• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio's First Dual-Mode Balanced Amplifier ZA3

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Here are the reasons to choose this one over other fosi and aiyima amps:
- mono mode
- trigger in
- XLR

It is not really about sound quality but about features

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think people are throwing out... if you dont want XLR why buy this?

well that's the main selling point... theyre not putting in the ports for show... dont buy this if you arent using it (or maybe buy it for future expansion)

the above unit has is a TPA unit... its just a better mousetrap

the mono mode is bust

As usual the line out pre out sub out whatever is worthless... I couldnt trust anyone to do this properly so you may as well put a piece of black tape over the hole and rely on your preamp dac dsp to do the heavy lifting

i would put it out there than very few of us could dbx a v3 or this or the 07 max

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
i think people are throwing out... if you dont want XLR why buy this?

well that's the main selling point... theyre not putting in the ports for show... dont buy this if you arent using it (or maybe buy it for future expansion)

the above unit has is a TPA unit... its just a better mousetrap

the mono mode is bust

As usual the line out pre out sub out whatever is worthless... I couldnt trust anyone to do this properly so you may as well put a piece of black tape over the hole and rely on your preamp dac dsp to do the heavy lifting

i would put it out there than very few of us could dbx a v3 or this or the 07 max
In my case, I needed a small cheap monoblock with trigger in and reasonable performance for a central channel. That's the only device that I found matching these requirements.

Last edited:

Petevid

i looked at this amp and at the v3; unless one really needed balanced inputs, i don't see why one wouldn't simply buy the v3.

sinad on the v3 is 88db vs the za3's 89db, but distortion specs are half, snr is 4db better, and power is 50% more. (at least per mfr; it seems asr's/amir's v3 measurements indicate the specs are optimistic? i've not seem measurements of the za3's).

retail prices (15% discount coupon is offered at present) are $90/32v; $110/48v; $140/48v-gan for the v3, vs $130/32v; $150/48v; (no gan ps offered?) for the za3.

does the za3 sound better than the v3? i've just started reading the asr reviews, and haven't seen that. if you want two amps, just buy the two v3's; and only use one channel; it will still make similar (or more?) power than za3's bridged. and, the subwoofer out "feature" is worthless, imo, as subs should be run in stereo, w/the mains hi passed, so they and their amp(s) won't see the low frequencies.

comments appreciated.

thanks,

doug s.
The ZA3 having a trigger input is the deciding factor for me. Connected to a Wiim Pro/Plus you get remote control over the on/off switching.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
does it really matter that its $20 more? really? and we know XLR dacs have kind of also hit the floor as far as pricing goes.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
does it really matter that its $20 more? really? and we know XLR dacs have kind of also hit the floor as far as pricing goes.
Your diatribe against the ZA3 is very weird...
Why keep repeating that device is a non sense, according you ?
Sure the device isn't for you and so what?
Others might have requirements and/or interest for usages other than yours !

I would not use it for powering my mains.
but for a central channel yes.
I don't even need XLR.
And I don't care paying few dollars for a built-in trigger.

And once again, if you are aware of a cheap monoblock with a trigger in, with same or better specs and cheaper than the ZA3, let me know ;)

Reactions: MCH

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Your diatribe against the ZA3 is very weird...
Why keep repeating that device is a non sense, according you ?
Sure the device isn't for you and so what?
Others might have requirements and/or interest for usages other than yours !

i'm assuming this is a language problem

i have no issue with this amp in this price range

all i am saying is that this amp is like $20 more than the V3... does $20 matter to you when you live your life

and then there are people going about how its not advanced over the V3 or what not

like who cares? these are all good amps... even if you buy the XLR amp and dont use it then... so what?

so many people here want to pick minor flaws

in future i guess i will ignore all ESL people here and I hope they do me the same favor

thing is none of what I pick about this amp hasnt been addressed or maybe never will ever be addressed since this isnt even their first try at this

again 90w to 110w is worth using a mono amp? ok you do you

doug s.

hi all,

i didn't mean to cause a ruckus! i was just curious, is all. i have no interest in xlr's or triggers. and, it just seemed to me that the v3 is a better amp, and less expensive, as well. for those who require xlr's and/or triggers, i can understand.

carry on,

doug s.

Eggs Ackley

Big disappointment. Lot's of little issues and finally a sudden death. Right out of the box it would not even power on. I had to hold the knob in for 15 seconds for it turn on and after that the start times would vary and the knob felt loose also lot's of pops and clicks. I would hold my breath every time, praying it would work. When it did work, it sounded great. Then after only about four hours of use the right channel died and a few minutes later the left went silent too. Other than that it was a great little amp. I'm glad I bought it from Amazon, got my refund in hours. The irony here is that I got the ZA3 to replace my Topping PA5 which is still working after two years.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Big disappointment. Lot's of little issues and finally a sudden death. Right out of the box it would not even power on. I had to hold the knob in for 15 seconds for it turn on and after that the start times would vary and the knob felt loose also lot's of pops and clicks. I would hold my breath every time, praying it would work. When it did work, it sounded great. Then after only about four hours of use the right channel died and a few minutes later the left went silent too. Other than that it was a great little amp. I'm glad I bought it from Amazon, got my refund in hours. The irony here is that I got the ZA3 to replace my Topping PA5 which is still working after two years.
My Topping PA5 is still firing up and I am on 'day 27' of using a Fosi Audio ZA3 speaker amplifier. I hope we don't have to add a poll on reliability to this thread Thanks for the update.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Something similar started happening with my test/beta unit few days back, I have made a video and sent to Fosi.
There is also something similar reported in some youtube video during some review.
Toku has some issues with on/off knob as well with his pre-prod unit.
Don’t want to conclude anything but beta units (at least) might have some issues, however Fosi can tell if they have done anything different in prod units.

OldTimer

hi all,

i didn't mean to cause a ruckus! i was just curious, is all. i have no interest in xlr's or triggers. and, it just seemed to me that the v3 is a better amp, and less expensive, as well. for those who require xlr's and/or triggers, i can understand.

carry on,

doug s.
Trigger is quite useful because it operates mostly connected to dac/preamp that has trigger out.
My dac/preamp has auto off after 5 minutes no sound but the V3 amp still on.

Last edited:

doug s.

Trigger is quite useful because it operates mostly connected to dac/preamp that has trigger out.
My dac/preamp has auto off after 5 minutes no sound but the V3 amp still on.
so, you have the v3? (no trigger on that one.) personally, i would not worry about leaving the v3 on 24/7. very little power draw when idling. and, in my set-up, i have no qualms about manually turning everything off - which is 5 separate amps, heh!

which p/s did you get? i've queried fosi about the differences between the 48v and the gan 48v, but have not gotten a reply.

doug s.

OldTimer

so, you have the v3? (no trigger on that one.) personally, i would not worry about leaving the v3 on 24/7. very little power draw when idling.

which p/s did you get? i've queried fosi about the differences between the 48v and the gan 48v, but have not gotten a reply.

doug s.
Just get the 48v. I don’t know the different to 48v gan. Idling with no sound is about 8w, not like my dac/preamp which is 40w.

doug s.

no. Don’t know how to do it.
pop the lid, pull out the existing opamps and replace.
fosi v3 opamps.jpg

doug s.

Eggs Ackley

Something similar started happening with my test/beta unit few days back, I have made a video and sent to Fosi.
There is also something similar reported in some youtube video during some review.
Toku has some issues with on/off knob as well with his pre-prod unit.
Don’t want to conclude anything but beta units (at least) might have some issues, however Fosi can tell if they have done anything different in prod units.
I considered reordering from Fosi but it will cost 30.00 more and is a three month wait. My enthusiasm for this amp is gone.

Top Bottom