• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

ivo.f.doma

Well thank you. Good news! And can I go lower, for example -40dB without losing sound quality?
I am planning to switch from AVR (Tidal streaming, DVB-S) to DAC and Apollon power amplifier based on Hypex NC500OEM. So I won't have another volume control, only on the Gustard X16.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Well thank you. Good news! And can I go lower, for example -40dB without losing sound quality?
I am planning to switch from AVR (Tidal streaming, DVB-S) to DAC and Apollon power amplifier based on Hypex NC500OEM. So I won't have another volume control, only on the Gustard X16.
If you search this thread, you will see that officially gustard does not recommend using software/digital volume control. But it's up to you to hear it. So far I don't since I am using it as near field.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I am sitting about 10 ft away from speakers, listening in a big room. I like loud volume by default. But I think I have tried minus 40db, when listening at night at low volume to not disturbing my family members too much.
I could still enjoy it.

ArturoKiwi

I don't understand you're doubts. You already decide to listen mqa music that is lossy. I don't think that digital volume could worse

ABall

Forum Donor
Wait, this DAC can decode MQA on-board. So you should be able to use the on-board volume control while it still says MQA/OFS. It's only the source that should have volume at 100% so the data stays bit-perfect, the digital control on X16 should be able to be leveraged... it is there for a reason....
Colour me corrected, I should of stayed out of the MQA debate as I've never tried it, I thought I remembered Gustard saying it had to be max volume for MQA but I must have got the facts a bit mixed up sorry.

Veri

Master Contributor
Colour me corrected, I should of stayed out of the MQA debate as I've never tried it, I thought I remembered Gustard saying it had to be max volume for MQA but I must have got the facts a bit mixed up sorry.
No problem :D I don't own one, just extrapolating!

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
-40db is a lot. Unless the manufacturer explicitly design the volume control to be used as such, as opposed to bring a freebie because it costs nothing to implement, I would use an external preamp or integrated amp.

For example, the Lumins have Leedk processing. Some DACs use a relayed analog control.

Audibility aside, if you care to research and buy a good DAC you might as well ensure the signal path is optimal.

I use a combination of analog (resistor ladder) and digital (Roon 64-bit float).

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
-40db is a lot. Unless the manufacturer explicitly design the volume control to be used as such, as opposed to bring a freebie because it costs nothing to implement, I would use an external preamp or integrated amp.

For example, the Lumins have Leedk processing. Some DACs use a relayed analog control.

Audibility aside, if you care to research and buy a good DAC you might as well ensure the signal path is optimal.

I use a combination of analog (resistor ladder) and digital (Roon 64-bit float).
That was my concert too. Since I am connecting DAC directly to a pair of active speakers, I made -30dB XLR cables (u-pad attenuators) with quality parts and using software or DAC's volume control for the rest -10dB range if needed.

Dannemand

Couple of inputs to the volume discussion, if I may:

1) Volume control performed on the DAC will NOT affect MQA decoding, as already posted by @Veri and others. I assume this is also true when using the DAC just as MQA renderer, but not 100% sure. Software Volume Control performed by the source (PC, Streamer etc) will definitely break MQA.

2) Gustard is adamant about keeping the DAC's volume at 0dB (max volume). And there is no doubt adjusting volume on the DAC will affect distortion, as logic dictates. The question is how far can you go before it's audible? The IMD graph indicates that distortion picks up from around -12dB (courtesy of the ESS hump) but then flattens out around -25dB. Even at -35dB it's still pretty great.

3) According to posts by @gustard earlier in this thread, volume control is NOT implemented in the output stage, unlike some DACs that are meant to work as preamps. So it's using the DAC chip's volume control, which we must assume is implemented at 64 bits or better, possibly even floating point. I actually prefer this to digitally controlled attenuation in the output stage -- unless it is exceptionally well implemented.

4) Obviously keep the DAC at 0dB if feeding a preamp or headphone amp. Goes without saying.

5) If feeding a power amp directly, then choose the lowest gain setting offered by the amp that will still give you enough volume with the DAC at 0dB and playing loud music. And of course avoids clipping! Then adjust the DAC from there.

I use Gustard A18, which it is one hot DAC, putting out over 6Vrms through balanced XLR. Fortunately my Bryston power amp has dual gain pots, and I found a level where I can usually keep the DAC in the -10dB - 0dB range, although I may occasionally go as low as -20dB. It still sounds amazing!

X16 outputs the nominal 4Vrms and has lower distortion than A18, so you're off to a better start.

Still, if I were using a power amp with standard, fixed gain of 28dB, I'd say a preamp is needed. Otherwise you'd have to run the DAC at too low a volume setting, and much of that beautiful low THD+N of the X16 will be wasted. That said, it would have to be a good preamp to do a better job than the X16, even at -35dB.

Of course one can use attenuators (as suggested by @lizhuoyin). Or at least use RCA-to-XLR cables, which will cut output from the DAC in half.

Just my thoughts :)

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

1) Volume control performed on the DAC will NOT affect MQA decoding, as already posted by @Veri and others. I assume this is also true when using the DAC just as MQA renderer, but not 100% sure. Software Volume Control performed by the source (PC, Streamer etc) will definitely break MQA.

2) Gustard is adamant about keeping the DAC's volume at 0dB (max volume). And there is no doubt adjusting volume on the DAC will affect distortion, as logic dictates. The question is how far can you go before it's audible? The IMD graph indicates that distortion picks up from around -12dB (courtesy of the ESS hump) but then flattens out around -25dB. Even at -35dB it's still pretty great.

3) According to posts by @gustard earlier in this thread, volume control is NOT implemented in the output stage, unlike some DACs that are meant to work as preamps. So it's using the DAC chip's volume control, which we must assume is implemented at 64 bits or better, possibly even floating point. I actually prefer this to digitally controlled attenuation in the output stage -- unless it is exceptionally well implemented.

4) Obviously keep the DAC at 0dB if feeding a preamp or headphone amp. Goes without saying.

5) If feeding a power amp directly, then choose the lowest gain setting offered by the amp that will still give you enough volume with the DAC at 0dB and playing loud music. And of course avoids clipping! Then adjust the DAC from there.

I use Gustard A18, which it is one hot DAC, putting out over 6Vrms through balanced XLR. Fortunately my Bryston power amp has dual gain pots, and I found a level where I can usually keep the DAC in the -10dB - 0dB range, although I may occasionally go as low as -20dB. It still sounds amazing!

X16 outputs the nominal 4Vrms and has lower distortion than A18, so you're off to a better start.

Still, if I were using a power amp with standard, fixed gain of 28dB, I'd say a preamp is needed. Otherwise you'd have to run the DAC at too low a volume setting, and much of that beautiful low THD+N of the X16 will be wasted. That said, it would have to be a good preamp to do a better job than the X16, even at -35dB.

Of course one can use attenuators (as suggested by @lizhuoyin). Or at least use RCA-to-XLR cables, which will cut output from the DAC in half.

Excellent points. For me, I can go pretty high up in x16 volume like -5db for certain songs. So, I don't want to adjust my amps gain level lower, just in case I want to go louder.
: )

ivo.f.doma

Excellent answer. I finally understand! Well thank you.

sev1

Forum Donor
I finally got some batteries for my remote and it works fine, however I'm unable to enter DAC mode. Has anyone else been able to get it to DAC mode by holding down the DAC button on remote as described in the manual?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I finally got some batteries for my remote and it works fine, however I'm unable to enter DAC mode. Has anyone else been able to get it to DAC mode by holding down the DAC button on remote as described in the manual?
There is no DAC mode.

ABall

Forum Donor
#1,424

prerich

Just committed to buying one of these:D:cool::)

Dannemand

You will be very happy I'm sure, except for the display which is completely useless if it's going to sit more than 2 feet away from your face, never satisfied me, happy, but never satisfied. I turn mine off because I couldn't read it if it was on anyway!

I much agree about the display. I have A18, with which I am incredibly happy -- except for that tiny display with its tiny font. Using it at any distance with the remote is hopeless. So I finally put it on Auto-OFF, mainly to protect the OLED from burn-in.

And THEN did I realize the only thing this display is good for: To see if my remote click registers (which it often doesn't unless pointed exactly at the DAC). If the display comes on, I know it registered. So now I CAN actually change inputs at distance, knowing it's 3 clicks between USB and Coax. Changing volume with accuracy is still impossible, but I guess that's what ears are for :p

navin

Hi,

I stumbled on to this thread while about streaming MQA files from Tidal via the I2S output of a Pi2AES Raspberry Pi HAT (see link) to the Gustard X16.

PI2AES - PRO AUDIO SHIELD - Pi2 Design

Is there some specific software (Moode, Max2Play) required to decode/unfold MQA (from the Raspberry Pi/Pi2AES) or will the Gustard X16 accept any stream of bits from the Pi2AES I2S output and decode and render the MQA files?

Thanks.

Top Bottom