• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great recordings of classical music

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Hi @JaMaSt

I find the video quite nice. But it stands in contrast to the kitschy pop trash that this girl group usually publishes. It would be interesting to know in which old castle the video was shot. By the way, in the area where we live today there are a lot of such castles with a morbid charm and we know a few people who live in them. It's a nice setting for house concerts.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
It has been suggested by some critics that if Mozart lived in the 20th century, he would have become a pop musician, but that is speculative of course. :);)

Yes, it’s easy to be a critic. One might also speculate that Humphrey Searle would have been soling shoes in Mozart’s days. Few composers have pulled off the feat of pleasing ordinary people without musical education, fellow composers, musical scholars and critics – all at the same time, with the same composition. Mozart did.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
As someone else has noted the problem with Mackerras is that he observes all the repeats.

Nothing more bastardly than following the composer’s instructions!

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Yes, it’s easy to be a critic. One might also speculate that Humphrey Searle would have been soling shoes in Mozart’s days. Few composers have pulled off the feat of pleasing ordinary people without musical education, fellow composers, musical scholars and critics – all at the same time, with the same composition. Mozart did.
Yes, quite possibly. :)

The popularity of these two composers cannot be compared. I only became aware of Searle in passing, but I am listening to some of his pieces with interest today and add it to my 'Contemporary' playlist on Deezer.

searle.jpg

searle1.jpg

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The popularity of these two composers cannot be compared.

Ah, but popularity isn’t the issue. It’s the speculation that Mozart would have been a pop musician in the 20th century (churning out 3-chord songs), when it is abundantly clear that he would have been a jazz musician, indulging in his love for improvisation.
;)

Joel G

Hi Joel

This is great, double bass is part of the family and I don't dislike it any less with its full, earthy sound. I especially like small ensembles where the instruments individually come into their own and I like to be close to them. Fortunately, I have this opportunity more often. I find contemporary classic the most interesting, where extended playing techniques are often used.

Foto I made recently in Dresden:

View attachment 265747
Hi @computer-audiophile sorry for the late reply to this post. Very interesting cello part, looks as if it could be played upside down as well! And very interesting way of seating, whose music are they performing/recording? Best regards

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Hi @computer-audiophile sorry for the late reply to this post. Very interesting cello part, looks as if it could be played upside down as well! And very interesting way of seating, whose music are they performing/recording? Best regards
Hi Joel

If you are referring to my photo, I am trying to remember what it was. Works by the composer Anna Korsun were played, I think.

There is a very interesting and enjoyable event format at the Festspielhaus Hellerau in Dresden that we have attended regularly for many years. It's called 'Composers for Breakfast'. (Komponist:innen zum Frühstück)

It is a Sunday matinee, there is breakfast in a relatively small circle of insiders and music lovers. A usually relatively young composer is introduced, interviewed and exemplary works are performed. As far as I know, no recordings are made. In this way we have already met quite a few young composers and also got into conversation with some of them.

hellerau1.jpg

hellerau2.jpg

Last edited:

Joel G

Hi Joel

If you are referring to my photo, I am trying to remember what it was. Works by the composer Anna Korsun were played, I think.

There is a very interesting and enjoyable event format at the Festspielhaus Hellerau in Dresden that we have attended regularly for many years. It's called 'Composers for Breakfast'. (Komponist:innen zum Frühstück)

It is a Sunday matinee, there is breakfast in a relatively small circle of insiders and music lovers. A usually relatively young composer is introduced, interviewed and exemplary works are performed. As far as I know, no recordings are made. In this way we have already met quite a few young composers and also got into conversation with some of them.

View attachment 267864

View attachment 267865
That looks cozy, almost like a private concert with the added breakfast. The microphones around made me think of a recording session, but they have perhaps electroacustic purposes? So nice that series like that have been going on for years and that they are still happening.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
That looks cozy, almost like a private concert with the added breakfast. The microphones around made me think of a recording session, but they have perhaps electroacustic purposes? So nice that series like that have been going on for years and that they are still happening.
To return to the topic of classical music (to be on topic)

Even though we like to go to the big houses, preferably not too big and famous where everyone runs to, we love the small concert formats in more familiar surroundings almost more. A nice place where a lot of classical chamber music is played is the Carl Maria von Weber Museum in Dresden. We go there several times a year.

A few photos of mine to illustrate:

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

The composer and his wife discovered the typical Saxon vintner's house on a walk. He spent the warmer seasons of 1818/19 and 1822 to 1824 here with his family, calling these the happiest times of his life. Significant parts of his oeuvre were written in this idyllic place.

Today, concerts and readings are held regularly in the intimate setting of the museum's interior, also outdoors when the weather is suitable.

w5.jpg

Joel G

Inspiring surroundings for music and lecture enjoyment! But as you mentioned and you are absolutely right, we have gotten off topic. Maybe a new thread on live concerts and performances could come out of this de route? Even though it is hard to relate directly to home audio enjoyment, must think about it. Best regards

Joel G

Coming back to the topic, I was listening with joy this recording today:

Sergiù Celibidache: Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem/Symphony No.1

I know, there are fans and haters of maestro’s tempo choices. I just enjoyed it today with my just arrived @Audiophonics HPA-S400ET, connected directly to my Topping E30 (version 1) as DAC and volume control. Maybe it was the new amp, or it is a really good recording. Or both?

Happy listening. Ok, it is a Requiem. But the performance still made me smile many times

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

I'm listening to it via Deezer HiFi and my small JBL monitors right now. Tidal Master may sound better. I also have a Topping E30II DAC, but I'm not using it at the moment. I'm ambivalent about its sound.

Then I will think about where and why there are parts to smile about in this piece. :)

celi.jpg

Last edited:

Joel G

I'm listening to it via Deezer HiFi and my small JBL monitors. I don't have the master quality from Tidal, unfortunately. I also have a Topping E30II DAC, but I'm not using it at the moment. I'm ambivalent about its sound.

Then I think about where and why there are parts to smile about in this piece. :)

View attachment 267964
Perhaps I should have thought about it before firing it off on a foreign language, I meant more like goosebumps becoming smiles of pure chemical processes in my brain :)

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom