• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8340 or 8341 near a sidewall?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You mean first sidewall reflection? It can expand the soundstage at the cost of a little image clarity. But if speaker is near side wall there is only negatives.

So, in that case, any speaker I place there will cause issues.
So the question is, due to the driver arrangement difference between the 8340 (standard) & 8341(coaxial), which of the two would work best in that scenario?
Or does it not work that way?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Not sure what your deal pricing is, but there is an 8240+7270 set on Ebay for $3,200 in Texas if a deal is what you are looking for.

If you already have subs though, not as worth it.
I'm in the UK bud.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in the UK bud.

No wonder you're finding deals on Genelec monitors! I'm jealous of prices I see at European distributors like Thomann, even when it's not a sale price!

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
No wonder you're finding deals on Genelec monitors! I'm jealous of prices I see at European distributors like Thomann, even when it's not a sale price!

Yeah, just a quick email exchange can sometimes work wonders. I just have to decide whether to go for it as, has been suggested, due to placement, I might end up regretting it.

It's still a lot of money....

mkawa

Forum Donor
if you have something else you can do with the money, get the 8340s. if you don't, get the 8341s. the ones sounded better to me in sighted listening tests on a level matched switch. use a sub to deal with the SBIR

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow! I like that, as I'm in Texas. How does the 8240 compare to the 8260?

The 8240 doesn't go as deep, and is a non-coaxial. (I don't own the 8240 but have auditioned them in Utah when they got rid of old ones in a college studio.) If you're not moving in the vertical plane and don't have too much floor bounce or ceiling reflection, they should sound nearly identical like the rest of the 8000 series. I do yoga in my living room though, mario kart on the ground, and other games sitting on the futon, and can't stand speakers sounding broken when I change vertically.

Maybe get them as surrounds for your 8351b speakers and the sub can help the low end on The Ones if you don't already have a sub? I've tried The Swarm, and a pair of 15" PSA subs and level matching and auto EQ with REQ... Returned both of those sets because they don't sound the same as my speakers. GLM and a Genelec sub made a massive difference... I've had a 7271 for a few weeks now, and just this week a roommate asked me when I was going to turn it on and hook it up. (And ethernet snake is hiding the wiring job under the trim.)

He didn't realize it had been on the whole time, as it's perfectly integrated. Played him a few songs with actual deep bass and toggled the bass management on and off to show him the difference because the bass just sound like it's coming from everywhere in the room/the air/the speakers are just playing very low.

I wish I could afford the shipping and total expense right now... this would be excellent nearfield for my home work desk. (Currently using HiVi 3.1 speakers there... Hate the amp I have with channel imbalance and a scratchy sound adjusting volume, and wish they were active.)

Senior NEET Engineer

So, in that case, any speaker I place there will cause issues.
So the question is, due to the driver arrangement difference between the 8340 (standard) & 8341(coaxial), which of the two would work best in that scenario?
Or does it not work that way?

Narrower dispersion will reduce the level of the side wall reflection.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Narrower dispersion will reduce the level of the side wall reflection.
Very true but that limits me to a horn design does it not? I have to think about the WAF and a speaker like that would not do me any favours. :D

Sprint

Forum Donor
@Sparky: I was in a similar situation like yours. My choices were:

Option 1: Ambeo Soundbar for movies + Genelec 8350 or Adam S3V for music.
Option 2: Genelec 8340 or 8341 as LCR on my lowboard and 8330 as surrounds. In the future have an additional pair of XTZ Divine Delta or Genelec 8351 on top of subs for additional music.
Option 3: JBL 708p as LR, 705p as center and JBL Control HST-WH for surrounds
Option 4: 3 * Neumann KH310 as LCR and KH120 as surrounds

Finally I went with Option 2 with 8340 as LCR. I am super happy with this set up and I do not think I would even need an additional speaker for music with XTZ. These 8340 are doing a great job for both movies and music (both 2 ch and multi channel).
I am running these Genelecs with a pair of SVS 12 inch subs model SB 12-nsd. I use a miniDSP 2x4HD DDRC24 to apply Dirac room corrections only for subs. Genelecs are room corrected via GLM 4.0.

For movies, bass management is via my AVR and I send only more than 80 HZ to Geneelcs and less than 80 HZ is sent to SVS.

For 2ch music, I use a raspberry PI4 with picoreplayer sending audio via usb to Topping D10s. From Topping D10s, I am feeding digital signal via SPIDF AES cable to Genelec front LR and toslink to Subs. Also working great. In this set Genelec front LR is getting full range. I have recently purchased a miniDSP nanoDIGI 2x8 to introduce a high pass filter to Genelecs to receive only signal > 80HZ. I have not set this up. Volume control is via GLM wireless controller. I mainly use Qobuz on my IPAD via iPENG that recognises picoreplayer.

I tried Ambeo soundbar but the surrounds and atmos was weak.

Option 3 and 4 was not available in white and was not suiting my living room decor. In addition, I always loved sound from Genelec whenever I did AB testing with other studio monitors.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
@Sparky: I was in a similar situation like yours. My choices were:

Option 1: Ambeo Soundbar for movies + Genelec 8350 or Adam S3V for music.
Option 2: Genelec 8340 or 8341 as LCR on my lowboard and 8330 as surrounds. In the future have an additional pair of XTZ Divine Delta or Genelec 8351 on top of subs for additional music.
Option 3: JBL 708p as LR, 705p as center and JBL Control HST-WH for surrounds
Option 4: 3 * Neumann KH310 as LCR and KH120 as surrounds

Finally I went with Option 2 with 8340 as LCR. I am super happy with this set up and I do not think I would even need an additional speaker for music with XTZ. These 8340 are doing a great job for both movies and music (both 2 ch and multi channel).
I am running these Genelecs with a pair of SVS 12 inch subs model SB 12-nsd. I use a miniDSP 2x4HD DDRC24 to apply Dirac room corrections only for subs. Genelecs are room corrected via GLM 4.0.

For movies, bass management is via my AVR and I send only more than 80 HZ to Geneelcs and less than 80 HZ is sent to SVS.

For 2ch music, I use a raspberry PI4 with picoreplayer sending audio via usb to Topping D10s. From Topping D10s, I am feeding digital signal via SPIDF AES cable to Genelec front LR and toslink to Subs. Also working great. In this set Genelec front LR is getting full range. I have recently purchased a miniDSP nanoDIGI 2x8 to introduce a high pass filter to Genelecs to receive only signal > 80HZ. I have not set this up. Volume control is via GLM wireless controller. I mainly use Qobuz on my IPAD via iPENG that recognises picoreplayer.

I tried Ambeo soundbar but the surrounds and atmos was weak.

Option 3 and 4 was not available in white and was not suiting my living room decor. In addition, I always loved sound from Genelec whenever I did AB testing with other studio monitors.

Good morning Sprint.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your set up! :)

I have gone ahead and purchased the 8341B's in white for home theatre and music duties and I'm really excited to set them up!

My scenario is quite complicated at home and without my harmony remote, it would be a disaster to try to make it all work!

I'll explain:

Video:

HDMI - NOW TV box > HD Fury DIVA
HDMI - NVIDIA Shield (PLEX Media server)> HD Fury DIVA
HDMI - PS4 > HD Fury DIVA
HDMI - FREESAT (Satellite TV) > HD Fury DIVA
HDMI - HD Fury DIVA > OPPO UDP 203
HDMI - OPPO UDP 203 > LG OLED 1080p curved TV

Audio:

OPPO analogue out L & R > Anthem STR
OPPO analogue out Sub > Anthem STR
Anthem STR L & R XLR out > Purifi Class D monoblocks > Speakers L & R
Anthem STR Sub out > MiniDSP 2x4HD (For the subwoofers)
Innuos Zen Mini (Roon Core) Asynchronus USB > Athem STR

I want to do away with as much of the above as possible really.

I have bought a MiniDSP SHD to replace the Anthem as it measured really well on here and, if I'm honest, I don't really rate the Anthem STR.
I feel it is extremely overpriced.

I have never owned "active speakers" before and I'm unsure how best to connect it all up.

I want to keep everything in the digital domain and am going to do away with the analogue output of the OPPO and use an Optical cable instead.
I will still need to use the subwoofer output though won't I?

I think it was @Sebastiaan de Vries who mentioned using an AES/EBU converter via optical to feed my 8341's then obviously I'll need a length of AES cable to link both speakers together.

As you can see, I'm a little confused about it all. :(

Sebastiaan de Vries

Good morning Sprint.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your set up! :)

I have gone ahead and purchased the 8341B's in white for home theatre and music duties and I'm really excited to set them up!

My scenario is quite complicated at home and without my harmony remote, it would be a disaster to try to make it all work!

I'll explain:

Video:

HDMI - NOW TV box > HD Fury DIVA
HDMI - NVIDIA Shield (PLEX Media server)> HD Fury DIVA
HDMI - PS4 > HD Fury DIVA
HDMI - FREESAT (Satellite TV) > HD Fury DIVA
HDMI - HD Fury DIVA > OPPO UDP 203
HDMI - OPPO UDP 203 > LG OLED 1080p curved TV

Audio:

OPPO analogue out L & R > Anthem STR
OPPO analogue out Sub > Anthem STR
Anthem STR L & R XLR out > Purifi Class D monoblocks > Speakers L & R
Anthem STR Sub out > MiniDSP 2x4HD (For the subwoofers)
Innuos Zen Mini (Roon Core) Asynchronus USB > Athem STR

I want to do away with as much of the above as possible really.

I have bought a MiniDSP SHD to replace the Anthem as it measured really well on here and, if I'm honest, I don't really rate the Anthem STR.
I feel it is extremely overpriced.

I have never owned "active speakers" before and I'm unsure how best to connect it all up.

I want to keep everything in the digital domain and am going to do away with the analogue output of the OPPO and use an Optical cable instead.
I will still need to use the subwoofer output though won't I?

I think it was @Sebastiaan de Vries who mentioned using an AES/EBU converter via optical to feed my 8341's then obviously I'll need a length of AES cable to link both speakers together.

As you can see, I'm a little confused about it all. :(

Congratulations with your new Genelecs! You will not regret your purchase. Kindly send me a PM, and I try my best to help you sort it out offline.

Top Bottom