• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potatoes

Digby

Major Contributor
I like them, but I rarely cook them. I do the usual baking and boiling, but it is kinda bland and repetitive. What do you do with potatoes? Please leave recipes below (preferably no deep frying, I think it is kinda the easy way out).

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Triple cooked potatoes crusted with cheese

Ingredients

- Floury potatoes (in Australia, use Dutch Cream or Desiree or Royal Blue)
- Either grated parmigiano-reggiano or Pecorino
- some kind of flavourful fat - butter, duck fat, goose fat, tallow, or olive oil
- some kind of herb - thyme, rosemary
- salt

Method
- Peel, cut to size, and parboil potatoes in heavily salted water until soft in the center and surface is almost disintegrating
- Toss in fat with cheese, herbs, and added salt if necessary. This tossing step is important! My potatoes fly into the air and land on the bowl when I am doing this! Make sure the surface of the potatoes mash slightly during this step!!!! This is what gives you crispy roast potatoes. At this stage, the potatoes should look like this. Notice that the surface of the potatoes is mashed!

1706107180290.png

- Roast in 200C oven for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove and allow to cool. At this point it looks like this:

1706107234823.png

- You can leave the potatoes like this for a few days, sealed, if necessary. When you want to eat, simply reheat it in the oven at 200C for another 15-20 min:

1706107320003.png

Here is another variation (this one no cheese):

15585272_10154838076339467_5365229903681014035_o.jpg

It is everything a roast potato should be. Crispy on the outside, herby, earthy, soft and buttery in the center.

BTW, most roast potato recipes omit the cheese. I have found that adding cheese massively shortens roasting time (you get a crispy crust much faster) and adds cheesy flavour. If you do not want cheesy flavour, you will be roasting the potatoes for about 90 minutes. I recommend the maximum temp your oven will go to in order to develop the flavours.

Variations: use different types of fat. Use different flavouring agents instead of cheese, e.g. porcini mushroom powder, smoked paprika, chicken stock powder, etc.

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BASIC MASHED POTATOES
  1. Chop potatoes of any size, scrubbed but skin-on, into smallish hunks;
  2. Chop a large onion finely;
  3. Boil the chopped potatoes and onions together for about 16-17 minutes in slightly salted water;
  4. Drain the cooked potatoes & onions thoroughly and added salt and white pepper to taste;
  5. Mash 'till no longer lumpy but not to a puree;
  6. Add a small amount of milk or cream, and a small amount of butter to taste; add a little minced garlic, fresh or preserved;
  7. Mash again just enough to evenly incorporate the milk/cream, butter, and garlic.
... Serve & eat.

droid2000

BASIC MASHED POTATOES
  1. Chop potatoes of any size, scrubbed but skin-on, into smallish hunks;
  2. Chop a large onion finely;
  3. Boil the chopped potatoes and onions together for about 16-17 minutes;
  4. Drain the cooked potatoes & onions thoroughly and added salt and white pepper to taste;
  5. Mash thoroughly but not to a puree;
  6. Add a small amount of milk or cream, and a small amount of butter; add a little minced garlic, fresh or preserved;
  7. Mash again just enough to evenly incorporate the milk/cream, butter, and garlic.
... Serve & eat.
This is the way.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Ultimate Mashed Potatoes

Goal: Infuse potatoes with as much potato and butter flavour as possible. The problem with mash is lack of Maillard flavours. Boiled potatoes can only be so interesting. My recipe adds the Maillard flavours into the mashed potato. More than that, most of the flavour of potatoes is in the skin. It is a total waste to throw it away. I first hit upon the idea to infuse the flavour of potato skins into milk. Then I realized that I could roast potato skins and get even more flavour and infuse that into milk! This is a complex multi-step recipe but it can be simplified if you wish. You can also decide what flavour to infuse your mash with. And this is my own recipe, I did not copy it from anyone!

And yeah if you think this is a lot of effort to go into mashed potatoes, wait till you see my roast chicken recipe. On the surface it's only chicken, milk, and salt. But the steps create the most chickeny roast chicken ever, which no restaurant will ever serve you because it involves so many steps.

Ingredients
- Floury Potatoes
- Butter (A LOT OF BUTTER!! I use 3:1 potato to butter by weight!)
- Milk
- Salt
- Garnish (I used smoked Paprika and Chives)

Method
- First you need to retrograde the starch in the potatoes (this helps stop the cells from breaking during the mashing process which makes the result starchy and gluey instead of smooth). Sous-vide whole potatoes at 69C for 30 minutes then plunge in cold water.
- Roast the potatoes at 180C for 1 hour until the middle is very soft
- Allow to slightly cool, then peel the skins off. Pass the flesh of the potato through a ricer into a bed of butter.
- Meanwhile, toss the potato skins in oil and roast until golden. Bring some milk to a gentle simmer and add the crispy skins. ALTERNATIVE: crumble supermarket potato chips or instant mash into butter and toast till golden, then infuse that into the milk. The goal is to infuse the milk with the flavour of the roasted potato skins. Sieve the milk to remove all lumpy bits.
- Add the infused milk into the mashed potato and pass through a fine sieve. Result:

67535_10151584752484467_461372682_n.jpg

Variations
I think of potatoes as vessels to carry other flavours. The recipe I gave above boosts the potato flavour to the max. If you wish, you could use cheese (I recommend cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino, or Manchego, but I have made it work with Gorgonzola, Stilton, and Roquefort ... just use less). I have also tried toasting instant mash potato mix with butter and using that to infuse milk. Also tried infusing supermarket packet potato chips (in Australia, use Samboy chips) in milk.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Roasted with a little avocado oil or olive oil drizzle.

With baked potatoes on the second (or third) day, I chop the cold potatoes up, pan fry them in a tablespoon or two of olive oil, and season them with salt and turmeric.

Potatoes love salt so it is the only food I season with salt. I use mostly Yukon Gold because the flesh is firm.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Goal: Infuse potatoes with as much potato and butter flavour as possible.
This, so much this.

My tip is when doing the initial mash do it over a low light to slightly reduce the water content. Potato flour can work well in the mix.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Easy Mashed Potatoes
- Supermarket frozen mashed potatoes
- Supermarket potato chips
- Butter
- Milk
- Salt, pepper, cheese, other flavourings

Method
- Microwave everything together and break up thoroughly with a potato masher. If texture is a concern, pass through a sieve. Otherwise, serve.

Yeah, don't judge me until you try it. This legit gives you a high end restaurant experience if you pass it through a sieve.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Potatoes Mille-Feuille

1706111665392.png

Goal: crispy outside, soft layered inside.

Ingredients
- Floury potatoes
- Heavy cream or double cream
- Potato flour
- Thyme
- Salt, pepper

Method
- Season the cream with potato flour, salt, pepper, and thyme
- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly with a mandolin, dropping all slices into the cream
- Layer the sliced potatoes into a mold. Make sure you line the sides with baking paper. You can add more thyme in between slices if you wish.
- Fold the baking paper over the potatoes and cover with foil. Bake for 2 hours.
- At the end of baking time, lay a duplicate mold on top of the mold with the potatoes. Compress the potatoes with the second mold. When cooled, allow to rest in the fridge for at least 8 hours, up to a week.
- To serve, cut slices and fry until golden. Serve with meat of your choice. Look how elegant it is, it is just as delicious.

I can keep going on and on with potato recipes. My other hobby (besides audio) is cooking. Unlike audio, cooking opens the door to a lot of creativity in addition to science. I can go on forever about potatoes, but I'll stop here before I bore all of you to death.

Last edited:

Plan9

My wife's smashed red skin (skin on) skillet potatoes accompanied by baked garlic parmesan Buffalo wings. Potatoes cooked on one side until golden and slightly crispy, not flipped, so upper part is soft. Perfectly nice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240124-134307_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240124-134307_Gmail.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 41

Multicore

Major Contributor
Chop them into modest chunks, nuke em (like a Duke), and finish in the 14" cast iron skillet with oil (usually olive). Herbs and seasoning as you like it. Lazy but good. This accompanies nearly all my meat meals, like roast chicken or lego lamb.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
this is a great thread!
we grow potatoes, but we don't often do anything exciting with them.
Home-grown 'taters do taste better (a milder and more subtle flavor -- possibly placebo effect, but I don't think so!). ;)

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Potatoes Mille-Feuille

View attachment 344671

Goal: crispy outside, soft layered inside.

Ingredients
- Floury potatoes
- Heavy cream or double cream
- Potato flour
- Thyme
- Salt, pepper

Method
- Season the cream with potato flour, salt, pepper, and thyme
- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly with a mandolin, dropping all slices into the cream
- Layer the sliced potatoes into a mold. Make sure you line the sides with baking paper. You can add more thyme in between slices if you wish.
- Fold the baking paper over the potatoes and cover with foil. Bake for 2 hours.
- At the end of baking time, lay a duplicate mold on top of the mold with the potatoes. Compress the potatoes with the second mold. When cooled, allow to rest in the fridge for at least 8 hours, up to a week.
- To serve, cut slices and fry until golden. Serve with meat of your choice. Look how elegant it is, it is just as delicious.

I can keep going on and on with potato recipes. My other hobby (besides audio) is cooking. Unlike audio, cooking opens the door to a lot of creativity in addition to science. I can go on forever about potatoes, but I'll stop here before I bore all of you to death.
Show off!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Love mash (milky/buttery), love baked potatoes, love chips, pretty much anything potato... also sauteed potatoes. Peel, cut 'em up into small pieces, microwave to get the heat into them and par-cook a little, put into hot pan with olive oil and butter. I like to add some garlic and herb salt during the cooking process... superb. :)

JSmith

Top Bottom