• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8340 or 8341 near a sidewall?

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all.

I've been offered a great deal on a pair of 8340 or 8341's. I don't suppose one of you guys knows which would be best suited to a "near sidewall" placement?

I know being near a sidewall in the first place isn't ideal but I've got limitations in my lounge for the right hand side speaker unfortunately.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mkawa

Forum Donor
what is the port placement going to be like?

MarsianC#

8340 or 8341
They are nothing alike. The 8341 is obvisously way superior (and way more expensive). 5 cm spacing should be enough to let the port breathe. Boundary conditions shall be handled by GLM.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
what is the port placement going to be like?
Hi.

Probably between 30 to 50 centimetres from the front wall.

Are you thinking SBIR?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
And around 20 centimetres from side wall....

mkawa

Forum Donor
Hi.

Probably between 30 to 50 centimetres from the front wall.

Are you thinking SBIR?
yah. when my 8040s have poor port placement i get 10hz less LFE than when they have better (but not optimal) port placement.

also near field or far field listening?

there's only so much GLM can do with two channels and no subwoofer. it has no boost filters.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Also, yes! Let GLM handle the bass, but it ca NOT fix problems caused by SBIR.

I will be using a pair of 12" sealed subwoofers (non Genelec) to handle bass and will set the crossover to around 100hz depending on the ideal response I will measure with REW.
I'll be using a minidsp SHD which will help also.
My subs are ideally placed and will need minimal EQ to attain a flat response from 14hz up to the crossover which will take a bit of pressure off the speakers.

Is the 8341 really a class above the 8340's?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
yah. when my 8040s have poor port placement i get 10hz less LFE than when they have better (but not optimal) port placement.

also near field or far field listening?

there's only so much GLM can do with two channels and no subwoofer. it has no boost filters.

It'll be far-field. Around 3 metres.

alont

Forum Donor
They both have smooth horizontal directivity, however the 8341 can be placed in horizontal mode, at which point it should offer better low frequency directivity control which could help prevent additional sbir from the side walls.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
They both have smooth horizontal directivity, however the 8341 can be placed in horizontal mode, at which point it should offer better low frequency directivity control which could help prevent additional sbir from the side walls.
Ah yes, they can be placed on their side too. Forgot about that......I'm sure the wife would love that! :D

MarsianC#

It'll be far-field. Around 3 metres.
You may note that max SPL is limited even with a 100 Hz xover. See S&R's maxSPL measurment of the 8351A. I reckon the smaller but newer/better drivers are not able to play much louder before giving up THD wise (or limiter kicking in).
I'll be using a minidsp SHD which will help also.
So no need for GLM.
Subs crossed @100 Hz won't help with SBIR.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
You may note that max SPL is limited even with a 100 Hz xover. See S&R's maxSPL measurment of the 8351A. I reckon the smaller but newer/better drivers are not able to play much louder before giving up THD wise (or limiter kicking in).

So no need for GLM.
Subs crossed @100 Hz won't help with SBIR.

I remember having a read of the max SPL of these speakers and I'm certain I'll get away with it.
I don't listen at really loud volumes anyway (around 80-85db max).

I bought the SHD really as volume control, input selector and subwoofer alignment.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
8341 in Horizontal orientation would probably be best near a sidewall, since it keeps the sound shooting forward down to ~250Hz.

I haven't made my mind up about the purchase yet but I feel I won't go far wrong with the 8341's.

Yes, they'll cost me more but the step up in driver technology and watts per amplifier will win the battle between the 8340 & 8341.

Senior NEET Engineer

I don't think it's worth the price difference, especially for a room like that. Maybe a narrow dispersion speaker can help.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I don't think it's worth the price difference, especially for a room like that. Maybe a narrow dispersion speaker can help.

You're probably right to be fair. It IS a £2000 price difference....something to consider.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but, after watching Erin's recent videos on YouTube regarding dispersion, I thought that certain speakers actually benefit from room reflections?

soundwave76

Forum Donor
8341 for nearfield, 8340 is good enough for longer distances imo. GLM will handle the walls pretty well.

Senior NEET Engineer

You're probably right to be fair. It IS a £2000 price difference....something to consider.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but, after watching Erin's recent videos on YouTube regarding dispersion, I thought that certain speakers actually benefit from room reflections?

You mean first sidewall reflection? It can expand the soundstage at the cost of a little image clarity. But if speaker is near side wall there is only negatives.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what your deal pricing is, but there is an 8240+7270 set on Ebay for $3,200 in Texas if a deal is what you are looking for.

If you already have subs though, not as worth it.

Top Bottom