• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Teardown (2nd Disassembled)

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you for sharing IIkka. My jaw still drops every day when I listen to my 8351B's from the clarity, pinpoint focus, and layers of sound the 8351B's are capable of.

Although I am using them at home, When I listen to all kinds of records, it is as if I am sitting in the control room. It isn't speakers I am listening to, but transparent windows holographically re-producing the recording scene.

Do you have yours set on stands or sat on a surface? I'm led to believe they are difficult to place on stands due to their uneven bottom.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have yours set on stands or sat on a surface? I'm led to believe they are difficult to place on stands due to their uneven bottom.

You need room for the isopods if you're using a regular stand, yeah, but there's plenty of stands that would allow bolting them on(which is safer and more stable if you ask me). They have a 3/8"(microphone) screw in the bottom and also M6 screw holes on the back. See various 8351Bs here. And explanation of products involved.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, in fairness to ferrite, it doesn't particularly care if it gets hot, which makes it a generally better choice for woofers.

Not sure what the internal temps of woofers are but JBL is (or used to be) a science focused company and they use neo magnets on some of their high end, high output woofer drivers. If overheating the magnet is the reason for using ferrite... I'd question the engineering skills of the designers.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The Isopod rubber "foot" is intented to be on a flat surface. They will work on any stand that can support them and has a large enough surface for the Isopod. There are also stand plates that you can get which have four cylindrical extrusions to go into the four rounded sections of the Isopod for really good grip and stability. I'm currently using them with the large Genelec 8260 and K&M stands.

Sparky

Forum Donor

Sparky

Forum Donor
The Isopod rubber "foot" is intented to be on a flat surface. They will work on any stand that can support them and has a large enough surface for the Isopod. There are also stand plates that you can get which have four cylindrical extrusions to go into the four rounded sections of the Isopod for really good grip and stability. I'm currently using them with the large Genelec 8260 and K&M stands.

Thanks! I suppose if you wanted them on "proper" stands like standard bookshelf speakers, that's possible too?

Forgive my questions but this type of speaker is new to me.

mkawa

Forum Donor
i would just put the isopods on the flat stand and be done with it. either that or use the 3/8" standard mic thread on the bottom of the housing. the 51s are really big and heavy and might be worth getting the rear plate adapter or something heavier duty, but the size of the isopod scales up with the size of the monitor, so it's generally stable and large enough for the application on ye olde flat surface.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I suppose if you wanted them on "proper" stands like standard bookshelf speakers, that's possible too?

Forgive my questions but this type of speaker is new to me.

Yes, any speaker stand with a flat top will work with them just like a normal speaker. Just make sure the stand is sturdy enough to support them.

Sebastiaan de Vries

They should never be placed directly on their bottom (It isn't possible either, they will roll over :)). They are either with their included isopods or with the unique Genelec stands, which can be mounted to the back. This is how I have set them up. The center speaker stands on its isopod stand, the sides mounted with Genelec wall mounts, and the fronts on the Genelec stands.

Attachments

• IMG_2818-2.jpg
    IMG_2818-2.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_2822-2.jpg
    IMG_2822-2.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_2821.jpg
    IMG_2821.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Did you design my 7060B? Nice sub, it compliments my K&H O300d (sorry) very well.

PS: just saw your pic in the 40th anniversary book I got on Highend 2019 in Munich in the Genelec booth.
No, 7060B was already designed before I joined Genelec in 2008.

@Ilkka Rissanen is the 7060 permanently discontinued with only the SAM version available from here on?
Correct, 7360A is the only version available in that size category. Smaller 7040A and 7050C are our only analogue subwoofers in pro segment.

Sparky

Forum Donor
They should never be placed directly on their bottom (It isn't possible either, they will roll over :)). They are either with their included isopods or with the unique Genelec stands, which can be mounted to the back. This is how I have set them up. The center speaker stands on its isopod stand, the sides mounted with Genelec wall mounts, and the fronts on the Genelec stands.

Absolutely love your set up! Looks amazing from every angle. :)

Those white stands are really nice, they look like they belong there. Nothing worse than seeing a beautiful pair of speakers on a crappy stand.
Really impressed!

Can you explain your arrangement at all? How are connecting it all up and how does volume control work because I've read that you need a particular Genelec device to control volume etc.

Your screen looks like an OPPO screen but I don't recognise your pre-amp/avr.

Sorry for all the questions!

Sebastiaan de Vries

Absolutely love your set up! Looks amazing from every angle. :)

Those white stands are really nice, they look like they belong there. Nothing worse than seeing a beautiful pair of speakers on a crappy stand.
Really impressed!

Can you explain your arrangement at all? How are connecting it all up and how does volume control work because I've read that you need a particular Genelec device to control volume etc.

Your screen looks like an OPPO screen but I don't recognise your pre-amp/avr.

Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled to have Genelec + Trinnov at home. They make life just more fun!

My speaker-monitor placement isn't ideal though. I am grateful I am not roasted for it (yet) at ASR :D.

The center channel is located too low, and placement inside a cabinet isn't desirable. (floor-bounce, reflections, phase shifts, etc.). It is measurable the worst among all five channels prior to the Trinnov Optimizer correction. Trinnov did correct very well by linearizing the Phase response, Impulse response, and Frequency response.

The result is a sonically coloration-free and clear center channel. Thanks to the coaxial driver and the controlled directivity, dialogue appear to come from the center of the screen. The isopod's flexibility to angle the monitor up by 15 degrees is a welcome feature.

The surround channels are placed too high in space and should be lower, closer to ear height. (even though not having Atmos, in my simple 5.1 setup, current placement does give a lovely ambient feeling).

It is still a living room. Therefore there are some practical limitations of how far I can go.
The Trinnov is very advanced though compensating for those compromises. (again) The controlled directivity of the 8351B's helps! Without this level of advanced DSP correction and excellent monitor design, it would be a disaster in this concrete "box" where I live in, and never reaches the level of fidelity it currently does.

I try my best to answer all your questions ones by one:

Stands:
The Front L/R stands are the Genelec K&M designs. I loved them from first sight. I like the aesthetical aspect of having the monitors visually floating, by the back panel mounting. Unfortunately, they are officially only available in black, but the distributor in China ordered them customized in white from K&M. https://www.genelec.com/accessories/8000-400-genelec-design-stand

Equipment:
Connections:
All Genelecs are fed digitally by a DB25 AES/EBU breakout cable from the Trinnov. This is one of the fortunate aspects of the very flexible Trinnov that it has the option for 16 channels digital AES/EBU outputs. Not many processors offer this possibility which is a pity.

Although the 8351B's are sonically transparent with any connection, I did observe an increase in transparency and detail reproduction when fed digitally as opposed to analog. This makes sense because one omits a chain of DAC's and ADC with associated analog pre-amplifier stages. Less = more! I highly recommend for anyone who has the possibility, feed your Genelecs digitally.

Volume Control:
In my particular case, the Trinnov is the control center for the whole system. This includes volume control. The Trinnov utilizes 64 bits floating-point signal processing, which reduces potential loss of resolution.

There are multiple scenarios of volume control for the ONE's series:
The SAM series are very flexible in how to connect and control. The GLM software is straightforward and, even for non-experts, easy to grasp with a second to non-learning curve.

I hope I answered all your questions, if not you know where to find me.. :D

Ps, see attached the connection diagram plans I made before I soldered all the wiring. Perhaps it is helpful.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 4.21.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 4.21.16 PM.png
    491.3 KB · Views: 280
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 4.21.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 4.21.24 PM.png
    671.6 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Sparky

Forum Donor
Thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled to have Genelec + Trinnov at home. They make life just more fun!

My speaker-monitor placement isn't ideal though. I am grateful I am not roasted for it (yet) at ASR :D.

The center channel is located too low, and placement inside a cabinet isn't desirable. (floor-bounce, reflections, phase shifts, etc.). It is measurable the worst among all five channels prior to the Trinnov Optimizer correction. Trinnov did correct very well by linearizing the Phase response, Impulse response, and Frequency response.

The result is a sonically coloration-free and clear center channel. Thanks to the coaxial driver and the controlled directivity, dialogue appear to come from the center of the screen. The isopod's flexibility to angle the monitor up by 15 degrees is a welcome feature.

The surround channels are placed too high in space and should be lower, closer to ear height. (even though not having Atmos, in my simple 5.1 setup, current placement does give a lovely ambient feeling).

It is still a living room. Therefore there are some practical limitations of how far I can go.
The Trinnov is very advanced though compensating for those compromises. (again) The controlled directivity of the 8351B's helps! Without this level of advanced DSP correction and excellent monitor design, it would be a disaster in this concrete "box" where I live in, and never reaches the level of fidelity it currently does.

I try my best to answer all your questions ones by one:

Stands:
The Front L/R stands are the Genelec K&M designs. I loved them from first sight. I like the aesthetical aspect of having the monitors visually floating, by the back panel mounting. Unfortunately, they are officially only available in black, but the distributor in China ordered them customized in white from K&M. https://www.genelec.com/accessories/8000-400-genelec-design-stand

Equipment:
Connections:
All Genelecs are fed digitally by a DB25 AES/EBU breakout cable from the Trinnov. This is one of the fortunate aspects of the very flexible Trinnov that it has the option for 16 channels digital AES/EBU outputs. Not many processors offer this possibility which is a pity.

Although the 8351B's are sonically transparent with any connection, I did observe an increase in transparency and detail reproduction when fed digitally as opposed to analog. This makes sense because one omits a chain of DAC's and ADC with associated analog pre-amplifier stages. Less = more! I highly recommend for anyone who has the possibility, feed your Genelecs digitally.

Volume Control:
In my particular case, the Trinnov is the control center for the whole system. This includes volume control. The Trinnov utilizes 64 bits floating-point signal processing, which reduces potential loss of resolution.

There are multiple scenarios of volume control for the ONE's series:
The SAM series are very flexible in how to connect and control. The GLM software is straightforward and, even for non-experts, easy to grasp with a second to non-learning curve.

I hope I answered all your questions, if not you know where to find me.. :D

Ps, see attached the connection diagram plans I made before I soldered all the wiring. Perhaps it is helpful.

Hi Sebastiaan.

Sorry for the very late reply! I work as an electrician and I'm extremely busy at the moment! :(

Thank you for the very detailed reply! I've been reading through it and I'm a little jealous of your equipment. :)

My set up is in a typical English lounge and I'm limited in placement just like you. I currently use Spendor A7 speakers with March Audio P451 Monoblocks.
I use an Anthem STR Pre-Amp as volume control and source selection (This pre-amp has AES/EBU).
For music, I use an Innuos Mini Mk3 with a Linear PSU as a ROON core with TIDAL HIFI as a streaming service.
I use an OPPO UDP 203 for my movies which is hooked up to a Nvidia Shield running a PLEX server. The OPPO downmixes the multichannel from the movies to 2.1.
I use two subwoofers which are placed quite well and I get linear bass from 14hz to the crossover at 80hz.

The Anthem STR has room correction built in but would this work alongside the GLM?

I love your Trinnov! I bet that cost a fortune!! :)

Are the Genelecs ok near to sidewalls?

Sparky

Forum Donor
Concurring, I would try to rotate them to get less early reflections, personally.

So have them facing upright instead of on their side?

How are they at 2.5-3 metres listening distance?

Sparky

Forum Donor
Well, longest side horizontal.

Yeah, stands to reason really where the vents would be pointing up/down as opposed to firing directly into the wall.

How about listening distance? I can't imagine 2.5 to 3 metres away being an issue...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
From my admittedly fairly brief comparison ( see 3581/8c/hedd comparison thread) I think they work best nearfield, we were listening at 2.5 metres and their image was very much between the speakers not am immersive sound.
I am picking them up next week and will set them up here for a comparison in more familiar surroundings.

Keith

Sparky

Forum Donor
From my admittedly fairly brief comparison ( see 3581/8c/hedd comparison thread) I think they work best nearfield, we were listening at 2.5 metres and their image was very much between the speakers not am immersive sound.
I am picking them up next week and will set them up here for a comparison in more familiar surroundings.

Keith
Perfect. Thanks Keith.

Top Bottom