• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great recordings of classical music

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I don't know if any of you have noticed this (maybe Sokel?), but the majority of these recordings have one thing in common -- they were issued by Detusche Grammophon, RCA Red Seal, or Columbia Masterworks. I always look for these labels when I buy classical music, and I haven't been disappointed yet. But I will make a suggestion. Try to find any recording by the Moscow State Symphony, years 1965 - 1975 (I'm fortunate to have one) pressed by the old Soviet label MELODIA. They are quite rare, maybe our European members have better access.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Mozart: Symphonies 38-41 - 2007 - Charles Mackerras, Scottish Chamber Orchestra (Linn Records)

Performance is very good.

Sound quality is also very good.

I like this recording as I think it is rather good over all.

Listen to Symphony No. 41 in C Major, K. 551 'Jupiter': IV. Molto allegro, from this recording, here:

Everyone has different tastes in music, and I hate to say that I do not to enjoy Mozart's music as much as others do.
It has been suggested by some critics that if Mozart lived in the 20th century, he would have become a pop musician, but that is speculative of course. :);)

Pretorious

Mozart: Symphonies 38-41 - 2007 - Charles Mackerras, Scottish Chamber Orchestra (Linn Records)

Performance is very good.

Sound quality is also very good.

I like this recording as I think it is rather good over all.

Listen to Symphony No. 41 in C Major, K. 551 'Jupiter': IV. Molto allegro, from this recording, here:

I always thought this is one of the best performances of the 40th, if not the best, outside of pure period instrument recordings. Mackerras and his band nail that rhythm that begins the whole work; it sounds so tight, accurate, and engaging. I can easily second this recommendation.

LGD_

As someone else has noted the problem with Mackerras is that he observes all the repeats. But the playing is spirited.
IMHO, Mackerras is too fast and rushed.
I much prefer Solti:

1677185585388.png

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recommendation for entire ballet music of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" and "Cinderella".

As I shared here in my project thread, I enjoy Prokofiev: "Romeo and Juliet" (extracts), Charles Dutoit and Montreal Symphony Orchestra (POCL-1082 430 279-2 London - Polydor) a lot from time to time. Really good performance and great sound/recording quality.

Now, I would like to purchase entire music albums of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" and "Cinderella". We can find several such CD albums (usually two-CD set) on the Amazon site and docogs.com, but I would appreciate your recommendations and suggestions as to which ones to buy.

In this case, I prefer relatively recent digital recordings with good performance and excellent sound/recording quality.

Pretorious

Recommendation for entire ballet music of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" and "Cinderella".

As I shared here in my project thread, I enjoy Prokofiev: "Romeo and Juliet" (extracts), Charles Dutoit and Montreal Symphony Orchestra (POCL-1082 430 279-2 London - Polydor) a lot from time to time. Really good performance and great sound/recording quality.

Now, I would like to purchase entire music albums of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" and "Cinderella". We can find several such CD albums (usually two-CD set) on the Amazon site and docogs.com, but I would appreciate your recommendations and suggestions as to which ones to buy.

In this case, I prefer relatively recent digital recordings with good performance and excellent sound/recording quality.
I’m quite happy with the recording on DG by Seiji Ozawa. I’m not a connoisseur of this particular ballet but I like the performances in this recording over others I’ve heard a long while ago. It suits me well, so I recommend it to you. I find the sound quality to be good, but it isn’t one I’ve analyzed in anyway. I too would be willing for recommendations, in case I’m missing out.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I’m quite happy with the recording on DG by Seiji Ozawa. I’m not a connoisseur of this particular ballet but I like the performances in this recording over others I’ve heard a long while ago. It suits me well, so I recommend it to you
I am a real fan of R&J but not of Ozawa, in general. So, I recommend Maazel/Cleveland for the complete ballet without reservation. There are others, too, e.g., Gergiev/Mariinsky.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m quite happy with the recording on DG by Seiji Ozawa.

Thank you for your recommendation.
I found the info on this CD at several sites, and found this one-CD album is "highlights" consists of 21 tracks from the ballet music.

This time I would like to purchase "entire" ballet music of "Romeo and Juliet" consists of 46 tracks, I believe, like this 2-CD album.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B3%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%82%A8%E3%83%95-%E3%83%90%E3%83%AC%E3%82%A8-%E3%80%8A%E3%83%AD%E3%83%A1%E3%82%AA%E3%81%A8%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A5%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A8%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%80%8B-SHM-CD-2%E6%9E%9A%E7%B5%84/dp/B09F36Q3XP/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1552IL0P1TDAN&keywords=%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B3%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%82%A8%E3%83%95+%E3%83%AD%E3%83%A1%E3%82%AA&qid=1677199717&sprefix=%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-9

The same, entire music for "Cinderella", I would like to have.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recommend Maazel/Cleveland for the complete ballet

Thank you. How about the sound/recording quality (recorded in 1973) by your impression?

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are others, too, e.g., Gergiev/Mariinsky.

Also thank you for this info. Looks nice at least looking at amazon Japan site; relatively new recording in 1990 at Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg;
WS00005263.JPG

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Also thank you for this info. Looks nice at least looking at amazon Japan site; relatively new recording in 1990 at Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg;
Sorry. I was in error. I meant the Gergiev/LSO on SACD. I still prefer Maazel over everyone who has done the complete ballet. For excerpts, there are many good ones but I prefer Jarvi, Mravinsky and MTT.

Pretorious

Thank you for your recommendation.
I found the info on this CD at several sites, and found this one-CD album is "highlights" consists of 21 tracks from the ballet music.
You are most welcome. The Ozawa CD with the full ballet is also a two disc set and can be found here:

https://a.co/d/2GeJ1ir

I don’t know if that’ll route you to your local Amazon store but at least you’ll be able to look it up if not.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Ozawa CD with the full ballet is also a two disc set and can be found here:

Oh, really thank you so much! This one is also recorded DDD in 1986. I will soon try to find the 2-CD album on web sites in Japan. If I cannot, I can easily purchase through Amazon US.

Edit: Yes, I could find it on Amazon Japan and also on HMV sites; thank you! Highly possible to purchase both of Ozawa's (1986) and Gergiev's (1990).;) And maybe Maazel's (1973) also! Should be nice and interesting comparing these three.

Still waiting for recommendations for entire "Cinderella"...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

I hate to intrude, but I would like to ask your opinions. Could anyone point me to exceptional performances of any of the four symphonies of Robert Schumann?

Thank you.

Jim

Dismayed

I hate to intrude, but I would like to ask your opinions. Could anyone point me to exceptional performances of any of the four symphonies of Robert Schumann?

Thank you.

Jim
There are some excellent recordings available:

1677270018171.jpeg

1677270082201.jpeg

1677270155207.jpeg

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom