have been doing 5 times a week, all resistance training. It used to be cardio for the remaining 2 "rest" days but weather is getting better where I live so most of our cardio is done outdoor these days and not at the gym. My objective is to increase lean muscle mass and get back to my PRs before I hit the age where adding more muscle and strength without TRT becomes impossible.
For me, I do weight training to keep in shape. I'm not a bodybuilder, since my small frame would not impress anybody. I view it a part of good health maintenance.

Reactions: GDK

bogart

Forum Donor
Interesting topic!

I train heavy with a trainer one day a week with barbells and lift heavy doing the core bodybuilding moves. I try to manage home workouts with < 50lb dumbbells + kettlebells once a week in addition, though I'd love to make it to two sessions. Walking dogs and kid around keeps me moving on other days.

Goals are to 1) improve posture / counter working at a desk, 2) build/maintain overall fitness, 3) remain in the same size clothing I already own.

Gym has a so-so PA system that is adequate, and my trainer and I have autonomy to choose the music. Home is either IEMs or my office system if I'm home solo!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I wear noise canceling ear pods (currently Sennheiser, but might be looking for an upgrade soon) to keep out the awful music, the annoying chit chat and the heavy breathing and moaning of some. Yes I am talking about a gym ….

Trying to prolong the decay ;-)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I keep It simple: classics powerlifting exercises for weights and some armed anda unarmed sparring for cardio.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I train with a trainer usually twice a month this year, occasional weekly stints. We focus on Functional Strength and Mobility stuff. I continue with free weights at home pretty regularly. Swim 4-5 days a week, and do spin cycle on the off days aiming for twice a week.
Before some injuries kicked in a few yrs back, I was swimming 120-150 laps in a short course pool. injuries aside, I also managed to catch a very light bout of the C-O-V Augusts '22. That kept me out of the pool all Sept, and even though it was super mild, the pulmonary effect on my fortitude was still pretty profound.

By no means am I a pumper, and to say I'm now the strongest I've ever been is probably true. But I'm not winning any Gun Shows to be certain. Mainly, after years of only swimming, I needed to balance out my Pec and Front Delt. Now I'm working my whole upper body to balance that and am starting to feel really good. Posture has improved and in general I feel much better day to day.

I'm spitting distance from 50, and I'm watching people lose their bodies as they age. Swimming was an investment in my future. ;) I started after some issues running. Got decent back in 2010-11. Then a few years off as I moved and was working some rough hours in a Bakery and as a Winery Chef. Put on a lot of weight. Started back up in 2016 and haven't looked back.

nerdstrike

Attempt to mitigate my desk life and sustain a degree of readiness for the next time a fridge needs moving or worse. Lots of back strengthening through rowing, squats and so forth. I'm not so good at achieving a training pattern to get fitter and stronger, but once a week will have to do for now. Better than nought, less than a lot.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
My middle son who is a rower wanted to do strength training at a gym around the age of 12. I had to join to supervise as he was too young. Best thing ever for my health and well being, now years later I gym 1hr at least 5 times a week, mx of everything

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Mother or Grandmother of a friend of mine would say, he claims, "You know you're getting old when you get down on the floor to do something, then look around to see if there is anything else to do down there before getting back up."

My Trainer has a range of men training with her, all ages and capabilities. She said last week that none of the older group around 40 and up can get up off the floor with ease.

My goal is to free-lift my Subwoofers!
o_O :oops: :p

OK... not really, but if you can't move it, you should seriously consider whether you should have it! ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I get my exercise by doing whatever it is I do.

Seems to be enough.

None of the above, of course.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
I don't mean to brag, but a few months ago I started a workout routine with six pound dumbells. With a lot of dedication, hard work, watching my diet carefully, and working with a trainer and a pro sports psychologist, I've gradually improved and increased my routine to the point that I now use eight pound dumbells.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I'm doing weight training 3 times a week with a trainer and light cardio maybe 2 times a week by myself, it's been great so far. I've lost 10% of body mass in 4 months (mostly fat), got rid of all my back problems, while at the same time I can bench press, squat and do lat pulldown with the weight of my wife. Another plus is it also basically cures my diabetes type 2, it's no joke the best thing I could do for myself at my age

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
I've been doing heavy weight training for 39 years. I can count the trainings that I missed in that period on the fingers of one hand. Objective is to be strong and look athletic. Always stayed natural, which seems to be pretty unique. When Covid hit I invested in a home gym. Never went back to public gyms.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been doing heavy weight training for 39 years. I can count the trainings that I missed in that period on the fingers of one hand. Objective is to be strong and look athletic. Always stayed natural, which seems to be pretty unique. When Covid hit I invested in a home gym. Never went back to public gyms.
Wow. That is impressive. Not only the discipline and devotion but also being able to exercise at the right intensity so that you are recovered for the next training. That, or you have a hand with a lots of fingers on it :)

So no vacations "up in the mountains", or to a hotel without a gym? No flu, no hangovers, no severe diarrhea from the drunken curry?

Top Bottom