• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli JNOG2 Review (Balanced DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 70 31.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 107 48.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 33 14.9%

• Total voters

redeyes

Yes I do, and the JNOG2 modded with sparkos as well.

Last edited:

redstang

index.php
Hey, haven't seen this before. Wasn't trying to be snarky with my lol earlier, but I literally searched a couple times and this never came up or I wouldn't have made my comment. Even so, some shots of assembled units would be better.

This is all just fodder for light discussion; it's just one of those things that always frustrates me with literally any product that's being sold with multiple wood finishes - no actual photos. And this is one really one of their unique selling points - to not show off the actual finished product just seems like a miss to me. They're no doubt busy though, everything's still on back order.

redeyes

Hey, haven't seen this before. Wasn't trying to be snarky with my lol earlier, but I literally searched a couple times and this never came up or I wouldn't have made my comment. Even so, some shots of assembled units would be better.

This is all just fodder for light discussion; it's just one of those things that always frustrates me with literally any product that's being sold with multiple wood finishes - no actual photos. And this is one really one of their unique selling points - to not show off the actual finished product just seems like a miss to me. They're no doubt busy though, everything's still on back order.
See Gishelli is company that is family run and are very responsive to feedback. I will tell Geno to put those on the site pronto. Problem solved.

redstang

See Gishelli is company that is family run and are very responsive to feedback. I will tell Geno to put those on the site pronto. Problem solved.
Yep, and pretty much everyone gushes over what great people they are. The whole package (US made, family company, solid products, unique wood case) is why I'm even interested in their dac & amp. I really have no need for another stack - ha. But the urge to put those on my desk keeps nagging at me :)

redeyes

Just to say it, if the thing didn't perform insanely well, I'd not be talking about it. Nice support or not.

winnor

I purchased J2 ESS9026PRO, later, Geshelli J2 in a short time to provide more chip options, op-amp upgrade options.
Now can still order 9026 pro & 9038 q2m J2 DAC from GESHELLI.COM, I think the difference between these two chips is mainly in the heat,
the sound is basically the same.
Later out of the AMK version and op-amp upgrade version, and GENO said akm 4499 DAC aroused my interest,
but the hands already have 9026 pro version is worth changing to other versions?

My sense of listening, 9026pro J2 sound in the price point of 299 U.S. dollars is very good, but for more than 800 U.S. dollars DAC, not a giant killer.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I purchased J2 ESS9026PRO, later, Geshelli J2 in a short time to provide more chip options, op-amp upgrade options.
Now can still order 9026 pro & 9038 q2m J2 DAC from GESHELLI.COM, I think the difference between these two chips is mainly in the heat,
the sound is basically the same.
Later out of the AMK version and op-amp upgrade version, and GENO said akm 4499 DAC aroused my interest,
but the hands already have 9026 pro version is worth changing to other versions?

My sense of listening, 9026pro J2 sound in the price point of 299 U.S. dollars is very good, but for more than 800 U.S. dollars DAC, not a giant killer.
I would say that they literally all sound the same and there should be no differences at all.
I have listened to plenty of ESS DAC's over the years and had my share of AKM stuff too.... I recently switched from a ES9018K2M based DAC to a ES9068AS and I heard no difference. I also switched to a AK4499EX DAC as my main DAC (was trialing both the ES9068AS & 4499) and I hear no differences and my setup is insanely resolving. There are a few times I thought that the AKM DAC was slightly smoother but I couldn't reproduce it or hear it in blind tests...
I have also listened to various TI DAC's and honestly I couldn't tell the difference with TI or Crystal DAC's either... as long as the DAC meets a certain standard for SINAD / Linearity performance; it becomes audibly transparent.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would say that they literally all sound the same and there should be no differences at all.
I have listened to plenty of ESS DAC's over the years and had my share of AKM stuff too.... I recently switched from a ES9018K2M based DAC to a ES9068AS and I heard no difference. I also switched to a AK4499EX DAC as my main DAC (was trialing both the ES9068AS & 4499) and I hear no differences
..as expected :D ;)

winnor

I have listened to plenty of ESS DAC's over the years and had my share of AKM stuff too.... I recently switched from a ES9018K2M based DAC to a ES9068AS and I heard no difference. I also switched to a AK4499EX DAC as my main DAC (was trialing both the ES9068AS & 4499) and I hear no differences and my setup is insanely resolving. There are a few times I thought that the AKM DAC was slightly smoother but I couldn't reproduce it or hear it in blind tests...
I have also listened to various TI DAC's and honestly I couldn't tell the difference with TI or Crystal DAC's either... as long as the DAC meets a certain standard for SINAD / Linearity performance; it becomes audibly transparent.
Well! Maybe that's why the Geshelli J2 DAC has the same price for different chips.

Last edited:

Cool Runnings

I love listening to music on my system as much as I love using music to listen to my system.

I don't have golden ears but I must say that the J2 sounds fantastic in my office set-up. Tidal streamed through Ifi Zen Stream USB to the J2 then XLR out to SMSL DA-9 (with neutral flat filter settings) then out to Sound Artist LS3/5As reinforced with REL TZeros. I willl occasionally stream FLAC files from my music server through to the J2 as well.

Yes I agree that the J2 could have a screen and be a bit more user friendly with the controls. But once set-up for my use case, I don't have to fuss or worry about the J2 or my set-up anymore and I can just enjoy pretty much all genres of music with this budget set-up. Everything I need is there. The highs are crystal clear and airy, soundstage is good, imaging is pin-point, mids are fantastic, vocals are clear, bass is more than good enough. Musicality, speed, details all there.

I guess my point is that measurements are one thing. Essential to have and to know for sure especially to avoid big issues but it can't be the beginning and end point to choosing what is the right system. It's really important to go beyond measurements and into actual listening and trial and error. It may get frustrating sometimes but once you get it right, immeasurably rewarding.
IMG_5656.jpg

Hattrick

This has been a very helpful thread! I have been torn between the following DACs. The Denafrips Ares II 12th-1, The Gustard R26 or the JNOG2 Socketed J2S with the Sparko Op amps? Not sure if there is really going to be a large Oh Wow experience for any of theses but I could be wrong being I never heard any of these DACS. I lean towards the JNOG2 Socketed with the Sparko Op Amps for a few reasons. One built in USA, with USA support. I have read some reviews with issues with the Gustard products and I don't think I need an on board Streamer. Denafrips doesn't provide a return policy so that doesn't go well with me.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Not sure if there is really going to be a large Oh Wow experience for any of theses
There will be if you expect there to be and if you listen and compare without proper controls in place.

I lean towards the JNOG2 Socketed with the Sparko Op Amps for a few reasons. One built in USA, with USA support.
Definitely a good reason.

Hattrick

There will be if you expect there to be and if you listen and compare without proper controls in place.

Definitely a good reason.

Well what I meant per an Oh wow experience is when comparing these three DACS on my system which I cannot do because I cannot get the Denafrips being no return policy. I probably won't go with the Gustard R26 being I don't need all the features and or the streaming function. So... I guess the NOG2 Socketed with the Sparko Op Amps would be the choice to try.

FYI the reason I am even looking at an external DAC is to see if there would be a "Oh Wow", sonic improvement for two channel digital media reproduction over the internal Cirrus DAC circuit in my Arcam AVR 850. The Arcam has analog direct ins to bypass the internal DAC for comparisons.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well what I meant per an Oh wow experience is when comparing these three DACS on my system which I cannot do because I cannot get the Denafrips being no return policy. I probably won't go with the Gustard R26 being I don't need all the features and or the streaming function. So... I guess the NOG2 Socketed with the Sparko Op Amps would be the choice to try.

FYI the reason I am even looking at an external DAC is to see if there would be a "Oh Wow", sonic improvement for two channel digital media reproduction over the internal Cirrus DAC circuit in my Arcam AVR 850. The Arcam has analog direct ins to bypass the internal DAC for comparisons.
I'm not sure about the performance of your AVR but there may be an oh wow factor if the AVR has a poor DAC. The other thing that might make the biggest change is output voltage because a lot of non-audio products have really poor output voltages that make amps sound all poopy and dead so that's often the biggest wowing Factor when everything sounds more alive just due to better voltages.

Hattrick

I'm not sure about the performance of your AVR but there may be an oh wow factor if the AVR has a poor DAC. The other thing that might make the biggest change is output voltage because a lot of non-audio products have really poor output voltages that make amps sound all poopy and dead so that's often the biggest wowing Factor when everything sounds more alive just due to better voltages.
Well the Arcam actually sounds great. I improved streaming to the Arcam using a WiiM Pro vs trying to stream from Fire TV or Roku. The sound difference is an "Oh Wow" experience. The WiiM Pro is now connected to an AVR input via SPDIF and it does sound very good. Just not sure if if an external DAC can make it even better being both the WiiM Pro and taking the Oppo 203 SPDIF out to an external DAC. That is why return policies are important to me. At least with the Geshelli DAC is very affordable I can find a home for it elsewhere should I find it really isn't any better that Cirrus internal DAC circuit of the AVR 850.

Hattrick

On another note. It would be cool if 'Amirm did a new review of the updated review of the JNOG2 Socketed with the op amps.

Top Bottom