• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good headphone for vocals (max 300$)

Den

Hello!
Looking for a headphone where the vocals reproduction really shine. Both female and male vocals. I was thinking about a headphone in the 300$ range.
Thanks alot for any answers.

Best regards.

AudiOhm

What headphones have you tried or looked at so far?

Ohms

OP
D

Den

What headphones have you tried or looked at so far?

Ohms
Not many, just started. I have dali io4, actually like them but want to try more. Also have senn hd558 for a long time ago. Was thinking about to try akg 371, maybe some grado or focal listen. Also I forget to say that I want it to be kinda portable. Not too big.
Thanks

someguyontheinternet

Sure, why not. Any specific model?
The Chu is probably the best inexpensive choice at 20$ and matches FR with the 300$ more expensive Blessing2 (reviewed by Amir) by the same company.
More expensive models by Moondrop more or less follow the same FR, but I assume they have lower tolerances in the QC process which drives up cost. That is only speculation by me though and not confirmed by any data.

Reactions: Den
OP
D

Den

The Chu is probably the best inexpensive choice at 20$ and matches FR with the 300$ more expensive Blessing2 (reviewed by Amir) by the same company.
More expensive models by Moondrop more or less follow the same FR, but I assume they have lower tolerances in the QC process which drives up cost. That is only speculation by me though and not confirmed by any data.
Did some research, seems really nice. I ordered the starfield. should I cancel it and order the shu you think?

someguyontheinternet

Did some research, seems really nice. I ordered the starfield. should I cancel it and order the shu you think?
That will depend entirely on what you consider a better deal. Pay less and deal with a potential for more imperfections or pay more for something with more polishing behind it.

I think both ways are fine choices and it ultimately depends on what you want to go for.

Chyżwar

There is no such thing as one curve that will tell you when the sound is accurate. There is no such thing as one correct measurement that will tell you how the headphones sound to you. Depending on the shape of the ear and many other facts, people hear sound very differently.
The ER2XR are more realistic because they have a very smooth sound, with no audible peaks and dips. The Chu and the Starfield both have audible peaks on the treble.

Voo

grab headphones that are super comfy for long hours 1st and foremost. dont forget about dac's, amps, tubes, eq, dsp can also play a fun part in the game.

sennheiser, fostex models are really good

zermak

The Chus are a cheap model; I waited some weeks to get them cause of the huge demand and I receievd a broken model (the metal hole cover fell off the first time I put them on, the glue failed, and the plastic-ish shield cover, that act as a frequency filter I suppose, beind it was unglued and didn't cover the hole properly so I asked for a refund) but the most important thing is that they have a strage shape and a weird way to be used in the ears with the cable going down instead of over your ear (I am used to the KZ ZS10 Pro that are way easier to wear and have the plastic shaped band on the cable that goes on top of the ear and then behind it that helps to hold the IEM in place).
I suggest you to check the Aria model instead. It seems a better bet and it is cheaper than the Starfield :)

Chyżwar

I suggest you to check the Aria model instead. It seems a better bet and it is cheaper than the Starfield :)

Personally, I find the Chu much more comfortable than the Aria and Starfield because they are smaller and won't put pressure on my ear. So it's completely subjective. And I think the price difference between these models is ridiculous. The Chu is just the Aria with less bass, they may sound a little too bright for some, but on the other hand, the Aria sounds a bit dark and muddy. The Kato sounds a bit better (because of a smoother treble) but they are much more expensive. In the end, I sold all my Moondrops and left the Chu which I use with the EQ or with other ear tips.

OP
D

Den

Personally, I find the Chu much more comfortable than the Aria and Starfield because they are smaller and won't put pressure on my ear. So it's completely subjective. And I think the price difference between these models is ridiculous. The Chu is just the Aria with less bass, they may sound a little too bright for some, but on the other hand, the Aria sounds a bit dark and muddy. The Kato sounds a bit better (because of a smoother treble) but they are much more expensive. In the end, I sold all my Moondrops and left the Chu which I use with the EQ or with other ear tips.
I ordered the chu aswell. Will try it first, if I'm happy I will just return the starfield. Thanks for sharing your experience. When researching on the Web, its alot of different thoughts. Its better trying at your own and make up your own experience of course.

OP
D

Den

I agree. I find the chu much more superior to the starfield. Will probably keep the chu and return the starfield. Actually didnt quite like the starfield.

markanini

Major Contributor
Beyerdynamic DT880. I love IEMs but I've never fallen in love with voices like on an open back.

Top Bottom