• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

cecelo01

WARNING!!

Gustard has released new firmware (V.5.30.0), I have Gustard X16 on my main system. After updating the firmware, it was noticed:

. Better detailing.
. Better decoding at low frequencies, bass is drier and faster.
. Best 3D image in stereo.
. Overall, the X16's performance has improved. What was very good, is now excellent. They made a great fine-tuning of the decoding process.

My system: Integrated Luxman, MA Gold 200 4G, notebook optimized for 2ch (HQ Player 4) and marantz sacd/cd player

. http://www.gustard.cn/?page_id=8956

Veri

Master Contributor
WARNING!!

Gustard has released new firmware (V.5.30.0), I have Gustard X16 on my main system. After updating the firmware, it was noticed:

. Better detailing.
. Overall, the X16's performance has improved.
You know how often it is afterwards proven the firmware did actually nothing at all in terms of "sound" but just bug fixing? :p
How does one code "better 3D image" in firmware?

cecelo01

I have little time in the hobby, only 43 ;):p of my 60 years old. My space is dedicated, electrically and acoustically treated. I have seen and heard a lot of equipment throughout my life, EXPERIENCE is not lacking !!

When you fix some bugs, depending on which ones, device performance improves.

Here, performance has improved. It goes from everyone's ear. You don't know my space, so stay on top of your truths and I'll take mine, ok?

Veri

Master Contributor
You don't know my space, so stay on top of your truths and I'll take mine, ok?
This isn't the "share your own beliefs and truths" club you know.
@gustard any chance you could tell us what firmware V.5.30.0 is supposed to fix?

Reactions: RHO

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
WARNING!!

. Better detailing.
. Overall, the X16's performance has improved. What was very good, is now excellent. They made a great fine-tuning of the decoding process.

My system: Integrated Luxman, MA Gold 200 4G, notebook optimized for 2ch (HQ Player 4) and marantz sacd/cd player

. http://www.gustard.cn/?page_id=8956
How could you tell from the web site the firmware is for the X16?

cecelo01

Just read what I reported. I INSTALLED HERE AND UPDATED THE FIRMWARE OF MY X16. IF I POSTED AND WHY UPDATED MINE.

"

. Better detailing.

My system: Integrated Luxman, MA Gold 200 4G, notebook optimized for 2ch (HQ Player 4) and marantz sacd/cd player. "

Snoopy

Major Contributor
How do you install the firmware exactly? I thought it's not possible

Veri

Master Contributor
A link of the firmware?

I searched here and did not see x16 listed
How do you install the firmware exactly? I thought it's not possible
Ah, I see now. He must have installed XMOS v5.30 driver. Software. Not firmware. To even think it is firmware is a bad assumption from him.
And to claim all those changes from a software installation is simply laughable.

Veri

Master Contributor
When you open the X16 software on your computer, it says version "5.30.0"
Here the general changelog for this thesyscon software update. You can read this anytime here btw, publicly available.
-----------------------------------------------------
V5.30.0 (December 1, 2021)
-----------------------------------------------------
* New: support for Windows 10 (21H2)
* Fix: problem with only one MIDI direction
* Fix: scaling issues in control panel
* Chg: some improvements for MIDI
* Chg: sample rate recovery improved
* Chg: Documentation

You must really enjoy those MIDI improvements. :facepalm::facepalm: like I said. Bugfixes, support for higher Windows. That's it. This is all in your head @cecelo01. You updated the Windows driver. The gustard has no firmware flashed by that. It functions the same. 100% an example of expectation bias and placebo at work.

Or you know... prove your assumptions, hard to take your word for it.

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I occasionally get a very slight crackle in the audio and I’m guessing it’s USB related. I was thinking of investing in a Allo DigiOne for my Raspi3 Roon end point and using the digital output to the DAC instead of USB. Anybody have experience with the Allo?

https://darko.audio/2017/08/allos-digione-pulls-five-star-sound-quality-from-the-raspberry-pi/

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Yes it is ridiculous when people fool themselves into thinking they hear audible changes from a new driver or firmware update without any actual confirmation from the company that the changes could effect sound quality. Very head-fi thinking.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Just read what I reported. I INSTALLED HERE AND UPDATED THE FIRMWARE OF MY X16. IF I POSTED AND WHY UPDATED MINE.

"

. Better detailing.

My system: Integrated Luxman, MA Gold 200 4G, notebook optimized for 2ch (HQ Player 4) and marantz sacd/cd player. "
You need to take the x16 apart to update firmware

Reactions: RHO

cecelo01

You need to take the x16 apart to update firmware
My X16 does NOT have the problem of hiss and pops on the DSD/DSF track. ;)

The SU9 is in my second set. Integrated Denon PMA 2000 IVR, Dynaudio Books, Denon scad/cd sources and Hiby R2. I don't have a computer on the second setup.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
The masked avenger (You must be a pretty weird person to have this profile picture. :eek::oops: KKKK!!!!), shouldn't even give credit. Note that I mentioned the word software.
You also mentioned firmware, a couple of times :p but I don't get the feeling you're the kind of humble person to own up to an honest mistake. No, much better to double down, right?

You're not even a Gustard employee, so your opinion doesn't matter.
99,99% of this forum is comprised of non-Gustard employees. I guess none of our opinions matter? What kind absolute bonkers statement is that?

MiRaGe_BG

I was thinking of investing in a Allo DigiOne for my Raspi3 Roon end point and using the digital output to the DAC instead of USB. Anybody have experience with the Allo?

https://darko.audio/2017/08/allos-digione-pulls-five-star-sound-quality-from-the-raspberry-pi/

Amazing sound quality, you won't regret. But go for DigiOne Signature, don't make mistake to buy DigiOne only, you will eventually upgrade to Signature. The difference between two is huge in favor of Signature.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I thought the signature just included the raspberry which I already have? Is there more to the story.

MiRaGe_BG

I thought the signature just included the raspberry which I already have? Is there more to the story.
Much more. It has two power inputs - for clean and dirty power, wider soundstage and better placement and separation of the vocals/instruments.
It is way better than DigiOne.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Top Bottom