• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good way to stream Amazon Music HD to DAC

JimmyBuckets

Has anyone figured out how to get Amazon HD to actually let your DAC play at the native bit and sample rate?

Bamyasi

My setup: 2 sony vintage transformers powering the 4K stick and HDMI extractor, the sound quality is better than normal 5V DC power supply. The 4K audio extractor follows the source data.
I found that the better the power supply, the better the sound quality. TVs, computer monitors or portable monitors can cause slight power noise, disconnect the HDMI monitor and the noise disappears and music plays in the background.
If you need audio extractor please PM me.
Once again, the fact that the app correctly switches sampling rates displayed under "Currently Playing at" to track the source sampling rates means nothing. Everything is actually upsampled to fixed 24/192 rate before going to HDMI output.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• PXL_20220527_212558733.jpg
    PXL_20220527_212558733.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 252

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This from AM FAQ-

In order to play Ultra HD, the external DAC at a minimum must be capable of processing files with a bit depth of 24-bit and sample rates of at least 44.1 kHz. Check the DAC specifications to ensure it can play higher sample rates available with Ultra HD (48 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz).

And from an Amazon Music forum:

"Our player chooses the highest sample available from the external DAC and sound recordings are upsampled to that rate.
Please let me know if you have any further questions!|"

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Bamyasi You seem to know a lot about this. What about using AM on a firestick? I'm using a firestick connected to me RME ADI-2 DAC FS. The sound quality is pretty good IMO, but I'm not expert and would love to know if it's a basic upsample and if the sound quality isn't much compromised in the end.

lzhbts

Once again, the fact that the app correctly switches sampling rates displayed under "Currently Playing at" to track the source sampling rates means nothing. Everything is actually upsampled to fixed 24/192 rate before going to HDMI output.
As you said, all upsampled to 192 before HDMI output, my 24/96 DAC shouldn't work, actually read the source data is 24/192 when the DAC lights won't light and there is no sound. 24/96 or 44.1 The data is completely fine.
Now I am very confused.

Bamyasi

As you said, all upsampled to 192 before HDMI output, my 24/96 DAC shouldn't work, actually read the source data is 24/192 when the DAC lights won't light and there is no sound. 24/96 or 44.1 The data is completely fine.
Now I am very confused.
Sorry, I meant to say upsampled to a highest sampling rate supported by the device or 192 kHz, whichever is higer. I was under impression all recent DACs should support at least 192 kHz sampling rate but apparently some still use older hardware.

Bamyasi

This from AM FAQ-

In order to play Ultra HD, the external DAC at a minimum must be capable of processing files with a bit depth of 24-bit and sample rates of at least 44.1 kHz. Check the DAC specifications to ensure it can play higher sample rates available with Ultra HD (48 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz).

And from an Amazon Music forum:

"Our player chooses the highest sample available from the external DAC and sound recordings are upsampled to that rate.
Please let me know if you have any further questions!|"
This answer is correct, sorry for confusion caused by my reply. I was unaware DACs not supporting 192 kHz sampling rate even exist in 2022. Yes, it is upsampled to 192 kHz or to the upper limit your device supports, if it is below 192 kHz.

lzhbts

This answer is correct, sorry for confusion caused by my reply. I was unaware DACs not supporting 192 kHz sampling rate even exist in 2022. Yes, it is upsampled to 192 kHz or to the upper limit your device supports, if it is below 192 kHz.
I wonder if the analog output of the 4K firestick to HDMI extractor is the final result of the conversion after upsampling? Please let me know if you know.
I've signed up to use Qobuz for a month and it's getting rid of these indeterminate results for amazon HD decoding for me.

Bamyasi

I wonder if the analog output of the 4K firestick to HDMI extractor is the final result of the conversion after upsampling? Please let me know if you know.
I've signed up to use Qobuz for a month and it's getting rid of these indeterminate results for amazon HD decoding for me.
Which analog output? Firestick has no built-in DAC of its own, so it can only output digital signal.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which analog output? Firestick has no built-in DAC of its own, so it can only output digital signal.
Fire stick HDMI out to an extractor into a DAC. Honestly it sounds fantastic. I'm just irked that it's being brought up that there's some kind of signal deprivation.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Fire stick HDMI out to an extractor into a DAC. Honestly it sounds fantastic. I'm just irked that it's being brought up that there's some kind of signal deprivation.
It's been like this for years with Amazon Music. On iOS and their Desktop apps (PC and Mac), it output PCM192k unless you manually change.

If you have a Bluesound Node the correct sample rate changes but the UI is shockingly old and limited.

That's cool that there is an Amazon Basics 4K HDMI extractor - I didn't know.

It's possible Amazon do an update that supports automatic sample rate switching but then again we've been saying that for years literally.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Didn't the Wiim just make this happen?

Music1969

Major Contributor
People might want to see what new beta firmware of WiiM Mini has introduced.

Seemingly what everyone wants from Amazon HD

Dumdum

Amazon has done upsampling as long as I’ve been serious about car audio again

Why does anyone who knows about audio think upsampling everything to the max is a good idea? They would get far more customers if they sent it in its native bit rate

Plus the app I found to be awful! Add 160 songs to a playlist and get 160 albums with one track on each

Top Bottom