• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice please: Wall mounted setup for Home Gym/ Music Room £1000 budget

JakeK

Forum Donor
I'd love to get some good advice here as I've considered lots of options but I feel like I have more questions than answers at the moment. I have a detached garage approx. 3mtrs x 5mtrs which I use as a workshop and home gym. I've been gradually soundproofing it and plasterboarding it to make it nicer to be in and so I can turn the music up in there without offending anyone. The next stage after it's all boarded and painted is the bit I'm most looking forward to, the sound system and it's a mostly blank canvas. I've built a pi based squeezebox as a wall mounted music player and other possible sources will be bluetooth from my phone or chromebook, a chromecast via a TV and possibly a keyboard/synthesiser. Everything needs to be wall mounted or possibly on a narrow shelf less than 300mm as floor space is precious in a small gym. The speakers will need to be high on the walls as most listening will be done standing up but sometimes sitting. Budget is loosely £1000. As I said I do have some ideas but I'm interested in suggestions.

There is also the question of placement. I can put the speakers on the longer wall or the shorter. I feel like they should be at least 2 mtrs apart. I did consider putting 4 corner speakers but that will probably not be best for stereo image. The listening position will be all around so the audio sweet spot doesn't want to be small. With wanting to mount these right on the wall it has occurred to me that conventional hifi speakers aren't the best solution and I should seek something unusual.

Here is a photo of one end wall where speakers could be mounted, also gives an idea of the shape of the ceiling:

PXL_20230510_093546826.jpg

This is the other end with gym equipment in position:

PXL_20221106_164004405.jpg

The ceiling is still a work in progress.

BTW You can read my room build thread over on AV Forums if interested: https://www.avforums.com/threads/soundproofed-garage-gym-music-room-workshop.2425368/

Dal1as

You may want to look at something like the Klipsch aw650 outdoor speaker or even better the Revel outdoor speaker which I believe measured well here on ASR.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Look at PA speakers if you like to crank it up. You could easily get some nice Yamaha, Mackie, JBL, etc. for your price range.

If you play more moderately loud then studio monitors like Kali or JBL.

Top Bottom