• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 97 20.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 370 76.3%

• Total voters

galego100

One 48V/10A with the splitter cord is enough to power two units in full power ( theoretical 300W) ?

Kayshot

One 48V/10A with the splitter cord is enough to power two units in full power ( theoretical 300W) ?
To summarize, there is some concern that the power-supply claiming 10A only outputs 6.3A total, across two of these amps, when connected via splitter.
This stems from testing done by one reviewer, and people searching up the model number for this power supply. I haven't seen the video, but saw someone saying this lack of 10A led to some audible distortion when running two amps connected to one "10A" with the splitter.

We're patiently waiting for Fosi to chime in here, as they may be using some kind of true 10A revision of this power supply via the manufacturer.

SMen

To summarize, there is some concern that the power-supply claiming 10A only outputs 6.3A total, across two of these amps, when connected via splitter.
This stems from testing done by one reviewer, and people searching up the model number for this power supply. I haven't seen the video, but saw someone saying this lack of 10A led to some audible distortion when running two amps connected to one "10A" with the splitter.

We're patiently waiting for Fosi to chime in here, as they may be using some kind of true 10A revision of this power supply via the manufacturer.
Yes absolutely right. @Fosi Audio - my assumption is that this is "some kind of true 10A revision of this power supply via the manufacturer". I think it is a good idea to power both (in certain use cases) from one power supply - but not if miss-informed users with certain use cases find themselves having to buy a second one (unnecessarily).

The reviewer was linked to here. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-v3-mono-amplifier-review.53474/post-1963060

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
My assumption is it's rated for 6.3A continuous but 10A for short term peaks (hence the MAX), similar to the continuous/peak ratings for some of the Meanwell models. I looked for a datasheet to confirm, but couldn't find one.

SMen

My assumption is it's rated for 6.3A continuous but 10A for short term peaks (hence the MAX), similar to the continuous/peak ratings for some of the Meanwell models. I looked for a datasheet to confirm, but couldn't find one.
This is not up to us to justify or explain! :) (10A max vs 6.3A imprinted on the unit)

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning

If P = V x I ... with 48 volts and 10 amp, yes, theoretically you have 480 watts.

If you don't have 10 amp ... maybe not.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't think that this is necessarily bad.
In the crazy case someone runs this amp to it's limit with a true 48V-10A PSU and assuming it's even 90% efficient they will be 40-50 watt of heat to dissipate and its size (total dissipating area) do not inspire it will do so for more than seconds.

Time limited peaks from both sides can come handy sometimes.

Rafaille

I don't think that this is necessarily bad.
In the crazy case someone runs this amp to it's limit with a true 48V-10A PSU and assuming it's even 90% efficient they will be 40-50 watt of heat to dissipate and its size (total dissipating area) do not inspire it will do so for more than seconds.

Time limited peaks from both sides can come handy sometimes.
Agree, but to run two amps with one 10A, it would be nice if we had 5A for each and not 6.2A to share.
I am thinking about changing my pledge from 1x10A to 2x5A (for a pair of amps), I was initially happy to limit clutter with a single psu but now it feels like I am losing peace of mind instead.

Does anyone know if there is a time order for shipping? If I change my kickstarter pledge, will I go back to the end of the queue? I got an early bird offer, that would be a shame. But then again, peace of mind...

redstang

Agree, but to run two amps with one 10A, it would be nice if we had 5A for each and not 6.2A to share.
I am thinking about changing my pledge from 1x10A to 2x5A (for a pair of amps), I was initially happy to limit clutter with a single psu but now it feels like I am losing peace of mind instead.

Does anyone know if there is a time order for shipping? If I change my kickstarter pledge, will I go back to the end of the queue? I got an early bird offer, that would be a shame. But then again, peace of mind...
I was torn on which to buy - dual 5A or single 10A - OR dual 10A. I went with single 10A with the thought that if the 10A is limited for two, 5A will be probably be limited for one, so better off having to buy a single extra 10A down the road than wanting to upgrade both the 5A power supplies. Buying a second 10A sort of breaks the value proposition for these, however.

Long term, my intended use for these is likely in a smallish 2ch listening room rather than serving as amps in my HT. Therefore I don't expect to be driving them to their limits so I assume the single 10A will be fine. But who knows - maybe getting 7-9 more for a full monoblock amp array for HT is in the cards ;)

Rafaille

I was torn on which to buy - dual 5A or single 10A - OR dual 10A. I went with single 10A with the thought that if the 10A is limited for two, 5A will be probably be limited for one, so better off having to buy a single extra 10A down the road than wanting to upgrade both the 5A power supplies. Buying a second 10A sort of breaks the value proposition for these, however.

Long term, my intended use for these is likely in a smallish 2ch listening room rather than serving as amps in my HT. Therefore I don't expect to be driving them to their limits so I assume the single 10A will be fine. But who knows - maybe getting 7-9 more for a full monoblock amp array for HT is in the cards ;)
Again I agree totally.
5A for each amp or 10A for two could be limiting but that would be for edge cases.
However, 6.2A to share between two amps could be a real limitation, and since what we really like about these monoblocks is the power they can deliver (for the price) then the value proposition is badly affected here as well.

drmevo

This was my thinking as well in choosing the 10A and possibly buying another down the line. Now I’m wondering if just having them as separate 5A to start with would be more beneficial.

Lednek

This was my thinking as well in choosing the 10A and possibly buying another down the line. Now I’m wondering if just having them as separate 5A to start with would be more beneficial.
I am "patiently"-ish waiting for Fosi to respond, but I'm thinking I'll change my two 10A supplies to two 5A. I don't have or plan to get any low impedance speakers. I like the idea of having more and not needing it, but if it's only 1.3A additional output, I can't see spending double for it, when it won't be used anyway.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just saw a bit on Erin's FB posting about he was going to give two of these away but only has one now due to one going up in flames....might have to do with a 1 ohm load?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Just saw a bit on Erin's FB posting about he was going to give two of these away but only has one now due to one going up in flames....might have to do with a 1 ohm load?
fosi should consider this '3rd party authorised destructive testing'

also what speaker is he using thats going down to 1 ohm?

Daverz

Major Contributor

It's not a speaker, it's a "complex reactive load" he uses for testing. Erin himself makes the point that you are unlikely to have the same problem unless you are testing the amps in the same way.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
oh the infamous amp dyno like williston

yeah that would do it

Sokel

Master Contributor

That's his reactive loads.

Reactive Loads DAT.png

Far from 1 Ohm,not even close to 2 Ohm,it's more like a 3 Ohm one.
But hard,nevertheless.

galego100

The pledge with one 10A includes the splitter cord or we have to add it?

Top Bottom