• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potatoes

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Were home fries or hash browns mentioned yet at all? Hash browns can be air fried while home fries are not deep fried at all.
Just simple ways of making potatoes for breakfast.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wrap potato in tinfoil and bake, or toss into campfire. Remove after 30-45 minutes and enjoy. Add a touch of salt, soy sauce, or Tabasco to taste.
This is a healthy way to eat them, skins and all, high fiber, without the added fats or sugars of many other recipes.
I've found you can get somewhat close to the campfire taste by doing the same thing but putting them on the grill over high heat. Use a thermometer to check when they're done (between 200-210F internal temp)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Many years ago I did a deep dive to find the perfect French Fry recipe. All the recipes called for triple cooked French fries - boil once, then low temperature fry at 120C, allow to cool, then fry again at 180C. Some of the recipes even call for freezing to dehydrate the fry a little after the second step.

I found an article describing how McDonald's makes the perfect French fry. Say what you like, but I like them. There is a lot to admire about McDonald's - to me it is a minor miracle that the fries are so consistent, from country to country, and these fries are made by low paid and low skilled workers. The answer is the food scientists who work in McDonald's really know what they are doing. They have perfected the recipe, the cooking technique (temperature controlled fryers with automatic baskets), packaged the fries in perfect sizes for the fryer, and even invented a salt dispenser that dispenses the correct dose of salt per batch of fries. The attention to detail is all at the factory end where variables can be controlled.

That is when I realized that McDonald's fries actually have the same steps for a perfect French fry that are recommended in all the food blogs - parboil, low temperature fry, freeze. Then refry from frozen at 180C.

Now I can't go to the shops and buy frozen fries from McDonald's, but there are plenty of products like these in Aussie supermarkets:

662937.jpg

So I bought a pack and made up an oil mixture with 75% canola and 25% beef tallow (I mixed the oils to get the cost down, beef tallow is expensive!!). Also, McDonald's used to use beef tallow before they changed their oil due to health concerns. Beef tallow simply tastes better. I fried these fries from frozen at 180C until golden. Result: the best shoestring fries I have ever tasted, even better than McDonald's thanks to my use of beef tallow.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There is a lot to admire about McDonald's - to me it is a minor miracle that the fries are so consistent, from country to country,
Different recipes with different flavourings in different countries, so I'm not sure how consistent they really are. After the deception over ingredients leading to the 2001/2002 class action some people keep quite a close eye on what goes into them.

Top Bottom