• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Reynaldo

Believe it or not, they're sending me a kit from China that includes some hardware to flash/upgrade the device via the motherboard. The seller said they would stand by the product and offer me 90 days on the return if things don't work out. At this point, I'm just going to hang in for the adventure… Wish me luck!
It would be easier to send a new device already updated, and you return yours.

wisechoice

On another subject, can anyone make a suggestion about gain staging between my KH 120 As and the Gustard, and/or how to achieve unity between them? I would have assumed that, given how clean the Gustard is, I should just leave its signal unattenuated at 0dB, and turn down the input gain on the speakers. However, when I do that, it sounds compressed and the imaging less distinct. I’ve found that leaving the input gain on the speakers at the default 0dB (i.e. unattenuated), and the speaker output gain in the default position, and turning down the digital volume on the Gustard instead, provides better depth. Does this make any sense? From what I understand, reducing digital volume should reduce dynamic range, not the other way around.

I guess I could just measure the dynamic range of various combinations with a microphone, but I’m wondering if there’s any theory that could help me here. And furthermore, whether that’s the best measure or the only one worth considering. Noise is another one, obviously, but something tells me that I’m unlikely to find very much noise in either of these devices, especially over a balanced XLR connection.

wisechoice

I'm seeing that the dynamic range of the monitors is supposed to be >116 dB (A). If the Gustard X16 has almost 126 dB of dynamic range at 0dB, then I guess reducing the digital volume on it (by 10dB or so) might make the signal match better. Or would it? That said, the red warning light on the KH 120 didn't come on to indicate clipping when the Gustard was at 0dB.

I did the recordings mentioned above and got 18.1 LU (Gustard at -15dB, KH 120 at 0dB) vs 17.3 LU (Gustard at 0db, KH 120 at -15dB) R128 in Roon for the dynamic range. So perhaps I wasn't imagining things. However, the overall volume of the second recording was also about 3dB lower. When I normalized both tracks in Audacity, the difference was closer: 17.6 vs 17.3. Measurable, but small.

Last edited:

TK750

Believe it or not, they're sending me a kit from China that includes some hardware to flash/upgrade the device via the motherboard. The seller said they would stand by the product and offer me 90 days on the return if things don't work out. At this point, I'm just going to hang in for the adventure… Wish me luck!

@wisechoice
I sent an email to Gustard and they responded by sending these two files about the DSD issue

Looks like you're re-flashing the microcontroller with an ISP programmer, hope it fixes the problem =]

JoostE

Holy Sh*t, 139 pages. LMAO. From experience, that means this is the best there is, the worst there is, or is really good but has some problems ;)

Anyone kind enough to spare me some time and tell me which one it is :p? Thinking to pair this one with the Singxer SA1.

prateek

Holy Sh*t, 139 pages. LMAO. From experience, that means this is the best there is, the worst there is, or is really good but has some problems ;)

Anyone kind enough to spare me some time and tell me which one it is :p? Thinking to pair this one with the Singxer SA1.
:) For me, the best there is. Really at the price point, vfm product!

JoostE

Having read through some of these pages, it seems the firmware problems are only with DSD files, correct?

Since I only plan on using Qobuz, I would have no problem, correct?

prateek

Having read through some of these pages, it seems the firmware problems are only with DSD files, correct?

My unit (Sl. No. X16-B151602132) has no issues with DSD playback. Qobuz should not be an issue as it will be PCM format.

misureaudio

Exactly. Just DSD playback on some units, probably equipped with pre series firmware.

Top Bottom