• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli JNOG2 Review (Balanced DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 70 31.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 107 48.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 33 14.9%

• Total voters

CapMan

Major Contributor
IMG_4156.jpeg
The colour scheme is clearly inspired by the now retired RAF strategic ‘Vulcan’ bomber

bbjayo

I've had a J2 for about a month now. It sounds pretty good but I am having one issue with it. I stream using a Wiim Pro (mostly Tidal connect) connected via coax. I've noticed that during playlists where the track sample rate changes, there's a pop between tracks. It's annoying. I don't think it's an issue with the stramer because I had an SU-1 connected to it for months prior and didn't hear any pops from that.

I also had my TV connected to the J2 via optical but there were pops every time the channel changed so I'm connecting that to a different DAC now. I know the manual says that you'll hear a pop when the source changes so maybe that's what's happening. I've played around with the sample rate switch latency in the Wiim app but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Has anyone with a J2 run into this problem or who could test and let me know if they can replicate?

Thanks

Cool Runnings

I've had a J2 for about a month now. It sounds pretty good but I am having one issue with it. I stream using a Wiim Pro (mostly Tidal connect) connected via coax. I've noticed that during playlists where the track sample rate changes, there's a pop between tracks. It's annoying. I don't think it's an issue with the stramer because I had an SU-1 connected to it for months prior and didn't hear any pops from that.

I also had my TV connected to the J2 via optical but there were pops every time the channel changed so I'm connecting that to a different DAC now. I know the manual says that you'll hear a pop when the source changes so maybe that's what's happening. I've played around with the sample rate switch latency in the Wiim app but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Has anyone with a J2 run into this problem or who could test and let me know if they can replicate?

Thanks
Yes I get pops on my J2 whenever I switch tracks mid song or turn it off or on. But no pops if I use a SMSL or Topping DAC in exactly the same set up and situation.

bbjayo

Yes I get pops on my J2 whenever I switch tracks mid song or turn it off or on. But no pops if I use a SMSL or Topping DAC in exactly the same set up and situation.
Thanks, that's a bummer but at least I know it's not just me.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I love listening to music on my system as much as I love using music to listen to my system.

I don't have golden ears but I must say that the J2 sounds fantastic in my office set-up. Tidal streamed through Ifi Zen Stream USB to the J2 then XLR out to SMSL DA-9 (with neutral flat filter settings) then out to Sound Artist LS3/5As reinforced with REL TZeros. I willl occasionally stream FLAC files from my music server through to the J2 as well.

Yes I agree that the J2 could have a screen and be a bit more user friendly with the controls. But once set-up for my use case, I don't have to fuss or worry about the J2 or my set-up anymore and I can just enjoy pretty much all genres of music with this budget set-up. Everything I need is there. The highs are crystal clear and airy, soundstage is good, imaging is pin-point, mids are fantastic, vocals are clear, bass is more than good enough. Musicality, speed, details all there.

I guess my point is that measurements are one thing. Essential to have and to know for sure especially to avoid big issues but it can't be the beginning and end point to choosing what is the right system. It's really important to go beyond measurements and into actual listening and trial and error. It may get frustrating sometimes but once you get it right, immeasurably rewarding.View attachment 285728
You got some key points, yet I would like to point out that this was my first official stand alone dac. My second being the topping D70s and the D70s is far superior overall in every aspect to the audio reproduction.

I still use my D70s in my reference system and it’s only gotten better.

But back to the key points, one you made as well. According to Geshelli they have a golden ear’d individual who chose the AKM chip pre factory fire and found the akm chip to be the suitable candidate. So they take a clear approach of subjective and I guess objective as they do have an audio analyzer.

I’m certain if Geshelli used a better Dac it would be fairly similar if implemented correctly without being sterile even if the measurements were perfect.

Clearly it’s twice the price and that might not be everyone’s thing.

I also have the FiiO Q5S which uses the same dac chip x2 and was cheaper plus is better than J2 akm, objectively and subjectively. It’s my go to travel device.

I’m not here to bash Geshelli, but as I pointed the customer service was really bad and I really hope for their companies sake no one gets the same experience I did. Pointed out in numerous previous posts on this thread.

We’re about to reach three years since I bought that dac and not much has changed. I’m not asking them to be chifi and dish out a dac a month but it seems like a stalemate to me. I’m certain they probably got something in the works as we speak, I would hope. However if it’s more expensive and performs the same as this dac the poops really going to hit the fan

Cool Runnings

You got some key points, yet I would like to point out that this was my first official stand alone dac. My second being the topping D70s and the D70s is far superior overall in every aspect to the audio reproduction.

I still use my D70s in my reference system and it’s only gotten better.

But back to the key points, one you made as well. According to Geshelli they have a golden ear’d individual who chose the AKM chip pre factory fire and found the akm chip to be the suitable candidate. So they take a clear approach of subjective and I guess objective as they do have an audio analyzer.

I’m certain if Geshelli used a better Dac it would be fairly similar if implemented correctly without being sterile even if the measurements were perfect.

Clearly it’s twice the price and that might not be everyone’s thing.

I also have the FiiO Q5S which uses the same dac chip x2 and was cheaper plus is better than J2 akm, objectively and subjectively. It’s my go to travel device.

I’m not here to bash Geshelli, but as I pointed the customer service was really bad and I really hope for their companies sake no one gets the same experience I did. Pointed out in numerous previous posts on this thread.

We’re about to reach three years since I bought that dac and not much has changed. I’m not asking them to be chifi and dish out a dac a month but it seems like a stalemate to me. I’m certain they probably got something in the works as we speak, I would hope. However if it’s more expensive and performs the same as this dac the poops really going to hit the fan
I’ve got another system with Topping E70V and PA7+. It sounds very nice. Deadly quiet, everything works. SQ wise I can’t choose between the 2. J2 loses out on pops and weak feature set. But it is much cheaper and I don’t get pops if I don’t power it off.

I frankly don’t think it’s easy to beat Chifi these days on value proposition.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

i downloaded manual to have a look see and yes, the way this thing works would infuriate me

BUT... I suspect consumers are smart and I expect them to use their eyes and read the manual and see if it suits them.... to me this thing is way worse functionally that my $99 SMSL C100 however I can see in certain use cases it would be sufficient...

since it has no remote you are kind of forced to use this as a single digital source... ie. you have a Schitt Urd or Cayin Mk2 transport and that's all you're going to use. You set the blinking red leds to your source and leave it.

I expect this sounds as good as any sub $300 type dac.

if all you want is a simple single source dac w/ no remote then just get an SMSL SU-1 and save your dollars? i think it even measures better than this.

Swtoby

Out of curiosity, which chip did you choose, the AKM or the ESS?

T&T

Thanks
Is the J2...4 times better than SU 1

Bds3151

Has anyone else measured the S/N ratio on this DAC? I'm getting 85 and a Soundblaster x3 reads 105 (max for the input on the ADC for the Soundblaster)

MacCali

Major Contributor
Has anyone else measured the S/N ratio on this DAC? I'm getting 85 and a Soundblaster x3 reads 105 (max for the input on the ADC for the Soundblaster)
How are you measuring it or are you just asking? Honestly doesn’t get any different than what the AP measured and free of errors since Amir measures so many products and is typically checked by others if an error is caught.

Bds3151

How are you measuring it or are you just asking? Honestly doesn’t get any different than what the AP measured and free of errors since Amir measures so many products and is typically checked by others if an error is caught.
Yeah I'm convinced it's my test setup after discussing with Geno. I was surprised that substituting better RCA cables made a 20 db difference in S/N! I'm going to order some coaxial rca cables and that should be even better. I'm using Right mark audio analyzer software to a soundblaster x3 line in. The x3 is limited to 104db noise floor but I started at 59db and with cable substitution I have reached 79-85db. I'm hoping to get close to the 104db limit with coaxial RCA's.. Loopback with a cheap 1ft mini 1/8in stereo cord on the x3 results in 95-105db

Bds3151

I've had some more puzzling results testing various DAC's with the Right Mark software. Given the above setup, I have consistent loopback results from the X3 in the 102-105db area - so that's about the max I should see. Below are the results from various DAC's, which were all high performers, given Amirm's testing on much better equipment.

o Topping D10, SMSL m500, and the JNOG2 - 82 to 86 DB s/n.
o Denafrips Ares 2 (with firmware update running NOS) - 97 to 100 DB s/n.

A lowly R2R DAC killed the others? Not according to Amrim's results. To be fair, I don't think he tested the Ares with the firmware update in NOS.

Last edited:

dan3952

Thanks
Yes it pops all the time. Though I probably shouldn't expect anything except bare bones circuitry at the $560 price point.

Mine is currently bricked

dan3952

Yes it pops all the time. Though I probably shouldn't expect anything except bare bones circuitry at the $560 price point.

Mine is currently bricked
It's back on again. I don't know why or for how long

Paianis

I like the the form of this unit but as I only need to clear 16-bit audio, and I don't need USB, there must be means of making a cost-reduced version, perhaps with a cheaper DAC chip. Perhaps I should get into this business.

Top Bottom