• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gym Goers

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm doing weight training 3 times a week with a trainer and light cardio maybe 2 times a week by myself, it's been great so far. I've lost 10% of body mass in 4 months (mostly fat), got rid of all my back problems, while at the same time I can bench press, squat and do lat pulldown with the weight of my wife.
I love you use the Mrs. as a weight reference. "I am making sure I have the strength to save you honey no matter what kind of trouble you are in" :)

There are different body weight scale strength targets for different ages and genders, if you have this much of muscle strength by this age, you should have enough strength and muscle mass to be physically independent at this age kind of way. I would recommend checking one out. They provide a sensible target to aim at.

Another plus is it also basically cures my diabetes type 2, it's no joke the best thing I could do for myself at my age
Definitely. At every age above 3 maybe, right sized exercise is probably the best thing we can do for our physical and mental health.

Geert

Major Contributor
So no vacations "up in the mountains", or to a hotel without a gym? No flu, no hangovers, no severe diarrhea from the drunken curry?

I take 2 breaks every year. 2 weeks during my summer holiday, and 1 week during the end of year holidays. These are 'deload weeks'; planned breaks required for full recovery. During these weeks I do other types of sports. Hangovers are no valid excuse, the flu only when it's so bad I can't get out of bed ;)

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I take 2 breaks every year. 2 weeks during my summer holiday, and 1 week during the end of year holidays. These are 'deload weeks'; planned breaks required for full recovery. During these weeks I do other types of sports. Hangovers are no valid excuse, the flu only when it's so bad I can't get out of bed ;)
Nice. Anything specific you do to avoid injury?

Geert

Major Contributor
Nice. Anything specific you do to avoid injury?

What comes to mind is warming up (2x 20 reps with very light weight per muscle group), a few mobility exercises for shoulders and hips, rotator cuff exercises, controled movements (no bouncing), end an exercises when the speed of movement slows down considerably, go heavy on one compound exercise per muscle group and for accessory exercises use higher reps and shorter rest periods, stay natural.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, I do the gym to stay in shape and alive. I do a 3 mile walk on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday outdoors. I do 30 minutes of HIIT on my exercise bike on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I likewise do resistance training on Tues, Thursday. Saturday (Free weights) for 30 min, and I do 30 min of Yoga on Mon, Wed and Friday. I meditate half an hour daily, eat wild caught salmon twice a week, and overnight oats for breakfasts four times a week, along with 8 fruits and vegetables a daily. It seems to work.

Multicore

Major Contributor
What do you guys do at the gym? What are your objectives, do you go to train or is it just exercise?
We don't got to a gym but we do exercise at home and outdoors. We go with our dogs for a 90 minute hike 4 times a week. On the other 3 days we do strength exercises and rowing (Concept2 erg) for cardio intensity. For me the strength exercises are loaded lunges, push ups, sit ups and a dumbbell lift aimed at being able to do pull ups. My wife's strength routing is slightly different. The hikes are good for endurance but doesn't get the heart rate very high; the rowing is good for that. The strength exercises are so that as we age we don't end up extremely frail.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I celebrated my 46 year of gym going this year. After finals in college, i went to a friends house who had the Arnold Schwarzenegger book on his coffee table. As soon as i opened and looked, i was hooked. My genetics arent great for muscle building, though at my peak i was 6'2" and 243 before starting dieting for my first (and only) bb show. I weighed in at 198 on the morning of the show (saturday) and the next day after gorging myself Saturday night with food i hadnt been able to eat for 14 weeks, I got on the scale and weighed in at 212. There is a reason i slept downstairs on Saturday, i was in a carbohydrate indused stupor.

Once you have worked out consistently for a very long time, you feel terrible if you dont (a withdrawal) so my routine of gym workouts havent really changed much over the years but have added (gasp) stretching 2x/week and cardio every day after weights. In the early years average workout time was ~2+hours a day (with a partner), today, with cardio i try and finish up in an hour or less. One other major change is that I now do gurly weights because of joint damage from playing a semipro sport and trying to never be outdone by my gym partner and prove who was the strongest LOL. I am paying for it now ... the stupidity of youth

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I see a lot of people talking about gym; going to gym, being back from the gym, gym headphones etc.

What do you guys do at the gym? What are your objectives, do you go to train or is it just exercise?

I do most of my exercise outdoors: cycling, running, ocean swimming & diving (scuba & free-diving). But I don't like doing that in the cold, rain and snow. So when the weather is crappy I hit the gym: run on the treadmill or bike on the machine.

I am into cardio not strength. But while I don't care to get stronger, I don't want to get weaker either. And at my age (in my 50s) we do gradually get weaker unless we do some kind of strength exercise. So I also do pushups & pull-ups 2-3 times per week to maintain some modicum of lean upper body muscle.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do most of my exercise outdoors: cycling, running, ocean swimming & diving (scuba & free-diving). But I don't like doing that in the cold, rain and snow. So when the weather is crappy I hit the gym: run on the treadmill or bike on the machine.

I am into cardio not strength. But while I don't care to get stronger, I don't want to get weaker either. And at my age (in my 50s) we do gradually get weaker unless we do some kind of strength exercise. So I also do pushups & pull-ups 2-3 times per week to maintain some modicum of lean upper body muscle.
Trust me on this due to biology, you get weaker regardless of whether you do strength exercise or not. Its not if but how much

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
The biggest thing I miss about my 2 mile swims 5x per week is that right now if I eat a burrito and drink a beer, a kill my metabolism for 3 days. When I was fully on my swim routine, that was almost required just to keep me going!
Of course, a lot happens over 4 years, especially after Covid and when you're knocking on your 50th. ;)

Over the past year, especially with cycling on the spin bike and the training, my Breaststroke is hitting close to 25 second laps for shorter durations... 250 yds today was averaging 28.5 sec splits. For a non-competitive swimmer, I'll take it!

My goal is to be able to swim a 30-min mile. Best time pre-covid was 36:16 mixed between Breast and Free. (My Freestyle is slower than my Breaststroke.)

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the UK (well, Ingerland) you see a lot of people dressed for the gym, but you know they're not going there...

MRC01

Major Contributor
Trust me on this due to biology, you get weaker regardless of whether you do strength exercise or not. Its not if but how much
Eventually, sure. Exactly when and how rapidly depends on where you are among the multiple curves of age, fitness, level of strength, genetics, etc. Either way, it's all relative - the exercise makes you better off and stronger than you would be otherwise.
The pushups and pullups definitely make a difference. 5 years ago I broke my arm and after 6 weeks of non-use that arm definitely got weaker. That showed me weak I would be if I didn't exercise. Pitiful! The strength came back over time.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure if you guys follow him but I am big fan of Dr. Peter Attia who talks a lot about longevity.

A few years ago he shared this summary in one of the articles he wrotge on the importance of preserving strength and muscle mass.

f9.-Strength-loss-with-aging-in-literature-ama27-1024x417.png

You can check out the full article and the video at the link below:

Multicore

Major Contributor
And at my age (in my 50s) we do gradually get weaker unless we do some kind of strength exercise. So I also do pushups & pull-ups 2-3 times per week to maintain some modicum of lean upper body muscle.
Add sit ups and something for the legs (I do lunges, wife does squats) and you'll be well covered. It doesn't take much time to do them.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
over time I concluded that working on your deficiencies is the way to go. The standard programs only work if you have a standard body, which most of us don't have. If you don't work specifically on your weak muscles, you will always use those strong ones. I have very short clavicles and my traps are naturally prevalent, while my shoulders are naturally weak af; untrained I had a very weird look from the front where it seemed I had no shoulders at all. My focus is therefore to look "more normal". Nowadays I basically work shoulders, lats, and upper chest 6x a week with some legwork eventually thrown in....never looked better.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard this one a few weeks ago:
"We don't become weak because we get old....we get old because we become weak"
Sorry, but that just is not so. We get old no matter what we do. But when the debilitations of age strike me (and they will), I want to be as fit as possible so that the long downhill slide starts from a higher elevation. (This was brought home to me when I had cancer in 2018--I was close to fighting weight and reasonably fit going into that major surgery, and there is no doubt that being fit vastly improved the recovery and the outcomes.)

My goal is to die young...

...wait for it...

...as late as possible.

So, I don't focus on muscle mass or excess strength. I focus on mobility and the strength that mobility requires. I use dumbbells for upper body for two reasons: 1.) they look more like the things I want to be able to lift and carry, and 2.) hotel gyms have them.

I've always been a cyclist if I've been anything athletic. Yes, I swam miles at a time when I was training for the Ironman, but swimming laps is hard and time-consuming, plus the chlorine kills my sinuses. And I ran long distance at times (and still my regular run is five miles), but in the last several years I've started to get running injuries of one sort or another. I think I build the most useful leg strength and fitness running and cycling, rather than lower-body lifting. Plus, my legs routinely carry my 195-pound body, and when I walk, I do it vigorously (nobody keeps up with me at airports, and I can walk fast enough to keep up with my wife's jogging, at least before her foot surgeries put an end to that). I can carry my luggage (35-40 trips a year through airports) and I did not buy lightweight stuff. I carry my tubas to rehearsals and gigs and my big tuba for wind ensemble weighs 45 pounds in its gig bag with all the associated accoutrements--I carry it over one shoulder. I don't complain about moving amps and speakers. The strength to do those activities is what I wish to preserve as long as possible.

But stuff happens. My wife has a cousin who is the picture of fitness and health. But three years ago he stepped off a curb and his leg broke. WTF? He used to be able to stand up from sitting crosslegged with a Volkswagen engine in his arms, but all that ended after his knee and leg surgery. But there is no doubt that the fitness he carried into that ordeal is the reason why most people still think of him as the picture of fitness and health, even though he is keenly aware of what he can no longer do. These sorts of unexpected debilitations are on the agenda for most folks no matter what they do to stay fit.

Many focus on strength, but I daresay balance is a bigger issue for aging. I also have a Bosu in my home gym, and my PT has given me exercises that use the Bosu to sharpen my balance and stability, mostly to prevent falls or self-injury while doing other things. Fine control is also an issue for many, so I've taken up a new hobby (watch repair) to give me a reason to practice fine motor skills (and patience). Tremor is a real problem for me playing the tuba, and no amount of fitness training could have prevented that, so I know what age-related disability looks like.

But for me working out is not the hobby. (Cycling is to some extent, but I prefer to do that in groups for hobby purposes, and invariably that diminishes the workout quality.) Working out is a means to an end for me. I don't really have passion for it, and doing it is a matter of commitment. Many in this thread identify working as the hobby, or, if you like the formulation better, the target avocation. It is an end unto itself, done for its own sake. That is a fundamental difference in outlook. It's a bit like people who are into audio but don't really listen much to music except to demonstrate their audio stuff, versus people who are into the music and want the cheapest system that does not get in the way of that enjoyment. I have been both of those audio nuts at various times. A better analogy might be a musician playing scales. Musicians have to learn that playing scales has to be enjoyed for its own sake, because there will never be a time when they won't need to play scales, so they might as well enjoy it. I play scales, but I've never really enjoyed doing so for their own sake. That's why I'm a second-rate amateur musician who only gets the occasional pro gig by hanging around pros. (That's not the only reason.)

Rick "would be more diligent if working out was the passion" Denney

P.S. I was once asked, while running laps around a fairgrounds at week-long RV rally, what I was running from. "Old age!"

MRC01

Major Contributor
Add sit ups and something for the legs (I do lunges, wife does squats) and you'll be well covered. It doesn't take much time to do them.
I mentioned earlier that I do running, cycling, ocean swimming with free and scuba diving. Cycling up steep hills builds good muscle mass, especially mountain biking where the slopes can be 25%+ grades over rough surfaces with limited traction. No e-bike for me - I want to earn those fun downhills!

Top Bottom