• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Snert

So I'm new to this forum, and new to forums online.

I have read all the posts here about the X16 and got pretty exited about it so ordered one, and have had it a couple weeks now. Thing is, I cannot get it to work right, or sound very good. There are dropouts, and also snaps like playing dirty vinyl. Sometimes I get a few hours of clean sound, then anything changes, like pausing sound or pausing the Roku player, changing anything, then it will probably start popping and have dropouts. I put this in the same set up as my old desktop DAC, which has no issue, and also audio AVR, which had no issue for years.

source (or ROKU through AV switch coax or optical out - also tried TV optical out) - X16 - NAD 2600A amp - Dynaudio Xennon 3 speakers (yup old stuff). No preamp but the "normal" input on the amp has volume control on the amp (turned down). Using the X16 remote to control volume.

I have tried optical and coax inputs from 6 sources. And, USB from my computer. Replaced cables. Inspected connections. All inputs and sources deliver issues. Being that this will be mainly used with streaming from Roku, I even upgraded the Roku from a older 3 to an Ultra. The Roku Ultra sounds considerably better on my old DAC - surprisingly so. But is no better on the X16. In fact, my old Maverick TubeMajic now blows the X16 away in sound quality and listenability (regardless of the X16's pops and dropouts) with the new Roku player. So there has to be something wrong with it.

Now I'm writing this not to dis the DAC, but to help figure out what is going on... there are a lot of wise people on this forum. Many people love it so it should be working, but I've about had it with with fooling with it. I changed cables so many times that the door to the optical connector fell off eventually. I get it to the point where ah no issues, then it starts having issues again.

Overall the problem is getting worse over time (using coax input since optical is broken).

Does anyone have any recommendations on a fix? I do understand the settings.

From the Roku player - there is only 44.1 or 48 khz. The Ultra should sometimes be showing a higher sample rates from what I understand from others (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon). Playing over Roku, there is only 44.1 with Tidal and Spotify, which both have even more dropouts. I was planning on adding a Node 2i at some point, and maybe a Pi streamer device. From the computer I was able to set up higher sample rates, but audio dropouts made it unlistenable - but no pops on USB though. Someone else had this issue on the form and there were some fixes noted for that, but I have not tried the fixes as I'm not going to be using it with my computer in the future.

Veri

Master Contributor

I have read all the posts here about the X16 and got pretty exited about it so ordered one, and have had it a couple weeks now. Thing is, I cannot get it to work right, or sound very good. There are dropouts, and also snaps like playing dirty vinyl. Sometimes I get a few hours of clean sound, then anything changes, like pausing sound or pausing the Roku player, changing anything, then it will probably start popping and have dropouts. I put this in the same set up as my old desktop DAC, which has no issue, and also audio AVR, which had no issue for years.

source (or ROKU through AV switch coax or optical out - also tried TV optical out) - X16 - NAD 2600A amp - Dynaudio Xennon 3 speakers (yup old stuff). No preamp but the "normal" input on the amp has volume control on the amp (turned down). Using the X16 remote to control volume.

I have tried optical and coax inputs from 6 sources. And, USB from my computer. Replaced cables. Inspected connections. All inputs and sources deliver issues. Being that this will be mainly used with streaming from Roku, I even upgraded the Roku from a older 3 to an Ultra. The Roku Ultra sounds considerably better on my old DAC - surprisingly so. But is no better on the X16. In fact, my old Maverick TubeMajic now blows the X16 away in sound quality and listenability (regardless of the X16's pops and dropouts) with the new Roku player. So there has to be something wrong with it.
My honest opinion, it sounds like your unit had something wrong with it from the very start :/

ABall

Forum Donor
Sounds like the roku is incompatible
I'd say after 6 sources the Roku isnt the problem.

Now I'm writing this not to dis the DAC, but to help figure out what is going on... there are a lot of wise people on this forum. Many people love it so it should be working, but I've about had it with with fooling with it. I changed cables so many times that the door to the optical connector fell off eventually. I get it to the point where ah no issues, then it starts having issues again.

Overall the problem is getting worse over time (using coax input since optical is broken).

Does anyone have any recommendations on a fix? I do understand the settings.

From the Roku player - there is only 44.1 or 48 khz. The Ultra should sometimes be showing a higher sample rates from what I understand from others (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon). Playing over Roku, there is only 44.1 with Tidal and Spotify, which both have even more dropouts. I was planning on adding a Node 2i at some point, and maybe a Pi streamer device. From the computer I was able to set up higher sample rates, but audio dropouts made it unlistenable - but no pops on USB though. Someone else had this issue on the form and there were some fixes noted for that, but I have not tried the fixes as I'm not going to be using it with my computer in the future.
As Veri said, sounds broken, request a replacement.

Frio

Yep that's what sellers and warranties are made for. I hope they ignore the ruined optical.

Last edited:

Snert

Thanks for the replies. I will request a refund or credit for an upgrade. However with the broken optical door... not sure they will accept. If not, I'll tear it apart and see what I can do. Probably nothing... but at least I can probably replace the optical input. The TubeMagic DAC I referenced also didn't work left channel for pre-out originally. After reflowing several bad solder joints it worked.

Dannemand

As pointed out by others, this clearly sounds like a defect unit.

But regarding the 44.1 / 48Khz from Roku, I am guessing Roku is limited by HDCP rules. At least that's the case in my Panasonic Blu-ray player: It will only output 44.1 or 48Khz through optical if the receiving device doesn't support HDCP (which the Gustard doesn't). According to its manual, HDCP rules require that 96 and 192KHz soundtracks be downsampled to 48Khz.

Also, you have to make sure the Roku is set to output stereo PCM only. Otherwise you'll get a nasty result on the DAC.

I don't think the above explains the other issues you mention, particularly since they occur from different sources.

Snert

Just to remove anything BluRay player or HDMI related, I dug out an old Denon CD player from circa 1989 that I have not used in 15+ years. It still works apparently, and has a coax output. I don't get any issues with it connected to the X16. In fact is sounds good as I can expect from it. Playing at 44.1KHz. No dropouts, maybe some pop's but not as pronounced and could be the wax in my ears.

Of note, Bluetooth sounds fine. The phone does support MQA. So does the DAC, but not surprising the DAC does not unfold MQA over Bluetooth. In fact, most "master" tracks won't play at all over Bluetooth for some reason.

I have tried PCM setting on the Roku. Settings are pretty much automatic depending on what is connected.

The Roku Ultra does apparently support 24/192 over PCM, but depends on the app. Which... got me to thinking that the HDCP handshake to the TV is what is limiting and the older TV may be causing an issue. Since the TV sends out parameters of what it is, then the Roku will only send that compatible signal. If I had the Roku plugged into an AVR, then the ROKU would detect the parameters of the AVR. And maybe I would not be having these issues. The pops or cutouts might also so be caused by the return signal from the TV. I dunno just guessing.

ABall

Forum Donor
You say you tried 6 sources? If they all had issues it must be a problem with the DAC, but you say the Denon was ok apart from some pops, there should be no pops, I am using USB, optical and coax inputs, I have never heard any noises out of place, nothing but music. I wouldn't worry about the door on the optical, if you have only had it 2 weeks I would say it's probably covered anyway, you can argue it should not have fallen off, your plugging in an optical cable, It doesnt matter how many times when you have only had the unit this short time.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the X16 DAC. I'm not sure what's going on with its USB implementation but there's insane amounts of latency under Windows 10. >200ms (>1/5 of a second).

For now I've switched to SPDIF input which doesn't have the problem.
I still have problems with USB too although my PC may contribute to that problem on its own. Using optical for now too.

misterdog

Mine is mighty fine on USB from Windows 10 running JRiver using WASAPI out.

misterdog

Wouldn't it be peachy if hdmi connection does actually work ie bypassing the i2s protocol :)

Does anyone actually use i2S as a source, I suspect in future years it will be viewed like the SCART connector or 3D TV.

stegi

Hi guys,
I have just received my X16 unit today. After few hours of burning in I have to say the output is pretty amazing compared to my second DAC RME ADI 2 Pro.

Tidal and MQA tracks are working like a charm. Only Iam surprised the sample rate for MQA is usually 44.1... not "typically 96 kHz" as Tidal says.

I have installed the latest 5.0.0 driver but Iam not able to set the ASIO for foobar.
foobar2000_DSD_0.7.X folder is missing and I can't find it anywhere.
Could you please help me? Where should I find it or download the ASIO drivers.

Thank you

Dannemand

Tidal and MQA tracks are working like a charm. Only Iam surprised the sample rate for MQA is usually 44.1... not "typically 96 kHz" as Tidal says.

Congrats on your new DAC :)

Maybe the MQA tracks you tried were all 44.1Khz ones. A lot of MQA tracks on Tidal (in fact millions, mostly from Warner) were remastered from 16/44 sources. They'll still authenticate as MQA -- and they have in fact been re-encoded with the MQA encoder -- but they have no HiRes samples to unfold, and the DAC will correctly display their mastering sample rate as 44.1Khz.

Try some of the 2L albums, such as the ones linked below. They were MQA encoded from 352.8Khz DXD masters. That doesn't make them genuine 352.8Khz tracks, but that's what your DAC should display as it unfolds them.

2L Reflections Trondheim: https://listen.tidal.com/album/59883218

2L The Nordic Sound: https://listen.tidal.com/album/2400318

2L Mozart Violin Concerto: https://listen.tidal.com/album/59527094

Top Bottom