• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 113 35.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 59.7%

• Total voters

F1308

Major Contributor
and as such, should fine more buyers.
What a nice way to say you consider them expensive !!!!

Human minds behave exactly like that.

And you are such a sincere nice guy !!!!

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here is a shot of them at a show with Genelec Rep:

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F1%2F20190206011243_Genelec-ISE2019-P2051493Web.jpg
That is one big-ass bookshelf speaker.

Cars-N-Cans

Here is a shot of them at a show with Genelec Rep:

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F1%2F20190206011243_Genelec-ISE2019-P2051493Web.jpg
Maybe it’s the organic design, but Genelec speakers always look so diminutive until you see one next to a person for scale. That’s a chonky speaker!

And the cabbage patch dolls on your rocking chair, those bring back memories. Growing up my parents got some of them for us when they came out. I remember them being quite trendy and hard to find at the time :) Also remember thinking it was weird looking but I did not have the heart to say no to one.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I assume most of us would figure it out, but nowhere in the review it says it's an active speaker and no visual clue neither. And no indicators of any control parameters (EQ?) I would think it's an important thing to know.- I also assume 3995$ is for a single speaker but not fully clear for the regular folks neither. Great review, just some feedbacks to maybe make it more universal and not address only the community.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
I assume most of us would figure it out, but nowhere in the review it says it's an active speaker and no visual clue neither. And know indicators of any control parameters (EQ?) I would think it's an important thing to know.- I also assume 3995$ is for a single speaker but not fully clear for the regular folks neither. Great review, just some feedbacks to maybe make it more universal and not address only the community.
Yes, I'm too lazy to google most of the time as well ;)
Same goes for the DACs pictured without their remote.
I think Amir is just trying to keep the writing as short as possible per review, considering the pile of stuff waiting to be tested.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And the cabbage patch dolls on your rocking chair, those bring back memories. Growing up my parents got some of them for us when they came out. I remember them being quite trendy and hard to find at the time :) Also remember thinking it was weird looking but I did not have the heart to say no to one.
My wife made those years ago. The little rocking chair is much, much older still.

pierre

Forum Donor
I took a shoot at an EQ too (I am not sure it needs one).
It gives similar results, I only optimised the LW in this case.

Code:
              w/EQ
Score    6.3   6.7
w/sub    7.9   8.3

and EQ (Q<=3)
Code:
EQ for Genelec S360 computed from ASR data
Preference Score 6.3 with EQ 6.7
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.16
Dated: 2022-08-02-08:33:41

Preamp: -1.8 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc  1717 Hz Gain +1.39 dB Q 1.92
Filter  2: ON PK Fc    59 Hz Gain -1.30 dB Q 0.71
Filter  3: ON PK Fc 10702 Hz Gain +1.13 dB Q 0.60
Filter  4: ON PK Fc   330 Hz Gain -1.03 dB Q 2.03
Filter  5: ON PK Fc  6790 Hz Gain -0.75 dB Q 2.99
Filter  6: ON PK Fc   869 Hz Gain -0.73 dB Q 2.99
Filter  7: ON PK Fc   155 Hz Gain +0.53 dB Q 2.83
Filter  8: ON PK Fc  1338 Hz Gain +0.55 dB Q 3.00
Filter  9: ON PK Fc  8334 Hz Gain +0.50 dB Q 2.90

The first 4 PK are useful, the next 5 are mostly correcting for very small errors and may vary from speaker to speaker.

filters_eq.png

Funnily, the sound signature is very close to the Kali LP8 V2
newplot.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe it’s the organic design, but Genelec speakers always look so diminutive until you see one next to a person for scale. That’s a chonky speaker!
The weight is the real surprise. In this color especially, you think it weighs 20 pounds then you go to lift and it doesn't even want to move! At nearly 70 pounds, it is a back breaker.

respice finem

Major Contributor
The weight is the real surprise. In this color especially, you think it weighs 20 pounds then you go to lift and it doesn't even want to move! At nearly 70 pounds, it is a back breaker.
A 10" woofer is a 10" woofer, and then a thick sturdy cabinet... and the amps / radiator backplate...
Here's a German review showing the woofer (automatic translation to English)

a clip from Genelec

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I assume most of us would figure it out, but nowhere in the review it says it's an active speaker and no visual clue neither. And no indicators of any control parameters (EQ?) I would think it's an important thing to know.- I also assume 3995$ is for a single speaker but not fully clear for the regular folks neither. Great review, just some feedbacks to maybe make it more universal and not address only the community.
I added a line to the review to reflect such.

martijn86

Impressive but a bit pricey.
Maybe someone will part ways with their coaxial Genelecs when they see this. That can be a fantastic deal although you don't get the interior friendly look.

Cars-N-Cans

My wife made those years ago. The little rocking chair is much, much older still.
The one in the red dress looks just like one, albeit being handmade makes it more personalized. :) Since I was a fan of Transformers and Star Wars the cabbage patch doll didn’t see much use. I’d be willing to bet it’s still in their basement along with my grandparents probably equally ancient rocking chair from the family farm. One of these days I probably will refinish it since good furniture like that is hard to come by!

I’d assume it’s die cast aluminum as their other monitors? Weight aside I do like the more traditional look of a conventional loudspeaker that it has.

Newman

Major Contributor
@amirm do you see anything in your review that would suggest there are any consequences of moving away from the curve-egg-alinear traditional cabinet to the relatively square S360?

PeteL

Major Contributor
@amirm do you see anything in your review that would suggest there are any consequences of moving away from the curve-egg-alinear traditional cabinet to the relatively square S360?
Interesting is which one you call "traditional".

Newman

Major Contributor
Traditional-to-Genelec ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good question. I do not. The sides are rounded. Only the top is not.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
That is one big-ass bookshelf speaker.
I think my bookshelf might break if I put this on it.

And with regards to the performance, I think this is pretty much the best you can get if you don't got coaxial.

Top Bottom