• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great performing Pre Amp in a full size chassis?

Oski1928

I’m considering changing my system around and building a system where each component measures excellently. In searching for a pre amp it would seem that the Topping Pre90 would be a no brainer, but aesthetics are very important to me.

I’m looking for a pre amp in a normal size chassis that performs in a similar ballpark to the Pre90. The Benchmark pre amp seems to be the next best option but I really do not like the look of it. Any other recommendations?

I’ll add that a home theater bypass would be an excellent feature for me.

Edit: if anyone comes back to this title page or if anyone new joins in. I am considering the Benchmark LA4 despite not loving the looks and the price being a little higher than I’d like (I would try and find a nice open box unit if I went with it). My question is if there is any way it can be used in a home theater bypass configuration? And if no, can a power amp with a set of rca and xlr inputs have two sources connected at once (one rca pair and one xlr pair? For instance a receivers pre outs into the rca and a stereo pre amp into the xlr?

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about Accuphase C-3900?
WS00005217.JPG

Attachments

• c-3900_e.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 63
  • c-3900_technical_information_p1-6.pdf
    828.4 KB · Views: 89
  • c-3900_technical_information_p7-11.pdf
    887.9 KB · Views: 94

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice looking as far as boxes of electronics go....altho splashing the "precision bla bla" across the front is kinda tacky. Likely awesome construction and spec. Then I looked at the price. LOL. Don't imagine many would be routing their purchase of one of these to Amir....but would be nice.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then I looked at the price. LOL.

Fully agree, Accuphase gears are rather expensive, but it includes their service and maintenance policy/practice.

I wrote here;
Accuphase provides repair and maintenance services for any of their past and present products sold in the past 50 years. Just one phone call to Accuphase, and they collect the amps (by the specially contracted transfer company having huge Accuphase boxes) at your home and they send it back to you afterwards; usually within one week quick and perfect service (in Japan) in reasonable cost after the warranty period. Of course the service is completely free within the warranty period.

I did it three times on my E-460; Accuphase's own decision to replace one capacitor (after the warranty period but of course free; a kind of gentle/generous preventive recall?), one repair for my mistake (short-circuit at SP terminals while operation) and one full overhaul maintenance.

They have several large storage rooms keeping huge amount of amp parts, including rather old capacitors, resistors, inductors and so on, used in their old products. In case if they cannot find the same parts, sometimes they even handmade it (by themselves or by contract-out) for perfect repair and maintenance, still in reasonable cost for us.

Their comparably high price list includes the cost covering such repair/maintenance policy, operation, human resources and services, I believe.

These policy and practice are of course the same for overseas users through the appointed dealers.

And I also wrote here;
Accuphase is intentionally restricting their export sales less than 30 % of their total business revenue in order to keep existing as an pure Japanese independent sustainable company;
http://www.accuphase.com/company_profile/a2_management_policies_2.pdf

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fully agree, Accuphase gears are rather expensive, but it includes their service and maintenance policy/practice.

I wrote here;
Accuphase provides repair and maintenance services for any of their past and present products sold in the past 50 years. Just one phone call to Accuphase, and they collect the amps (by the specially contracted transfer company having huge Accuphase boxes) at your home and they send it back to you afterwards; usually within one week quick and perfect service (in Japan) in reasonable cost after the warranty period. Of course the service is completely free within the warranty period.

I did it three times on my E-460; Accuphase's own decision to replace one capacitor (after the warranty period but of course free; a kind of gentle/generous preventive recall?), one repair for my mistake (short-circuit at SP terminals while operation) and one full overhaul maintenance.

They have several large storage rooms keeping huge amount of amp parts, including rather old capacitors, resistors, inductors and so on, used in their old products. In case if they cannot find the same parts, sometimes they even handmade it (by themselves or by contract-out) for perfect repair and maintenance, still in reasonable cost for us.

Their comparably high price list includes the cost covering such repair/maintenance policy, operation, human resources and services, I believe.

These policy and practice are of course the same for overseas users through the appointed dealers.

And I also wrote here;
Accuphase is intentionally restricting their export sales less than 30 % of their total business revenue in order to keep existing as an pure Japanese independent sustainable company;
http://www.accuphase.com/company_profile/a2_management_policies_2.pdf
Impressive in a way, but still not worth the price.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I wrote here and other posts in my project thread;:)
I am an end user audio enthusiast and I have no conflict of interest at all with any of the manufacturers (including Accuphase), import companies, distributors and audio shops relevant to this post. This post is not intending to intensively share objective and/or subjective evaluations of the candidate amplifiers, but I would like to share about how I would test and try candidate amplifiers in this project.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the price better in this article.

Agree, the price would vary depending on where do you live, and currency exchange rate, of course.;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmmz... No price given @ Canadian web sites...

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remarks for Accuphase C-3900:
WS00005218.JPG

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about NAD C658?

Full size component, includes Dirac, balanced outputs, plenty of digital and analogue inputs. Seems like a lot to like.

pma

Major Contributor
18 dB gain and 292 mV input sensitivity of C-3900 will be impractical with current DAC sources. The result will be unnecessary rise of noise and parameter degradation. And the parameters shown are not SOTA. It is too complicated for a preamp.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm guessing OP wants to lose all the networking and dac functions???

i do think there's hole in the market for a good half height analog line stage preamp w/ remote.

Maybe add xlr but it bumps up the price a lot. With all these excellent dacs and streamers I'm ok with no dac.

Top Bottom