• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gaming Headphones Better Than Sundaras

Misguided

Hi.

I have some Sundaras which I use for music, movies and gaming at home.

I keep toying with the idea of buying some other headphones primarily for gaming but when I read into it I end up sticking as there are a huge amount of opinions out there and the Sundaras always seem to come out as one of the better choices.

I just wondered if anyone has tried out other headphones and found them better for gaming, if so why?

I’m not looking to spend much more than £150 and my candidates are the usual suspects, HD560, DT770 80 ohm and AKG 702.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

I have some Sundaras which I use for music, movies and gaming at home.

I keep toying with the idea of buying some other headphones primarily for gaming but when I read into it I end up sticking as there are a huge amount of opinions out there and the Sundaras always seem to come out as one of the better choices.

I just wondered if anyone has tried out other headphones and found them better for gaming, if so why?

I’m not looking to spend much more than £150 and my candidates are the usual suspects, HD560, DT770 80 ohm and AKG 702.
I hear people complain Sundara's are not great for FPS gaming as they are not good at localization.

Anyway, this topic has been discussed extensively. Here are some recent threads:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had them and the soundstage is wide but not deep front to back. I remember enemies had to be right on top of me when facing them before I'd hear them.
The best in that price range would be the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm, See audio Yume II, Final VR300 for IEMs. Also the Sennheiser HD598 and 560 are solid picks. The 80ohm DT770 had too much bass for gaming. I remember explosions drowning things out.

Phishin_Phool

I really enjoy the Audeze Maxwell's for gaming imaging is really good and the mic is more than satisfactory as well

OP
M

Misguided

Hi. I bought some Sennheiser HD560s after Xmas. I haven't actually gamed with them yet but did listen to some tunes and watch some tv and wow, seriously good for the money, very impressed. Thanks for all the advice.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I bought my mates kid the Audeze Maxwell to go with Xbox Series X I got him for Xmas, I’ve not tried them out for gaming as I haven’t gamed since the days of the NES but they are an excellent audio headphone and my mates kid is really impressed with them, way over your budget unfortunately

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought my mates kid the Audeze Maxwell to go with Xbox Series X I got him for Xmas, I’ve not tried them out for gaming as I haven’t gamed since the days of the NES but they are an excellent audio headphone and my mates kid is really impressed with them, way over your budget unfortunately
I think those are a game-changer. All that sound quality, wirelessly, with built-in EQ and great build quality. Not to mention the battery life.

It's expensive as a gaming headset, but when it also handles all your other headphone needs be it music listening or late night movie watching, it's actually seems pretty affordable.

OP
M

Misguided

I have heard they are very very good. I already have my Sundaras for music otherwise I suspect they would be a consideration, maybe next upgrade ;)

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard they are very very good. I already have my Sundaras for music otherwise I suspect they would be a consideration, maybe next upgrade ;)
I don't think they are better than EQ'd Sundara in sound quality alone. Both out of the box, then Maxwell wins, but not a fair comparison.

Use case for Maxwell is that you want one headphone to do everything, without hassle. Then you are good and are not missing much compared to separates. But one already has the hassle done and is ok with that then Maxwell doesn't really bring anything to the table.

Well, the build quality is better than most hifimans, reagardless of price, but that's just hifiman things.

RoA

Beyerdynamic DT900 ProX. I have the 700 ProX but had both here before committing. I also have the Sundara. Imho the 900 ProX betters the Sundara in soundstage and pin point accuracy.

20230222_091014.jpg

20230121_131622.jpg

Ufasas

I had k702, one plastic side snapped, they still useable, eventually i threw them away, lol, but I compared them to HD560s and x2hr / mdr-ma900 for competitive gaming, hd560s and k702 stays on top, but i am keeping hd560s as the main top, if all headphones broke, i would probably rebuy hd560s and k702

Top Bottom