• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Blew

I switched to RP4 (with Ropieee) and am now using ethernet instead of WiFi. So far so good. But now I have an RP3A I can't use and I probably need to buy another RP4 for other stuff.

But after 20 minutes (not long enough) -- zero noise, pops, dropouts.
Over the last week I've been testing the latest piCorePlayer on a RP3B (not B+) streaming various FLAC and DSD files over 2.4GHz wifi to a new Topping E50 connected via USB and so far have had no issues that weren't related to noise on the 2.4GHz band. ie nothing related to the USB bus. No pops/clicks/dropouts yet. Interesting. I ended up going for the Topping because of price and the fact that it's firmware upgradable.

I have a RPI4 coming anyway but it seems the only advantage that will provide me is the 5GHz wifi spectrum.

FOB69

Hi,

Question : with combo X16 + H16, if i want to 1/ change the input 2/ setup the H16 analog volume control with the remote, i have to push 3 seconds remote on "DAC", change the input with the arrow, push 3 second the remote on "amp", change the volume ?

consigliere-perroni

Gustard replied to my email about the V5.30.0 update for X16.

I was right in my observations. my ears are good ;)

Thank you Gustard

I'm a happy X16 owner for three weeks now, how does one go about updating the firmware?

@gustard ?

I'm connected through XLR and I lost the left channel the other day, turned off and on the X16 and immediately fixed the problem, I'm guessing a firmware update will address this bug.

mdunjic

Can its volume ctrl be disabled and it be used as a pure DAC, JUST WITH fixed XLR output into Benchmark LA4 ? i.e. does setting its volume ctrl to 0dB effectively means bypassing it, so that only preamplifier volume ctrl is used?

Last edited:

FOB69

2 weeks of use ...

This DAC is a killer. Detailled, dynamic, wide and deep soundstage, neutral but not cold and not so much analytical. It grooves. It outperforms my AudioGD NFB29 9038 except if i am below -30db.
The tones are wonderfull (I have some on the basses for the first time on my system).
I did test it straight plugged on my linn power block (digital volume control only), on my linn power block with the digital volume control and a -15db analog attenuator, and with the Gustard H16 preamp (analog volume control) between the DAC and power block.
Both Gustard H16 and analog attenuator downgrade the SQ, mostly on tones and reliefs.
The less there are component on signal path, the best it is (except at very low volume). looking at the PCB Gustard have made a minimal classical perfect implementation.
I did test the NOS mode ON with over sampling X0, X2, X4 with Roon, however i found that none of us are better than the NOS mode OFF.

The Oled display is marketing designed by Gustard for not to be red from your sofa in order to 1/sell the H16, 2/ not to kill the X18 marketing segment.
My system is both audiophile and home theatre and i often switch between optical and usb. Both are consecutive on the input list so it is not difficult to switch even if i cannot read the display.

I did hesitate a long time to switch the X16 with X18. I did not test the X18 but i would bet that X16 is better.
Why : 1/ there is one dedicated ship for each canal that cannot be effect less on crosstalk. 2/ there is one embeded linear regulator, INSIDE each chip for the first time on ESS Sabre. A critical step on each Dac implementation is the chip supply quality. Here it cannot be better.

Two major upgrades for the X16 :

Gustard X16 Display firmware update : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07K5T446N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image0.jpeg

and remote uprade : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B004W3O63S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image1 2.jpeg

B.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi all x16 owners, I found something odd when doing online timing tests at

Using Windows 10 Speakers Properties Advanced setting, I found that using different bit rate would cause different hi hat sound when playing the sample files as provided by the web site.

For example:
16 bit, 44100 and 16 bit, 48000 - hi hat sounded strong and sharp

With the following the hi hat sounded much softer:
24 bit, 44100
24 bit, 48000
32 bit, 44100
32 bit, 48000

The amp is Topping L30. Headphones used are K371 and HE400SE. Browser is Chrome.

I checked with Topping E30 and KTB and I did not hear such difference. For both DAC, the hi hat sounded similar using any of the settings.

I wonder if this has anything to do with using the original firmware. I am still using the firmware that came with it.

When possible, would you please help check if you can hear such hi hat difference with your x16?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
2 weeks of use ...

This DAC is a killer. Detailled, dynamic, wide and deep soundstage, neutral but not cold and not so much analytical. It grooves. It outperforms my AudioGD NFB29 9038 except if i am below -30db.
The tones are wonderfull (I have some on the basses for the first time on my system).
I did test it straight plugged on my linn power block (digital volume control only), on my linn power block with the digital volume control and a -15db analog attenuator, and with the Gustard H16 preamp (analog volume control) between the DAC and power block.
Both Gustard H16 and analog attenuator downgrade the SQ, mostly on tones and reliefs.
The less there are component on signal path, the best it is (except at very low volume). looking at the PCB Gustard have made a minimal classical perfect implementation.
I did test the NOS mode ON with over sampling X0, X2, X4 with Roon, however i found that none of us are better than the NOS mode OFF.

The Oled display is marketing designed by Gustard for not to be red from your sofa in order to 1/sell the H16, 2/ not to kill the X18 marketing segment.
My system is both audiophile and home theatre and i often switch between optical and usb. Both are consecutive on the input list so it is not difficult to switch even if i cannot read the display.

I did hesitate a long time to switch the X16 with X18. I did not test the X18 but i would bet that X16 is better.
Why : 1/ there is one dedicated ship for each canal that cannot be effect less on crosstalk. 2/ there is one embeded linear regulator, INSIDE each chip for the first time on ESS Sabre. A critical step on each Dac implementation is the chip supply quality. Here it cannot be better.

Two major upgrades for the X16 :

Gustard X16 Display firmware update : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07K5T446N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 185723

and remote uprade : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B004W3O63S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 185724

B.
If you ever have the opportunity to compare your X16 with the X18, I would be very interested in your impression.
I had listened to and compared the x16 and A18 MQA with 3 other DACs a few months ago.
I kept the A18 because I liked the resolution, details, stage and timing better than the other DACs, but mainly because I found the sound impression very relaxing.
The difference to the X16 was very small, and without pieces of music that I was very familiar with, I would hardly have heard a difference.

The X18 is even more elaborately designed, including using the ES9311Q to power the ES9038Pro.

Thanks for the tip with remote control, just ordered;)

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Over the last week I've been testing the latest piCorePlayer on a RP3B (not B+) streaming various FLAC and DSD files over 2.4GHz wifi to a new Topping E50 connected via USB and so far have had no issues that weren't related to noise on the 2.4GHz band. ie nothing related to the USB bus. No pops/clicks/dropouts yet. Interesting. I ended up going for the Topping because of price and the fact that it's firmware upgradable.

I have a RPI4 coming anyway but it seems the only advantage that will provide me is the 5GHz wifi spectrum.

I'm running a test. I have everything (Tidal, Qobuz, my library) upsampled to DSD 256 with Roon. So far so good

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Pardon me if someone answered this already…but can you use both outputs at the same time without hurting the unit, one set for the amp and the other for a sub.

MiLi

Does anyone use Gustard X16 on Linux. Can you tell me how it works?
My DAC X16 is connected to Raspberry PI4 via USB, RPI is running Linux. RPI with Volumio is my main streamer. In the past I use to run Moode Audio for year. Both of them have been working flawlessly. I switched to Volumio because Tidal support

AndreaT

Just received mine today. First impression: it has elevated the listening pleasure of a so-so server, whose so-so DAC is now mercifully bypassed (Cambridge Audio CXN v.1). It makes the Krell KAV-300i/Revel M20/REL T5 sub sing better, with DAC at 0db and analog XLR input to Krell.
I will try the Krell preamplifier bypass option next (cannot use analog XLR Gustard output though). Fine DAC that measures like a $ 20k one, and sounds great.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Just received mine today. First impression: it has elevated the listening pleasure of a so-so server, whose so-so DAC is now mercifully bypassed (Cambridge Audio CXN v.1). It makes the Krell KAV-300i/Revel M20/REL T5 sub sing better, with DAC at 0db and analog XLR input to Krell.
I will try the Krell preamplifier bypass option next (cannot use analog XLR Gustard output though). Fine DAC that measures like a $ 20k one, and sounds great.
Are you going to bypass the Krell by going directly to the amp with unbalanced RCA?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I predict that won't work well.....

I have the Gustard going to the amp via XLR (a higher voltage than RCA) and it works well. I use the Gustard for volume control and I have the sub wired with high level speaker wires.

I did have a preamp when I used the RCA outputs, however.

AndreaT

Unclear to me if the Krell KAV-300i has truly balanced line inputs or if they are the cheap cosmetic dressing on the cake. The Gustard X16 improves also the radio streaming function of the CXN when the signal is 192kb or higher, or so it seems.

MiLi

I predict that won't work well.....

I have the Gustard going to the amp via XLR (a higher voltage than RCA) and it works well. I use the Gustard for volume control and I have the sub wired with high level speaker wires.

I did have a preamp when I used the RCA outputs, however.
Use X16 for volume control is possible, but has negative impact on output signal quality - signal/noise ratio.
see

Top Bottom