• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potatoes

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Potatoes...

While browning 2 or so lbs of hot or sweet Italian sausage on the stove, peel somewhere around 5-6 lbs of Idaho russets, slice a couple large yellow onions and peel a half dozen or so garlic gloves. If you like it on the spicy side, slightly fry some hot pepper flakes in the sausage grease.

Cut the potatoes into large chunks and put in a large ceramic or glass casserole dish. Mix in the onions. Pour the sausage grease over the potatoes and onions and liberally apply S&P (stir a little if you have the room without pieces going overboard). Cut the sausages into bite-size pieces, or leave them whole (and cut when serving -- both ways work) and push them down into the potatoes. Smash the garlic cloves and add them in. Drizzle some olive oil over the top. Cover the top of the casserole with a lid or aluminum foil and put it in a 350 degF oven. Cook for maybe an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Stir the contents every 30 minutes or so to ensure each piece of potato gets some lovin' time down in the grease. When the potatoes are soft, remove the foil, raise the heat to 425 degF and cook another 20-30 minutes to get some crispy bits around the sides and on the top.

Best potato dish ever, and it even works okay if you forget to add the potatoes.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Wrap potato in tinfoil and bake, or toss into campfire. Remove after 30-45 minutes and enjoy. Add a touch of salt, soy sauce, or Tabasco to taste.
This is a healthy way to eat them, skins and all, high fiber, without the added fats or sugars of many other recipes.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Wrap potato in tinfoil and bake, or toss into campfire.
Yes, haven't done this for a long time, always good.
Add a touch of salt, soy sauce, or Tabasco to taste.
I'd be more inclined to add a heap of butter after cutting it into four... or maybe chives and sour cream. :cool:

soured-cream-chive-jacket-potatoes-732942d.jpg

JSmith

just1n

Forum Donor

We never make mashed potatoes at home, much to my chagrin. We do variations of the above with whatever herbs we are in the mood for that night.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... We never make mashed potatoes at home, much to my chagrin. We do variations of the above with whatever herbs we are in the mood for that night.
That is my absolute FAVORITE way to eat potatoes. It's hard to leave any for the next day.

CapMan

Major Contributor

This is posh mash which tastes very luxurious courtesy of the truffle oil and far too much butter ;)

Recommend buying a potato ricer to make sure the mash stays light. Never use a blender - it makes the mash starchy and gluey.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Jansson's Temptation / Janssons Frestelse

1398970_10152111617854467_251215594_o.jpg

This is a classic Swedish potato gratin made with onions, anchovies, cream, and breadcrumbs. In this version, I added cheese but this is definitely not traditional. My late best friend (RIP) was Swedish, and his parents used to make this every year for Christmas. His widow and children continue the tradition. Their family version used normal anchovies and they added cheese. It is what I am used to, having never tasted the original version until I went to Sweden. So I will give two recipes to make the yummier cheesy version (IN MY OPINION!) and the traditional Swedish version.

The crust is by far the tastiest part of this dish so I prefer shallower casseroles. You maximize the crust this way. This recipe is easy to make and can be prepared in advance and then reheated in an oven. The photo above was taken at one of my dinner parties.

Ingredients
- 900g potatoes, peeled and cut into french fry sticks. I prefer waxy varieties but apparently the Swedes use both.
- 300g onions, thinly sliced (3:1 potato to onion ratio)
- Anchovies. The traditional version calls for Swedish anchovies, i.e. sprats. You can find this in IKEA. These are less salty than normal anchovies. They are also spiced which brings a different flavour profile. If using sprats, you need more - about 300g. If using normal anchovies, use 150g. Cut the anchovies into large chunks. I strongly recommend seeking out Swedish anchovies.
- enough double cream to cover the mixture in your baking vessel, about 400-500mL.
- breadcrumbs, butter, salt and pepper
- (optional) grated Gruyere cheese <--- Swedes are less strict about authenticity in food recipes than Italians, so hopefully my inclusion of a non-authentic ingredient won't set the Swedish mafia on me!

Method
- Layer the potatoes, onions, and anchovies in your baking dish.
- Season the cream with salt and pepper, then pour it into the mixture. Press everything flat.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs (+/- cheese) on top. Add some pats of butter.
- Bake in 180C oven for about 45-60min. If the top is browning too fast, cover with foil.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Mmm... tasty;

SIMPLY-RECIPES-Classic-Potato-Salad-LEAD-2-Horizontal-3dc58bbc058844cbb1e9242e8b1515a7.jpg

JSmith

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Salt Roasted Potatoes

558010_10151596158304467_852081741_n.jpg

I looked through my photo archive and I couldn't find a picture of the potatoes alone, so you will have to make do with the above picture. The potatoes were served with fish. This is a simple and very nice recipe which maximizes the earthy flavour of potatoes by dehydrating them in salt. The traditional version calls for boiling the potatoes and then slow roasting them in a frypan with a lot of salt with no oil, but I find that boiling the potatoes causes them to lose flavour to the water. So I roast my potatoes instead.

If you like salt roasting, consider making Chinese Salt-Baked Chicken. If you make it the traditional way, it is truly an amazing dish.

Ingredients
- Small waxy potatoes. I prefer Kipfler.
- Kosher salt

Method
- Wash the potatoes and wrap them up in a foil parcel, make sure you keep the potatoes in one layer.
- Roast at 180C for 45 minutes until cooked - use the metal skewer test. It should pierce the potato easily, and when you hold the skewer to your lip it should be hot.
- Toss the potato in a frypan with a handful of kosher salt and pan-roast until wrinkled and a little bit burnt. DO NOT ADD ANY OIL. Oil will cause the salt to stick to the potatoes and make them very salty!
- Shake excess salt off and serve.

D

Deleted member 48726

BASIC MASHED POTATOES
  1. Chop potatoes of any size, scrubbed but skin-on, into smallish hunks;
  2. Chop a large onion finely;
  3. Boil the chopped potatoes and onions together for about 16-17 minutes in slightly salted water;
  4. Drain the cooked potatoes & onions thoroughly and added salt and white pepper to taste;
  5. Mash 'till no longer lumpy but not to a puree;
  6. Add a small amount of milk or cream, and a small amount of butter to taste; add a little minced garlic, fresh or preserved;
  7. Mash again just enough to evenly incorporate the milk/cream, butter, and garlic.
... Serve & eat.

Fry chopped bacon to go with that. Heaven! :D

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Replace the wonderful recipes above call for frying oil with duck fat. Where does one get duck fat, well one buys some duck breasts (usually has ~2 cm of fat) and cooks them in a pan in the French Provincial style. That is, get the pan hot with dab cooking oil just to start and place the breast skin/fat side down soon there will be liquid fat. Tilt the pan slightly and repeatedly spoon the hot pooling fat over the tops of the uncooked sides until done, about five minutes. Plenty of left over fat will be available and can be stored a small bowl ramekin in the fridge.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Replace the wonderful recipes above call for frying oil with duck fat. Where does one get duck fat, well one buys some duck breasts (usually has ~2 cm of fat) and cooks them in a pan in the French Provincial style. That is, get the pan hot with dab cooking oil just to start and place the breast skin/fat side down soon there will be liquid fat. Tilt the pan slightly and repeatedly spoon the hot pooling fat over the tops of the uncooked sides until done, about five minutes. Plenty of left over fat will be available and can be stored a small bowl ramekin in the fridge.
You can buy goose fat in jars.

1706211661840.png

xray

I save a tub of bacon fat and a tub of duck fat in the fridge. There are many uses for it. Add to brussel sprouts or potatoes to roast. I also use the bacon fat to clean and season my grill.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys, my wife is the chef and I am facilities and janitorial. But my son and I did cook duck as I described for her birthday a couple years back.

xray

Sorry for being a bit OT for this thread...

I cook duck breasts starting from a cold pan with the skin side down on medium-low heat. I find it helps render more of the fat out, especially if you scored the skin. Once most of the fat is out then drain off and save the excess fat then I turn it up to sear on both sides.

Definitely more than one way to get a good result, that's just the way I do it.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I'm feeling fancy, I might just chop potatoes (with skin) into bite-sized chunks, and oven-roast them with olive oil, salt, maybe garlic and/or rosemary. Easy, and super-tasty.

Mikig

You can try making potato gnocchi.
Very simple to do; potatoes, flour, egg, salt. If you search online you will find various recipes.

Once made you can season them in a thousand ways, with tomato sauce, clams and courgettes, mushrooms, gorgonzola and walnuts or the classic melted butter and sage with Parmesan...

Top Bottom