• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fry's is done,hold the ketchup.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
You mean no more Turkish Delights? Oh no!

iu

fun

Used to be a store I visited frequently a decade or two ago. Major purchases were two TVs, a monitor, my first AV receiver, a bunch of SACD/DVD-A, and components to build my PC. Haven't been there for ages though, so I won't really miss them.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to spend Saturdays browsing Fry’s stores around Mountain View and Santa Clara when I was working an internship at Nortel in the mid-90’s. I could spend hours in their stores.

Unfortunately, they cannot compete with the likes of Newegg and Amazon.

It’s the end of an era.

Martin

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They had very few stores in the Midwest, but I bought a number of items from their Downers Grove (Chicago) store and looked around their Indianapolis store a few times. The last time I was in the DG store a couple of years ago, the stock level was probably 70% of typical...and ALL the cellphones were gone.

What also seemed more than a little fishy was that if you clicked on the link on the web listing of any product on their site to get warranty info, it showed the only way to get it was to send snail mail to the California headquarters. Did they sell a lot of gray market stuff?

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Oh no! I go there often to pick up something in person. What a shame....

Once Radio Shack was gone, it was one of the few places in the Chicago metro where you could walk in and buy a specific resistor or capacitor...along with a rice cooker and some candy bars or beef jerky.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ta240

Major Contributor
It is sad to have another source for getting electronics in person go away.

We went in one last fall and it was really empty. Long rows of empty shelves with a few things scattered here or there. I used to be able to kill a lot of time looking around but that was just depressing.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to spend Saturdays browsing Fry’s stores around Mountain View and Santa Clara when I was working an internship at Nortel in the mid-90’s. I could spend hours in their stores.

It’s the end of an era.

Martin

There were no Fry's near me, but was fun to visit whenever on vacation at relatives in SoCal. We had CompuCenter.

Not unlike a lot of hifi shops I frequented years before, will have to adapt since they could not. Have a MicroCenter nearby, but will be surprised if they last the pandemic. Some deals still are in-store only. :rolleyes:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There were no Fry's near me, but was fun to visit whenever on vacation at relatives in SoCal. We had CompuCenter.

Not unlike a lot of hifi shops I frequented years before, will have to adapt since they could not. Have a MicroCenter nearby, but will be surprised if they last the pandemic. Some deals still are in-store only. :rolleyes:

Weird Stuff was even better.

It was like a computer museum of old obsolete tech. You could buy obscure things like a used VAX machine or Banyan Vines networking switches.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
....You could buy obscure things like a used VAX machine or Banyan Vines networking switches.

I worked a consulting gig in 1996-97 at a plant that had all IBM hardware and a brand new LAN....Token Ring.

When I asked the site IT manager why, he said "Ethernet is just an inherently unstable topology and it is unlikely to last."

o_O:rolleyes::p

the_hamster 2

It’s the end of an era.

Martin
Early patrons of Fry’s Palo Alto, rummage round the shop, then over to Gordon Biersch for a Marzen or two...thems were the days, all right.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The consumer electronics part of Fry's I always found too many annoying sales folk in. It was good for computer components, tho (and once in a while some good help, but not nearly as much over in the other area).

Daverz

Major Contributor
I spent a lot of time in the San Diego Frys on Stonecrest (south of Aero Drive) back in 1999 since I had a job nearby. It was geek heaven back then. The protracted years-long death rattle that their management put the stores through was really shameful.

Top Bottom