• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 or Claret 4pre

Pancreas

They're similar size and have the same outputs and inputs, but the price difference is $369 vs 699

They both have 4 outputs, spdif, optical, power supply, etc.

I'm interested in them, because of size, but also the anti thump technology that prevents pops if speakers are on before interface turns on.

The Claett 4pre only has this anti thump circuitry on line outputs 1 and 2

The Scarlett 18i8 has it all 4 outputs.

The big difference is the Clarett has better preamps and

The Clarett uses the same converters as the Babyface Pro. Converters used for the Focusrite Scarlett are the Cirrus Logic CS4272

I would expect the Clarett is similar to the RME with slightly higher latency and worse driver support down the road

I'm a guitar player, so the quality of interface plays a role. I currently have a Scarlett solo and I've out grown it.

I want the anti thump technology, so the 18i8 will suffice for my needs, but after hearing audios comparison between scarlett and clarett

There is a difference in sound, especially for guitars.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
They're similar size and have the same outputs and inputs, but the price difference is $369 vs 699

They both have 4 outputs, spdif, optical, power supply, etc.

I'm interested in them, because of size, but also the anti thump technology that prevents pops if speakers are on before interface turns on.

The Claett 4pre only has this anti thump circuitry on line outputs 1 and 2

The Scarlett 18i8 has it all 4 outputs.

The big difference is the Clarett has better preamps and

The Clarett uses the same converters as the Babyface Pro. Converters used for the Focusrite Scarlett are the Cirrus Logic CS4272

I would expect the Clarett is similar to the RME with slightly higher latency and worse driver support down the road

I'm a guitar player, so the quality of interface plays a role. I currently have a Scarlett solo and I've out grown it.

I want the anti thump technology, so the 18i8 will suffice for my needs, but after hearing audios comparison between scarlett and clarett

There is a difference in sound, especially for guitars.

I have the 4i4 and occasionally play guitar. Looking at the specs, although the Claret has better noise and distortion (SINAD) the Scarlet comes in at about 95dB SINAD which is still well below audible levels (there is a software to test your own levels here:

So I doubt they sound different when comparing level matched and blind. There is orders of more distortion and noise coming in from your guitars pickups, so I would not worry and go with the cheaper option. If you however do voice recording the Claret give additional dynamic range (lower noise) so you have a bit more flexibility in mastering (but you need good mics).

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I have the 4i4 and occasionally play guitar. Looking at the specs, although the Claret has better noise and distortion (SINAD) the Scarlet comes in at about 95dB SINAD which is still well below audible levels (there is a software to test your own levels here:

So I doubt they sound different when comparing level matched and blind. There is orders of more distortion and noise coming in from your guitars pickups, so I would not worry and go with the cheaper option. If you however do voice recording the Claret give additional dynamic range (lower noise) so you have a bit more flexibility in mastering (but you need good mics).

I don't know read some reviews on reddit and youtube and people say the clarett sounds better

I don't know but my speakers are worth $1400 kinda doesnt make sense drive them with a cheap interface

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I don't know read some reviews on reddit and youtube and people say the clarett sounds better

I don't know but my speakers are worth $1400 kinda doesnt make sense drive them with a cheap interface
Then buy the expensive one. Nothing wrong with it and is not breaking the bank either, I guess. I run mine into KH80/750.

Just wouldn’t trust YT etc without actual facts. People tell all kinds of stories on the internet. The most probable cause why people hear differences is that

Or a commercial conflict of interest.

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Then buy the expensive one. Nothing wrong with it and is not breaking the bank either, I guess. I run mine into KH80/750.

Just wouldn’t trust YT etc without actual facts. People tell all kinds of stories on the internet. The most probable cause why people hear differences is that

Or a commercial conflict of interest.

I’ll buy them from amazon and compared with the scarlett solo i have especially playing my guitar if i dont feel is a good improvement ill return it lol

Top Bottom