• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 232 88.2%

• Total voters

F1308

Major Contributor
We haven't seen one of those for at least two decades. Maybe more.
I know...I missed them a lot.
Just trying to understand the original question about high voltage output...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While the X18 measures great, does it sound great too?
There should be no doubt that this DAC will sound great - just like all other low distortion, low noise, high resolution, high-fidelity DACs.

But if you are looking for a particular level and type of distortion that you think "sounds great", this Gustard will not be an ideal choice.

/s

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm said in his first sentence : I like the high resolution display with larger volume indicator.

Whhhhattt ?

Gustard makes a larger volume display ?

Noooo, you mean that they DO listent to the Voice of the Customer ??

Bravo !!!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not exactly sure what you mean by “stability,” but if you mean longevity of the company (ie, will they be around next year or are they a just a flash in the pan), Topping has been in existence for quite a while. I remember Parts Express selling Topping amps based on the Tripath chips when they were all the rage 10-15 years ago.
Actually, I could be confusing Topping Tripath amps with Dayton Tripath amps. If so, then I don’t know how long Topping has been around.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There should be no doubt that this DAC will sound great - just like all other low distortion, low noise, high resolution, high-fidelity DACs.

But if you are looking for a particular level and type of distortion that you think "sounds great", this Gustard will not be an ideal choice.

/s
It’s kind of like edge enhancement in digital photos—some people think it makes a photo look clearer and more detailed, but it’s only an illusion and is in actuality distortion of the image data. Likewise, if a DAC has audible distortion in the high frequencies, some people might think the DAC has added detail, shimmer, air, etc. If there is distortion in the upper bass, some people might think it sounds warm, sweet, syrupy, etc. If there is distortion in the lower bass, some people might hear that as thick, powerful, deep, etc.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Beautiful rack. I didn't know they had those.
On the cheap? You can look at this: Hemudu 2 Pack Computer Monitor Riser with Height Adjustable Multi Media Desktop Stand for Flat Screen LCD LED TV, Laptop/Notebook/Xbox One >> ~$30USD
Snag_6ba0fe0a.png

Stack'em Dano? You can look at this: Douk Audio Amplifier/ Preamp/ DAC Acrylic Rack Mount Stand Bracket for HiFi Desktop Audio System >> ~$60USD
Snag_6ba1ea00.png

Money Grows on Trees? You can look at this: ...HIFI Audio Speaker Subwoofer CD Player Amplifier Amp Decoder Frame Rack Equipment Shock Absorber Tripod Shelf Foot >> $25 to $1,425USD
Snag_6ba28da3.png

Worth searching to fit your needs.

sq225917

Major Contributor
By larger display I assume they mean 5h3 font size for the dB level, not the actual physical display unit. Which will suffice. Wish it was firmware upgradeable for my A18, it's the only bit I hate.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kencreten

Forum Donor
Yes. So it is better to not quote it. :). Just type in a new blank replay box unless you want to reference something in the review in which case, first select it with the mouse and then hit Reply. Then it will only quote that part.
And thanks for the work. I'm always impressed by the sheer volume of reviews you do.

Reynaldo

You are right bro, there's no 'perfect software', but we are always trying to do the best in development. Big bugs were killed before batch production.
Once new bugs noticed by users, we will keep tracking and solve it as soon as possible. All the firmware updates would be released and stored on Internet. This issue of X18 is noticed before batch productions' delivery, so everyone of you can buy the fixed one.

The support will last at least one year after production stopped.
The question is whether X18 will be able to update without having to open the device?
My X16 was not defective, however until this is resolved, I will not buy another product from Gustard.
The post sale of you guys leaves a lot to be desired.

gustard

Audio Company
Does this mean that the X18 can be used to drive a power amplifier without significant performance loss? Or is it recommended to use an analogue preamplifier?
Actually, the question is how good the X18 is as a preamplifier.
Two levels of analog attenuators reduced loss of traditional digital volume. However, if you want a better sound, a good preamplifier will be a choice.

gustard

Audio Company
As @X_=& mentioned the probability is high that stock items might be affected.
Is this the same case with the X16? I was a pre-order, early shipment. Were they all shipped out with whatever bug existed corrected? I only read there was an issue in this thread and am concerned.

They will not, all Shenzhen Audio will receive the first batch of products this week where the bugs were fixed last week. The stock in China is in our own factory which is easy for us to fix.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice DAC, though obviously it doesn't advance the state of the art.

Exceptional Chinese DACs have become essentially fungible of late. Great time to be an audiophile.

Top Bottom