• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Freedb to close

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
well, that's sad

I checked the Goodwill auction site the other day and saw a lot of CDs for sale - in 25 lb. lots.

When CDs are getting sold in bulk lots they are dying out...

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm seriously bummed out by this, I use them all the time from foobar after ripping thrift score CDs. I must've used it half a dozen time sin the past week. But I understand it's a free service that's difficult to monetize.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What does this mean if they are closing:

1578427764219.png

Is that some stale news?

thefsb

I've been ripping with dBpoweramp and probably half the disks are only found in FreeDB. It has had a serious quality problem since forever but it turns out it's a lot better than nothing.

Hugo9000

What does this mean if they are closing:

View attachment 44949

Is that some stale news?
Apparently that statement you quoted dates back to 2006. I wonder why they didn't delete that when they added the announcement of the shutdown set for March this year.

Urgent notice

freedb.org and its services will be shut down on March 31st of 2020.

Shadrach

What a shame. It's saved me a lot of searching. I wonder what Exact Audio Copy will use if anything.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Thankfully I've got my CD collection ripped. I only buy the occasional CD now, mostly stuff that can't be downloaded/streamed, so typing in tags is not that much of a burden.

thefsb

Afaict, dBpoweramp refuses to work with Cue Tools DB (CTDB). So when freedb.org closes it will be very limited. Otoh, it's the only software I have found that makes batch ripping fast. The only interaction I need is to put a new disk in the drive and close it.

Top Bottom