• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good way to stream Amazon Music HD to DAC

Music1969

Major Contributor
Why does anyone who knows about audio think upsampling everything to the max is a good idea? They would get far more customers if they sent it in its native bit rate
See the thread above for WiiM Mini. Looks like there is now a streamer that by-passes the upsampling. Using the Amazon app, not an ugly 3rd party UI

Plus the app I found to be awful! Add 160 songs to a playlist and get 160 albums with one track on each

Yeh that part is a joke

Dumdum

See the thread above for WiiM Mini. Looks like there is now a streamer that by-passes the upsampling. Using the Amazon app, not an ugly 3rd party UI

Yeh that part is a joke
I have a WiiM mini, but I won’t subscribe to Amazon music as I use an iPad in the car for daily use so whatever I use has to behave from that… I use Apple Music If I use Amazon it upsamples everything to 384khz via my topping and no music plays as the dsp coax maxes out at 192khz

Music1969

Major Contributor
I have a WiiM mini, but I won’t subscribe to Amazon music as I use an iPad in the car for daily use so whatever I use has to behave from that… I use Apple Music If I use Amazon it upsamples everything to 384khz via my topping and no music plays as the dsp coax maxes out at 192khz
If you read that thread I linked above, you will see there's a new firmware out yesterday for beta testers, where the correct sample rate plays out of the WiiM optical output...

So it's currently behaving the way everyone wants it to... That's what this entire thread here is about.

Dumdum

If you read that thread I linked above, you will see there's a new firmware out yesterday for beta testers, where the correct sample rate plays out of the WiiM optical output...

So it's currently behaving the way everyone wants it to... That's what this entire thread here is about.
… and if you’d read what I need… I also need the streaming service to work fully on an iPad topping combo in my car and behave… the iPad is fully fitted into the dash

Music1969

Major Contributor
… and if you’d read what I need… I also need the streaming service to work fully on an iPad topping combo in my car and behave… the iPad is fully fitted into the dash
Bugger! That's a cool use case

This new WiiM firmware is not helpful for you sadly... but will be to everyone in this thread that's been looking for auto sample rate switching with Amazon HD and a streamer.

Will be popular

Dumdum

Bugger! That's a cool use case

This new WiiM firmware is not helpful for you sadly... but will be to everyone in this thread that's been looking for auto sample rate switching with Amazon HD and a streamer.

Will be popular
I compete at a very high level in sound quality competition so the iPad is a godsend as a fantastic source, coax from a topping d10s into a flagship dsp

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So is the source a smartphone with Amazon Music app and out via usb-c to 3.5 cable into Aux in on the Wiim then optical out to a DAC/AMP? Or are you getting that quality via LDAC wireless signal?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
So is the source a smartphone with Amazon Music app and out via usb-c to 3.5 cable into Aux in on the Wiim then optical out to a DAC/AMP? Or are you getting that quality via LDAC wireless signal?
WiFi

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So does this democratize the music services? Sound quality now equal via Amazon Music, Tidal, Qobuz? I'm pretty sure Amazon is the cheapest and especially if you pay annually as a Prime member. $7.41/month

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
So does this democratize the music services? Sound quality now equal via Amazon Music, Tidal, Qobuz? I'm pretty sure Amazon is the cheapest and especially if you pay annually as a Prime member. $7.41/month
Tidal is cheapest for me, and for any other US Veteran.

JimmyBuckets

Qobuz is pretty cheap. That is what I have been using for the last year or so. I decided to give Amazon HD a try again since it's so cheap and offers a bit different selection. I am using the RME ADI-2 DAC and it wants to play every track at 44.1...annoying. Qobuz has no issue.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there!

So far Amazon Music HD is the streaming service where I can find the best value for what they charge for their HD service. They really have pretty much any album I can think of and the quality seems really good too.

The only problem I have with it is how to stream it as they don't have an open API. Usually I use a Raspberry Pi where I run volumio. Right now I'm using a HifiBerry DAC+ but I've just ordered a Topping E30 DAC which hopefully will arrive soon.

Currently the only way I can stream is from my iPhone/iPad or Mac to the raspberry via Airplay. Or from the Mac via USB of course but that's not what I want to do usually because where the DAC is placed isn't where my Mac is. And I'm lazy so being able to select the next album with the iPhone over a convenient interface while sitting on the couch would be nice!

Is there a good solution to this yet? The only stuff I've seen are commercial solutions like Bluesound node 2i but that's not where I want to go. I mean maybe Airplay isn't the worst solution but I think the higher bitrates won't make it there but at least CD quality should be fine? I'm just worried there's too much stuff going on in between that might impact sound quality :/

Thanks for any ideas!

Marco
If you’re using iPhone and Airplay Apple Music is probably a better choice.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Qobuz is pretty cheap. That is what I have been using for the last year or so. I decided to give Amazon HD a try again since it's so cheap and offers a bit different selection. I am using the RME ADI-2 DAC and it wants to play every track at 44.1...annoying. Qobuz has no issue.
You see every track at 44.1 on Qobuz?

JimmyBuckets

You see every track at 44.1 on Qobuz?
No. With Qobuz the RME reflects the same rates that Qobuz indicates. If the track says 96KHz RME displays 96KHz if it's 88 it shows 88. Works as intended. This is the same with my JDS Labs Atom+ DAC verified through the JDS ASIO control panel.

JimmyBuckets

So...just went into windows setting and changed the rate for the Atom+ to 24/192. Now when using Amazon Music, and I click on the hd icon on the current song, it now shows the rate of the song...the device capability (now showing 24/192) and the rate that the song is playing...which now matches what the song says under the hd icon. So this makes me happy to know the rate is now matching.
I tried to do the same thing for the RME ADI-2 DAC, but for some reason under windows it only gives me an option of 16/44.1 or 24/44.1. Not sure how to make windows realize the ADI-2 has more sample rates available. Any suggestions?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don't think anything has touched what we're now seeing with WiiM
We haven't seen much with the WiiM. There's quite a few bugs and only limited number of people testing/reporting.

It will be more interesting when it gets wider release and more people can test.

My unit arrives next week so I will also test if I can get on beta group.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We haven't seen much with the WiiM. There's quite a few bugs and only limited number of people testing/reporting.

It will be more interesting when it gets wider release and more people can test.

My unit arrives next week so I will also test if I can get on beta group.
Did you get yours? I'm up to four of them now...

Music1969

Major Contributor
Did you get yours? I'm up to four of them now...
Not yet.

Are you running the beta release for Amazon HD on all 4 ?

There are quite a few bugs documented in WiiM thread.

I'm referring to Amazon UHD casting beta bugs specifically. That's really the only feature I'm interested in because there's nothing else that does this so far.

Top Bottom