• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the answers. Does the hiss get lower if the sensitivity is turned to the lowest setting?

galanakop

TL;DR: Here is a picture comparing the size of an 8030C and 8020D on a 30" desk. I am posting this in case anyone else is concerned about the physical dimensions of the two models. I found it hard to find images of the monitors on desks when I was doing research.

Two weeks ago I ordered a pair of 8020D with the matching Genelec (K&M) stands. I was intrigued by the 8010A but wanted something a bit larger with deeper bass extension. I had considered the 8030Cs but was afraid they would be too large looking on my desk. Over the last seven or so years, I've had pairs of PSB Imagine XB, KEF Q100, Audyssey Lower East Side Media, and Dynaudio BM Compact MKIII on my desk. For the last three years, I've been running a pair of Peachtree Audio DS4.5 with a Parasound Zamp v.3. After recently running into some issues with the Zamp, I decided to try a pair of active monitors.

The reason I'm writing out some of my speaker history is that I've had small and relatively large speakers on my desk. At this point in time, I'm looking to avoid having 12" or 13" tall/deep speakers taking up lots of space on my desk. Also, I don't love the look of large speakers flanking my monitor. In a future desk set up, I could see getting larger monitors and putting them on stands behind a desk.

Anyway, after a day of testing the one 8020D that was shipped to me (the other hadn't shipped), I decided I could handle a slightly larger monitor. I also had some buyer's remorse as the 8030C is supposed to be the most popular model, and the 8020D seemed a bit forgotten between the 8010 and 8030. I canceled the 8020D that hadn't shipped and placed an order for a pair of 8030C–also with the matching/corresponding stands.

As I already had the 8020D on my desk, I figured I'd compare the two sizes. Here's a picture of both on my desk. Because Genelec monitors seem to have relatively shallow physical depth compared to many other active monitors, and have rounded edges, I think the 8030Cs are a great size on a desk. Not too big, not too small.

Once I get my stands in a week or two, and have some time to really test the speakers, I'll post a review of the speakers.

View attachment 117110
Which dac is used to drive the speakers ???

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Sure, but if you use the lowest, -12dB, does the hiss get lower?
The range is +6 to -6dBu. +6 is for hottest input. -6 is the highest (lowest in number). There is no hiss in my samples.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but if you use the lowest, -12dB, does the hiss get lower?
I use +6dBu, because it is already very loud. I don't know if hiss gets worse if set to -6dBu, never tried.

There is no hiss in my samples.
Perhaps your power grid is cleaner than mine. Just plugging one 8030C on any outlet of the flat, I get the same hiss level, even without anything connected to the unit. It doesn't get worse when I plug my DAC (Topping E30).

EDIT: I recently went from RCA-XLR cables to XLR-XLR and hiss decreased fair bit and is now very acceptable.

Last edited:

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
I use +6dBu, because it is already very loud.
I don't know what's the optimal input sensitivity for genelec. I just don't trust its internal attenuators. For desktop usage, I am using a pair of u-pads (-30dB) built from high quality parts along with digital/software volume control(within 10dB).

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
2 m would be further than I can hear the JBL 104s in my office.

The +6 dB setting would mean 94 dB SPL @ 0 dBu. You have to try pretty hard to get input noise much worse than -98 dBu. Input impedance is given as a constant 10 kOhms, so I would rather assume that level trim follows the balanced receiver as is the case in most active monitors. (Neumanns seem to be an exception, with input impedance alternating between 10 and 20 kOhms, so it looks like they're getting 6 dB of attenuation this way.)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ask all this to understand where the hiss is being generated from. With the unit disconnected from XLR input:
- If be reducing sensitivity to the lowest setting reduces hiss, then the gain stage is noisy.
- But if increasing or decreasing sensitivity does not alter hiss, then the gain stage is clean and the power stage is noisy no matter what and nothing we can do about it.

Pawelekdabek

I ask all this to understand where the hiss is being generated from. With the unit disconnected from XLR input:
- If be reducing sensitivity to the lowest setting reduces hiss, then the gain stage is noisy.
- But if increasing or decreasing sensitivity does not alter hiss, then the gain stage is clean and the power stage is noisy no matter what and nothing we can do about it.
Hiss was the same with inputs connected and disconnected. I don't rememeber if input gain affects hiss tough. I was using the lowest because at default speakers were too loud.

adg

Forum Donor
Which dac is used to drive the speakers ???

I am using a Schiit Modius. I use the XLR out with XLR to RCA adapters to a JDS El Amp II which is a preamp for the 8030Cs. I am using the Modius RCA out to send to a Bottlehead Crack headphone amp.

I might replace the Modius and El Amp II with a Motu M4 or Audient iD14mkII in order to simplify the setup and give myself ADC inputs. Ever since using an Emotiva Control Freak volume knob as a passive preamp, I've always sought out components that would allow me to have a big volume control knob. I also always look for DACs with dual output so I can send signal to my speaker system and Bottlehead without having to use a splitter. Not sure it's been worth only looking at DACs with dual output just to avoid using a Y splitter.

notthisperson

IMG_1365 (Large).jpg

For reference, I've got mine on stands behind a 2-meter wide desk, and about 1 meter each from my listening position. I haven't found them too daunting in size, but I do admittedly have a large desk.

All in all, I've been really thrilled with the sound these things can produce, and I've been dumbfounded by just how loud these things get. I have them running through an SMSL SU-8 via a Little Bear, and hardly ever have the dial set past 9 o'clock.

I will say they are sensitive to placement though; since getting them I've added homemade foam pads around my room and run calibration with REW, both of which have made significant sonic upgrades, as at first I was not impressed with them out of the box.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the DAC (to a Topping D90) or throwing in a sub, but given that my room is only 14m² and the SU-8 already has a SINAD of above 100, I'm doubting either of those would actually add any audible benefit

adg

Forum Donor
How are you liking the 8030C so far?

I need some more time before I can provide listening thoughts. I'm not new to the pursuit of nice audio equipment, but I am new to audio science and won't be able to provide objective observations–sorry! I also need some time to play around with the dip switches to see what sounds best to me.

That said, a few initial thoughts:

I read through this entire 8030C thread. It seems like there are reasons the 8030Cs aren't technically perfect (I'm guessing no speaker is), but I don't expect to notice or focus on any of the dips in any of the frequency spectrum. I'm also not doing critical (or any) production work with these, so I'm going to choose to believe these are A+ powered monitors on my desk.

Before buying the Genelecs, I tried the Vanatoo T0s because I wanted a pair of affordable but nice speakers that would be pleasant to listen to. My priority really is to get speakers that are non-fatiguing and that "sound great", and it seems like pursuing speakers with flat, neutral response is one way to do that. With the T0s, I didn't like the shape of the cabinets (or that I needed to get a plate to use the speakers with my Isoacoustics stands), that the speakers already had a DAC that I couldn't bypass, or the cheap looking badges on the grills.

Then I saw Amir's 8010 review and decided I might as well splurge and get something really nice, thought I might as well spend extra to get the 8020, then just rolled into upgrading to the 8030s. Going from a $300 pair of speakers to a $1,400 happened quickly. A few months back, I had been looking at the Neumann KH 80 (based on Amir's review), but at the time, didn't feel I should be buying a pair of $1,000 speakers. Fast forward and the KH 80 and KH 120 were both within the same price range that I was now willing to spend on the 8030s. Both of those speakers are mentioned in this thread, and it seems like there are pros and cons to both. There's also occasional mention of the 83XX series as being a worthwhile upgrade to the 80XX series.

I ultimately decided to stick with the 8030Cs over the Neumanns or spending even more on the 83XX for the following reasons:

1. I like Genelec's warranty and extended warranty.

2. I like how Genelec speakers look.

3. While people rave about the 83XX series, I didn't want to spend even more money than I had already snowballed into spending, and also didn't want to have the extra equipment involved with the calibration system. I have a U-MIK1 that I purchased a while back for use with my NAD 758v3 receiver, and I plan to learn how to use the mic with REW to do some basic calibration of my system.

4. I figure as I learn more about audio science and get settled into my new speaker system, I can always resell these 8030s down the line and upgrade to a newer Neumann or Genelec model that could come out in a year or two. I baby my equipment (whether audio or computer) and usually upgrade sooner rather than later.

With all of that said, for my purposes, I am going to assume using the 8030Cs on my desk for pleasure listening gives me a 99th percentile audio system that can only be critiqued on a dedicated forum such as ASR.

Additional thoughts:

The speakers are very dense and seem like powerhouses to me. I haven't pushed the speakers VERY hard, but after some pretty loud jam sessions with overplayed but classic songs like Keith Don't Go, Little Wing, Free Bird, Stairway to Heaven, Sultans of Swing, and Do You Feel Like We Do, I don't see needing any more SPL for nearfield use, which is all I am doing. I am going to hook up an Audioengine S8 sub I've had lying around to fill out the low end, and might get an SVS SB-1000 PRO. I like the idea of getting the Genelec 7040A subwoofer, but don't love that it's only a 6.5" driver. The specs of the 7040A seem good anyway, I just wonder if it's the right subwoofer path. If my wife and I can find a house to move into this year, maybe I'll get the 7050C and just try to be oblivious to the price. My hope with the 8030Cs was that I wouldn't actually feel the need to get a sub (knowing I'm missing out on some low end), but we'll see if trying out my Audioengine S8 gives me an upgrade itch.

I love that the speakers are made in Finland. I'm a stickler for quality and like supporting companies with good values, and that manufacture goods in places I perceive support good economies. I say this knowing that components and inputs are globally sourced, but my speakers are made in Finland, my HD650s in Germany, my Schiit DAC in California, my JDS EL Amp II in Illinois (where I live and am from), my Bottlehead Crack from Washington (and assembled by me), and my desktop shelf is handmade in Oregon. I paid a premium for all of these products, but they are all high quality, are well-designed, and have good companies behind them. This is not to suggest other companies don't produce great quality products or have great customer service, but with exception of Sennheiser, it feels like most of my equipment comes from smallish companies (I know Genelec isn't tiny, but I'm guessing it is small relative to some of its competitors), and I get satisfaction from that.

Regarding the quality of the 8030s, they feel like tanks. The cabinet exterior is nicer looking in person than you can tell in pictures (IMHO), the tweeter and woofer are protected from damage, and all of the switches and inputs on the back seem high quality. It seems like some people don't like the usability of the dip switches, but I suspect I won't be monkeying around with them a few weeks from now. I assume Genelec uses the dip switches to save space, to have them protected from getting bumped around, and maybe to keep costs down. The built in Iso-Pod is functional and cute, although I'll be taking it off to use with my stands when they come. Overall, it's hard to imagine someone complaining about the build quality of the 80XX speakers. I did see a complaint somewhere that someone thought the green lights were cheap looking. Those don't bother me. I like how with these monitors it feels like you're using a speaker with history and heritage. In the case of the 8030C, it's had some updates over time.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I also like how these speakers aren't very deep at all. To me, it makes them MUCH more manageable and pleasant to have on a regular, non-audio-producer desk. I also like how Genelec actually recommends the speakers be close to, or far away from the wall. As someone who usually seems to have my desk positioned against the wall, it's nice to have a speaker where it's recommended to put it 5cm from the wall.

I decided to go with the standard dark gray producer finish over the white or raw finishes. I think the white is attractive, but was concerned about the finish getting scuffed over time. I also thought the white would be more distracting when used right next to a monitor, especially in a dimly lit room. The white is also more expensive and is often a special order. I think the raw aluminum finish is attractive, but it's also usually a special order, and I question if the resale value will be as good. I also wondered if there was any chance of having light reflections off the raw finish.

I also really like the ISS feature. My old Parasound Zamp v.3 had signal detection, and it didn't require too strong of a signal to turn my amp on. I tried a pair of Focal Alpha 50's two months ago, and one complaint I read was that the on/off signal detection required a high signal source. I found that to be the case and it, and the lack of input sensitivity adjustment, was a dealbreaker for me. With the Genelecs, it doesn't take a loud signal for the speakers to turn on, and I haven't heard any loud pops.

With my JDS El Amp II and the input sensitivity on the 8030Cs set to I believe +6DB, I think 9 or 10 on the El Amp volume control has me at jamming levels. The amount of volume control I have seems granular enough to me. It's also nice because the SPL from the speakers at that volume control level is similar to how loud my HD650s would sound if I had them plugged into the JDS. That means I don't have to think about making sure the volume isn't too loud if I'm alternating between headphones or my speakers. I usually use my Bottlehead for headphone use, but not always.

I'll report back when I have some more listening experience with the monitors. As I mentioned, I'm likely only going to be providing subjective thoughts. As someone who likes to research and cares about technical characteristics (even if I don't fully understand the magnitude of, or whether I'll hear all benefits or limitations), I appreciate all the time everyone puts into this site and this thread. However, for others new to audio science, and experienced people too, I'm hoping some subjective thoughts are welcome as well. Surely buying speakers shouldn't only be about spin data and graphs :)

Last edited:

adg

Forum Donor
Yesterday I paired my five-year-old Audioengine S8 with my 8030Cs and it adds some welcome low end. That said, I have long been meaning to sell the S8 on Craigslist and would like to get something higher end for use with the Genelecs. Can anyone recommend a sub based on the criteria below? A few weeks ago I read through this whole thread, but I'm forgetting if or when sub recommendations were made.

Use: Nearfield at my desk. 90% music, 10% gaming
Budget: $300 to $800
Size: Prefer something on the smaller side as it will be under or next to my desk.

Miscellaneous:
  • Sealed? A sealed sub might be smaller and I don't need crazy deep extension.
  • Anything with a high pass filter so I can free up the 8030Cs to focus on higher frequencies?
  • I don't need or want that much bass, but I still like the idea of a sub with a larger driver in case I want to repurpose the sub in the future.
  • I am open to a "studio" or home theater sub. I am currently using my 8030Cs with XLR to RCA adapters, but that could change if I switch to a Motu or or Audient interface in the future. That might mean it would make more sense to look at subs with XLR in/out.
The Genelec 7040A could be the way to go but it only has a 6.5" woofer. Will that effortlessly produce enough low end compared to the 5" drivers in the 8030Cs? The Genelec is probably a good match to the 8030C because it's the same brand. I don't want to spend the extra money on the 7050C, and that sub also has an overwhelming looking amount of XLR inputs and outputs given that I'm using this in a simple 2.1 setup.

I am considering the new SVS SB-1000 PRO. It is small given it has a 12" driver, is at a nice price point, and has a great warranty. The sub would only have RCA, but I'm fine with that. It also doesn't seem to have a high pass filter, but that might be harder to find.

Thanks for any recommendations!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Yesterday I paired my five-year-old Audioengine S8 with my 8030Cs and it adds some welcome low end. That said, I have long been meaning to sell the S8 on Craigslist and would like to get something higher end for use with the Genelecs. Can anyone recommend a sub based on the criteria below? A few weeks ago I read through this whole thread, but I'm forgetting if or when sub recommendations were made.

Use: Nearfield at my desk. 90% music, 10% gaming
Budget: $300 to $800
Size: Prefer something on the smaller side as it will be under or next to my desk.

Miscellaneous:
  • Sealed? A sealed sub might be smaller and I don't need crazy deep extension.
  • Anything with a high pass filter so I can free up the 8030Cs to focus on higher frequencies?
  • I don't need or want that much bass, but I still like the idea of a sub with a larger driver in case I want to repurpose the sub in the future.
  • I am open to a "studio" or home theater sub. I am currently using my 8030Cs with XLR to RCA adapters, but that could change if I switch to a Motu or or Audient interface in the future. That might mean it would make more sense to look at subs with XLR in/out.
The Genelec 7040A could be the way to go but it only has a 6.5" woofer. Will that effortlessly produce enough low end compared to the 5" drivers in the 8030Cs? The Genelec is probably a good match to the 8030C because it's the same brand. I don't want to spend the extra money on the 7050C, and that sub also has an overwhelming looking amount of XLR inputs and outputs given that I'm using this in a simple 2.1 setup.

I am considering the new SVS SB-1000 PRO. It is small given it has a 12" driver, is at a nice price point, and has a great warranty. The sub would only have RCA, but I'm fine with that. It also doesn't seem to have a high pass filter, but that might be harder to find.

Thanks for any recommendations!
JBL LSR310S or Yamaha HS8S.

txbdan

View attachment 117214

For reference, I've got mine on stands behind a 2-meter wide desk, and about 1 meter each from my listening position. I haven't found them too daunting in size, but I do admittedly have a large desk.

All in all, I've been really thrilled with the sound these things can produce, and I've been dumbfounded by just how loud these things get. I have them running through an SMSL SU-8 via a Little Bear, and hardly ever have the dial set past 9 o'clock.

I will say they are sensitive to placement though; since getting them I've added homemade foam pads around my room and run calibration with REW, both of which have made significant sonic upgrades, as at first I was not impressed with them out of the box.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the DAC (to a Topping D90) or throwing in a sub, but given that my room is only 14m² and the SU-8 already has a SINAD of above 100, I'm doubting either of those would actually add any audible benefit

How wide is this desk? The 8030Cs do look smaller (better) here than I would have imagined. I'm currently debating 8030Cs vs 8020Ds most for size reasons.

Do you feel your monitors are interfering with the sound at all? I'd move the stands forward.

adg

Forum Donor
JBL LSR310S or Yamaha HS8S.

Thanks. It seems like the Yamaha HS8S might be a good pick. It is decently smaller than the JBL and has High Cut control (80-120Hz). I can use my existing RCA to XLR cables from my JDS EL Amp II to send signal to the sub, then use XLR cables from the sub to the 8030Cs.

I think an 8" driver should add a lot of bass compared to the 5" woofers in the 8030s, and plenty for at my desk.

Given that this sub has a port, should I expect that it should have some "boominess" compared to a sealed sub, or is that not really a thing?

Also, if this high cut control is from 80 - 120Hz, does that mean I can tell the sub to only send <120Hz signal to the 8030s, or to send as deep as 80Hz? I know 80Hz is a common crossover for integrating a sub. Is there no reason to want to send around 60Hz to the 8030s?

Top Bottom