• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio interface with SPDIF out

Elmutcho

Hi there, i'm lining up to buy some Genelec 8341a's and I'm trying to work out best way of feeding them digital signal. I'm also looking to start some home recording with my band and so I figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone with an audio interface. I'm looking at Focusrite Clarett+ 4Pre, Motu Ultramlite MkV or perhaps a RME Babyface Pro FS.
Firstly, and this maybe a silly question but i'm struggling to find an answer anywhere, are these suitable to drive the Genelecs from my MacBook pro from the digital outputs with a SPDIF to AES converter.
Secondly if they all will work for this purpose, any preferences on them. The Motu seems a little overkill for my purposes, recording guitar/bass/vocals, and i'm looking for simple operation.
Thank you for any advice,

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
E

Elmutcho

Sorry, thank you for your reply but I was looking for input for recording guitar/bass/vocals

OP
E

Elmutcho

Any advice if I want both analogue inputs and digital out?? Thanks

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RME Babyface Pro FS. Only has optical out so you would need a converter or use XLR to the Genelecs.

Maybe

MOTU 8D USB / AVB Interface with AES3 and S/PDIF​

8-in/8-out AVB/USB Audio Interface, with AES3 and S/PDIF Digital I/O - Mac/PC/iOS

asrUser

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Thomann have filters so you can narrow your search for interfaces. Unfortunately the digital ones aren't split by inputs and outputs, but it's a good start.

Hemi-Demon

It's a tad overpriced, but the RME ADI-2 pro se is perfect for that use. If you don't need the more powerful headphone amp, you could get the regular pro version and save some money. You have Genelecs so I don't think you are worried about a budget.

The auto reference gain control system is the best on the market, the clocking system is excellent, responsive remote, analog (and digital) inputs, ground management and EQ for your headphones. You wont need it for your speakers since you have SAM control.

The user interface is a bit much, but the new windows or ios remote is a godsend. RME really supports their devices for a long time. Something other manufacturers should take note of.

For $2,500 I would have preferred a 9039MS pro chip, a dedicated ground for the phono input functionality, and a better PSU, as I don't really like the PSU brick whine when the unit it powered off (it's silent when in use). You have to put your ear right up to the brick to hear the whine, which of course doesn't happy that often under a table. At $2,500 it should be perfect.

The dac chip inside the RME doesn't really matter for your use since the speakers have a dac inside, and will down sample everything anyway.

Top Bottom