• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great midrange drivers

Goodman

Anyone know of a great midrange driver equivalent to the ATC but at a reasonable price?

F

freemansteve

Are you just asking about a raw speaker unit to build into your own speaker design?

AudiOhm

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Satori MD60N-6 or Morel EM 1308 come to mind if you want something similar to what is used in ATC speakers.

If you are looking for something even cheaper, you could try the Dayton RS52AN-8.

bothu

Anyone know of a great midrange driver equivalent to the ATC but at a reasonable price?
I use this one :

This how it looks at place.

S 3.jpg

DanielT

Major Contributor

Also available in 4 Ohm. Used by Revel::)

It is tested and measured here, FR on and off axes, distortion levels at different power levels:

Copied here, see also page 4 in the thread where the element is used in another DIY as a midrange driver:

The slightly larger variant with ceramic coated surface:

This is used by many. Incredibly good sound, performance for that price. :) Just think of relatively low sensitivity. When to match it with other elements:

Taking in account the high technical performance and very low cost, TC9FD18-08, in my opinion, is just incredible speaker!

Another tip (which I now see that alex -z has already tipped about):

The realism of the mids with the RS52AN is astounding. It's not simply the clarity and transparency. It's fast. The attack of the voices and instruments must be heard to believe.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha JA-0801 8.8 cm (3.5") Beryllium midrange dome! You would please Search in this ASR Forum by "JA-0801", "Yamaha dome", "Yamaha Beryllium", "NS-1000", "NS-2000".

This thread entitled "Midrange dome drivers banned ?" would also give you much info on Yamaha JA-0801 Beryllium midrange dome and other great(?) midrange drivers.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TAD's CST Driver consists of vapor deposition Beryllium midrange corn (16 cm) plus 3.5 cm tweeter Beryllium dome. You would please refer to my post here.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The RS52AN is no longer viable as they have changed and now no longer have flat in band response.
That said, I've never been a fan of it.

JPA

Forum Donor
Volt makes a copy of the ATC SM75-150. I've never seen a review of it, so don't know if it's the same quality.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bushmeister got solid results from the Volt in his stacked spheres. But he also got amazing results horn-loading an SB65, so it's clearly not just the driver.

Digital_Thor

The SB Textreme. I use hte MW13TX and love it. Works great with an Augerpro waveguide and SB26ADC or Seas DXT :D Smooth response and easy to filter.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Taking in account the high technical performance and very low cost, TC9FD18-08, in my opinion, is just incredible speaker!
As if it wasn't famous already, yes, it is. To drive it to reasonable perfection it is best used from 500Hz to 1500Hz using two side by side, esp. not one over the other. The radiation pattern remains wide, don't worry. Add a waveguided tweeter, e/g Vifa 270.

Top Bottom