• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Graham Slee Reflex C Review (phono stage)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #21
Power supply should look like the unit linked below. Rectangular and taller but not wider than the preamp unit.
That's exactly what it looks like.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

patient_ot

Instructions say that the figure 8 connector at the power supply can be rotated 180 degrees to experiment with which polarity makes less noise.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #24
Instructions say that the figure 8 connector at the power supply can be rotated 180 degrees to experiment with which polarity makes less noise.
I am fairly certain I tried that to mo avail.

LTig

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is just not right. People who spend a thousand dollars (and more) for half a phono stage want all those pops, clicks, ticks and skips. It is what reminds them that they are listening to records, part of an exclusive and retro club as it were. It is part of what the effort is all about. Without those artifacts, the experience is just not the same. People think I am kidding. Or being ironic/facetious. But I'm not.
:facepalm:

Russ_L

Forum Donor
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/phono-preamps/accession-mm-phono-preamp.html

I had the Accession MM phono stage (Price: £936 ) on loan for a few months and was very happy with it. It was very quiet, better than my Bryston 0.5B phono stage (dead silent in fact) and in addition it significantly reduced pops and clicks. Contemplating the Pass XP-17 although to date I've only used high output MM or MI cartridges.

Russ

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/phono-preamps/accession-mm-phono-preamp.html

I had the Accession MM phono stage (Price: £936 ) on loan for a few months and was very happy with it. It was very quiet, better than my Bryston 0.5B phono stage (dead silent in fact) and in addition it significantly reduced pops and clicks. Contemplating the Pass XP-17 although to date I've only used high output MM or MI cartridges.

Russ
MM needs a gain of only about 40 dB. That is quite easy to do with low noise these days. I'm not impressed that a device costing nearly £1k can do that.

watchnerd

Major Contributor
This is just not right. People who spend a thousand dollars (and more) for half a phono stage want all those pops, clicks, ticks and skips. It is what reminds them that they are listening to records, part of an exclusive and retro club as it were. It is part of what the effort is all about. Without those artifacts, the experience is just not the same. People think I am kidding. Or being ironic/facetious. But I'm not.
You're not being facetious?

I certainly don't consider excessive pops and ticks to be part of what the effort is all about.

If your rig is making the pops and ticks situation worse, you're doing it wrong.

Hmm. I've been in audio for quite some time and am a member of a large audio club, many members of which use turntables. Never heard anyone say they like the ticks and the pops. If that were so, why would record cleaners, of all types, be so popular? And, please, not the old, "well, they just like to spend their time cleaning,.....................". That canard has been dragged out so many times it redefines hackneyed. It's about the music.

Top Bottom