• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Graph interpretation

lordearl

Just getting started in the world of IEMs and looking at, for example, the attached two graphs of a single brand which offers a planar and dynamic driver model.

If I'm after a flat, neutral studio style sound with both tight unbloated bass and rolled off high frequencies (for ears sensitive to treble), which would be the better option?

Screenshot_2023-10-28-09-10-12-68_57e717c094f371a1dada6567a1123b99~3.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-28-09-09-53-51_57e717c094f371a1dada6567a1123b99~3.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
Neither of these graphs is particularly useful for interpreting the sound signature, since they don't even say what ear simulator was used.

Assuming that an IEC60318-4 compliant coupler was used to create these graphs, I'd say that the dynamic driver looks smooth in the treble but with bloated bass, whereas the planar one looks slightly less bloated, but with potentially problematic treble.

Instead of making us interpret (frankly shoddy) graphs, why not tell us your budget and then we can give you recommendations :)

OP
L

lordearl

Good thinking! Along the lines of $50USD to $200USD as a starting point as there seems to be around 100 or so manufacturers producing IEMs in this range! SIMGOT EW200 appears to fit the bill but I've been a fan of the bass in full size (over ear) planar headphones over the years...

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly I agree that you can try the Truthear Zero Red to start... it's a pretty neutral presentation, very clean for the money, and if you find it wanting you can go from there.

However, I would also recommend Etymotic for the stereotypical "studio" "clinical" sound, depending on your budget.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The ER4XR is my go-to IEM for on the go, however, I really cannot recommend it without EQ.

Others may call the sound "reference" or "analytical", but to me, it's simply harsh and honky and devoid of any bass impact. In my experience, bass notes are audible, but they're pushed behind the rest of the instruments in the mix.

Here's the ER4SR compared to my personal target in gray, which I consider flat/neutral with tight, unbloated bass:
Etymotic ER4SR vs static IEM target.png

Chyżwar

The ER4XR is my go-to IEM for on the go, however, I really cannot recommend it without EQ.

Others may call the sound "reference" or "analytical", but to me, it's simply harsh and honky and devoid of any bass impact. In my experience, bass notes are audible, but they're pushed behind the rest of the instruments in the mix.

Sorry, but if the ER4XR are "harsh and honky and devoid of any bass impact" to you, you simply are not putting them in your ear correctly.

Besides, I don't see any reason to use Etymotic if you don't like their tonality and have to use EQ. Why bother with deep insertion?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry, but if the ER4XR are "harsh and honky and devoid of any bass impact" to you, you simply are not putting them in your ear correctly.
Nonsense. I've been using IEMs for the better part of my life and the ER4 specifically for 5+ years.

I push them into my ear canal as deep as they will physically go, which is always a bit painful at the start, but gets better as the ear tips warm up and become a bit more compliant.

Furthermore, my ER4 sounds exactly as it graphs above and matches my other IEMs perfectly once EQed to the same target.

If you like that kind of sound signature, then that's perfectly fine, but an uncolored studio reference, it is not, imo.

Besides, I don't see any reason to use Etymotic if you don't like their tonality and have to use EQ. Why bother with deep insertion?
Deep insertion offers unparalleled noise isolation, which is why I use it.

Top Bottom