• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

0ldSchool

Forum Donor
When Amir first recommended this product, it was available for sale via Apos and Amazon. I got mine from Apos.

Do you really expect Amir to follow up with sales availability of every single item he reviewed many months later?
6/29/21 - as of now, still available from Amazon via several different vendors (and has been without a break). I got mine in 7 days from order to delivery. Ordered direct from Shenzhen Audio as they offer return policy! GUSTARD DAC-X16 2 ES9068AS DAC Bluetooth 5.0 LDAC XMOS XU216 DSD512 768KHz IIS Balanced Full Decoder (Black) [BTW - can't feed it except through Bluetooth - BLOWN AWAY by the incredible sound! Will post first impressions as soon as I figure out where I should post them.] https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08MXPT...abc_37ZHP36PBTPV5KRPMADR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

0ldSchool

Forum Donor
FIRST IMPRESSIONS after 24 hour burn-in (though it sounded great right out of the box!)

GUSTARD X-16 fed by Bluetooth 44.1MHz, 16 bits off iOS Tidal app. XLR fed into XLR on Yamaha RX-A 3080. PURE DIRECT ON. NO Tidal App crossfade, loudness normalization, nor optimized playback.

After hearing the first few bars of The Eagles MQA 2013 remaster "Tequila Sunrise," my listening partner immediately said, "It sounds much cleaner!" She should know - as her favorite song, she has probably listened to it via TIDAL, 50+ times on the current system. The only change was the DAC, and at that point, I had just turned it on, i.e., no burn-in.

Indeed it does (sound cleaner, clearer, precise) even though mine is currently only 44.1Mhz, 16bits PCM fed to Yamaha over Blue Jeans Cable XLRs.
Percussion: cymbals ring forever; brushes on drums or cymbals extremely clear; drumsticks being hit together sound like they're a few feet away; voice sibilance as if Diana Krall or Nora Jones are singing (and breathing) 10 feet away.

Voices: I CAN DISTINGUISH ALL THE WORDS for a change!
Billie Elish MQA "bad guy" is way too loud.

Same Billie Elish Non MQA cut also very loud, just not as "precise."

Ed Sheeran MQA "Shape of You" crisp - words distinct, percussion sounds real.

Fleetwood Mac MQA, 2001 Remaster, "Gold Dust Woman" Cow bell & drumstick move left to center to slight right, back to left. Each guitar note crisp and distinct. Never heard it like this!

Johnny Hodges and Billy Strayhorn, Verve 60, MQA (2016 release) "Jeep's Blues." Incredible realism. Sound stage perfectly set and spacious.

A quick bite (1 minute: 48 seconds) serving up piano, trumpet, drum set, saxophone is the Justin Hurwitz, MQA "Herman's Habit" (yes from "La La Land") which gives a nice introduction to the X-16 capabilities to represent ultra realistic sounding music.

NOW PLEASE REMEMBER - THESE ARE ONLY FIRST IMPRESSIONS with Bluetooth input from an iPhone 11 which throttles output to 16 bit 44.1MHz, and does only the first unfold of MQA. The X-16 contains a lot of wizardry to produce incredible sound - it is the device I longed for two or three years ago when I began subscribing to TIDAL, learning about MQA (what a tortuous path), determining that what DAC manufacturers were doing was MQA rendering NOT complete hardware decoding and that the Sabre company was about to release a DAC chip which would actually complete a full hardware decode which was the Sabre ES9068 (this new version DAC chip was significantly different from its predecessor; so different that Sabre's chip labeling scheme jumped from ES9038 TO ES9068!) At that time, the best DAC chip I had was in the Yamaha RX-A 3080, the single ES9026Pro, a very fine chip - but no MQA decoding nor even MQA rendering.

When I saw news releases about the ES9068, I began putting considerations together for my dream DAC for MQA.

I wanted twin Sabre ES9068 DAC chips (one per channel) which offered FULL hardware decoding (NOT just rendering), XLR outputs, and "normal" (for the US electrical grid) NEMA, AC, 15 Amp inputs so I could use a LessLoss AC cable to power it.

A bit of my background - I don't measure anything, but I played cornet for 6 years in middle and high school, and I have always cared about great sounding music.

I was in the AV business starting in 1971, and remember when I first heard a significant difference in sound in a demo of KEF 103 bookshelf speakers (probably about 1979). I chased surround sound in 1984 by setting up a local dealer to carry the Fosgate surround sound consumer decoder so I could buy one of the first ones to use with my 7820 Pioneer Laserdisc player for one of the first in home theater experiences!

The major point is this - music and sound have mattered to me my whole adult life. Having listened extensively to HiFi and MQA (ONLY THE FIRST UNFOLD*), tracks on TIDAL for more than two years - this Gustard X-16 DAC blows me away!

So far highly recommended.

The SMSL SD-9 network streamer (supposedly TIDAL MQA capable via Ethernet) is projected to arrive July 6, 2021. I will post a follow-up to this review when I can feed a digital signal from the SD-9 to this Gustard X16D AC.

REQUEST: IF anyone has used the SMSL SD-9 streamer connected to LAN, to feed this X16 DAC via the I2S interface, please share your experience via a reply or DM. I welcome all help! The SD-9 manual is a bit skinny.

*except for my son-in-law's Moon 390 network player/preamp , which does a complete MQA unfold, when I am fortunate enough to visit him

prateek

FIRST IMPRESSIONS after 24 hour burn-in (though it sounded great right out of the box!)

GUSTARD X-16 fed by Bluetooth 44.1MHz, 16 bits off iOS Tidal app. XLR fed into XLR on Yamaha RX-A 3080. PURE DIRECT ON. NO Tidal App crossfade, loudness normalization, nor optimized playback.

After hearing the first few bars of The Eagles MQA 2013 remaster "Tequila Sunrise," my listening partner immediately said, "It sounds much cleaner!" She should know - as her favorite song, she has probably listened to it via TIDAL, 50+ times on the current system. The only change was the DAC, and at that point, I had just turned it on, i.e., no burn-in.

Indeed it does (sound cleaner, clearer, precise) even though mine is currently only 44.1Mhz, 16bits PCM fed to Yamaha over Blue Jeans Cable XLRs.
Percussion: cymbals ring forever; brushes on drums or cymbals extremely clear; drumsticks being hit together sound like they're a few feet away; voice sibilance as if Diana Krall or Nora Jones are singing (and breathing) 10 feet away.

Voices: I CAN DISTINGUISH ALL THE WORDS for a change!
Billie Elish MQA "bad guy" is way too loud.

Same Billie Elish Non MQA cut also very loud, just not as "precise."

Ed Sheeran MQA "Shape of You" crisp - words distinct, percussion sounds real.

Fleetwood Mac MQA, 2001 Remaster, "Gold Dust Woman" Cow bell & drumstick move left to center to slight right, back to left. Each guitar note crisp and distinct. Never heard it like this!

Johnny Hodges and Billy Strayhorn, Verve 60, MQA (2016 release) "Jeep's Blues." Incredible realism. Sound stage perfectly set and spacious.

A quick bite (1 minute: 48 seconds) serving up piano, trumpet, drum set, saxophone is the Justin Hurwitz, MQA "Herman's Habit" (yes from "La La Land") which gives a nice introduction to the X-16 capabilities to represent ultra realistic sounding music.

NOW PLEASE REMEMBER - THESE ARE ONLY FIRST IMPRESSIONS with Bluetooth input from an iPhone 11 which throttles output to 16 bit 44.1MHz, and does only the first unfold of MQA. The X-16 contains a lot of wizardry to produce incredible sound - it is the device I longed for two or three years ago when I began subscribing to TIDAL, learning about MQA (what a tortuous path), determining that what DAC manufacturers were doing was MQA rendering NOT complete hardware decoding and that the Sabre company was about to release a DAC chip which would actually complete a full hardware decode which was the Sabre ES9068 (this new version DAC chip was significantly different from its predecessor; so different that Sabre's chip labeling scheme jumped from ES9038 TO ES9068!) At that time, the best DAC chip I had was in the Yamaha RX-A 3080, the single ES9026Pro, a very fine chip - but no MQA decoding nor even MQA rendering.

When I saw news releases about the ES9068, I began putting considerations together for my dream DAC for MQA.

I wanted twin Sabre ES9068 DAC chips (one per channel) which offered FULL hardware decoding (NOT just rendering), XLR outputs, and "normal" (for the US electrical grid) NEMA, AC, 15 Amp inputs so I could use a LessLoss AC cable to power it.

A bit of my background - I don't measure anything, but I played cornet for 6 years in middle and high school, and I have always cared about great sounding music.

I was in the AV business starting in 1971, and remember when I first heard a significant difference in sound in a demo of KEF 103 bookshelf speakers (probably about 1979). I chased surround sound in 1984 by setting up a local dealer to carry the Fosgate surround sound consumer decoder so I could buy one of the first ones to use with my 7820 Pioneer Laserdisc player for one of the first in home theater experiences!

The major point is this - music and sound have mattered to me my whole adult life. Having listened extensively to HiFi and MQA (ONLY THE FIRST UNFOLD*), tracks on TIDAL for more than two years - this Gustard X-16 DAC blows me away!

So far highly recommended.

The SMSL SD-9 network streamer (supposedly TIDAL MQA capable via Ethernet) is projected to arrive July 6, 2021. I will post a follow-up to this review when I can feed a digital signal from the SD-9 to this Gustard X16D AC.

REQUEST: IF anyone has used the SMSL SD-9 streamer connected to LAN, to feed this X16 DAC via the I2S interface, please share your experience via a reply or DM. I welcome all help! The SD-9 manual is a bit skinny.

*except for my son-in-law's Moon 390 network player/preamp , which does a complete MQA unfold, when I am fortunate enough to visit him
Nice writeup. I too am trying to pair SD9 with X16. Could you please confirm if SD9 can output DSD128 native from SD9's i2s HDMI. Thanks!

0ldSchool

Forum Donor
This is what I found out from the SMSL SD9 manual.
Manual located at: https://www.smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/SD9Manual.pdf (accessed July 01, 2021)

USB DAC/I2S output support up to PCM32bit/384kHz and DSD256 (Page 31)

ONLY the USB interface of SD-9 supports MQA decoding, other interfaces do not! (Page 58)

•SD Card up to 256 GB
•USB Drive up to 4TB (Page 32)

Page 46:
2.14 System Update:
Download the upgrade firmware to the TF* card, insert it into the unit and click system update. *TF Card means "TransFlash Card," which was the original SanDisk name for SD Card.

Firmware and driver download: https://www.smsl-audio.com/
F530CEE6-6C7E-439F-980A-961C8AE1F93A.jpeg
DF05C4EC-FD7B-4D50-856F-8D79FBA7D0F8.png
7250027F-3C57-4F23-9F07-C49770A950B7.png

Addy

If new x16 or recall from distributer will fixed EPROM within 1-2 week, should I place order.

cecelo01

Here, my X16 is normal. No problems were verified, including in DSD format.

cecelo01

According to reports and I have a friend in china who noticed this problem on his A18. Three other friends with the X16 did NOT notice the DSD format problem on the trail.

The problem reported by this fellow from A18 happens only on DSD, when one track ends and another starts. Happens during transition silence between tracks. A hiss is made, which is perceived, for example, by setting the integrated volume knob to 11:00 hs (clock reference).

First, I tested it at 11:30 am (clock reference) on my volume knob integrated with the M50x headphones (studio monitoring), then with the Senn 6XX and finally with the DT880.

Then I tested it on my system with Luxman and Golds 200.

The players used were HQPlayer 4 and JRiver 27.

Finally, I extracted to Sound Forge and put the tracks in execution. Sound Forge's graph did not detect anything abnormal.

Conclusion

After several tests, here the X16 is normal.

k525

According to reports and I have a friend in china who noticed this problem on his A18. Three other friends with the X16 did NOT notice the DSD format problem on the trail.

The problem reported by this fellow from A18 happens only on DSD, when one track ends and another starts. Happens during transition silence between tracks. A hiss is made, which is perceived, for example, by setting the integrated volume knob to 11:00 hs (clock reference).

First, I tested it at 11:30 am (clock reference) on my volume knob integrated with the M50x headphones (studio monitoring), then with the Senn 6XX and finally with the DT880.

Finally, I extracted to Sound Forge and put the tracks in execution. Sound Forge's graph did not detect anything abnormal.

Conclusion

Great job, I was able to find the problem generating a pink noise wav with REW generator with -80db level, than resampling to DSD in real-time with Roon

cecelo01

Great job, I was able to find the problem generating a pink noise wav with REW generator with -80db level, than resampling to DSD in real-time with Roon

Honestly, 140 pages here. Only four or five reports. Too little to consider a problem addiction. I believe some users were unlucky enough to get the dac (X16 or A18) with this little problem. What has been reported is that the hiss emitted is extremely low and does not contaminate the DSD music file

dmac6419

Major Contributor

Conclusion

Mine works fine too,X16 played the OP test files no hiss,crackles just unadulterated music.,tested on Jriver 27 and Roon

misureaudio

Honestly, 140 pages here. Only four or five reports. Too little to consider a problem addiction. I believe some users were unlucky enough to get the dac (X16 or A18) with this little problem. What has been reported is that the hiss emitted is extremely low and does not contaminate the DSD music file
In my unit the crackling noise was continuous during the whole track. It was clearly present in silent pauses in the middle of a track. Due to the nature consisting of bursts of noise at a very low level, (low but audible), I used a very low level high freq signal, which induces a continuous series of bursts during the entire track. Good that the majority of the X16 doesn't suffer the issue. Mine had it.

Last edited:

k525

In my unit the crackling noise was continuous during the whole track. It was clearly present in silent pauses in the middle of a track. Due to the nature consisting of bursts of noise at a very low level, (low but audible), I used a very low level high freq signal, which induces a continuous series of bursts during the entire track. Good that the majority of the X16 doesn't suffer the issue. Mine had it.
Is it correct the the problem occur only with Dsd? Are you going to try to update your X16?

misureaudio

Is it correct the the problem occur only with Dsd? Are you going to try to update your X16?
Yes, HD and MQA worked flawlessly, (and were excellent in sound quality). DSD was excellent, too, except for the constant presence of the cited noise during silent pauses. I sent back my X16, having bought it on Amazon, but it's clear that it is a great DAC and Gustard has been very solicit in answering to my mail and, after less than a week to analyse the issue, proposing a fix. The fix is published. I'll most probably reorder the X16 (or even the X26pro), since, on a subjective ground too, I found it extremely desirable. Real high end, affordable.

Top Bottom