• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focus - new active Dynaudio speakers

Novak

Dynaudio has Dirac live built in. In my experience Dirac live is a massive improvement to correct the room. Driving my Dynaudio XD20s it has made a huge improvement especially in clarity of the 50-300 hz region.

Can the Buchardt do room correction as well?
Yes they do. I am not capable of comparing both room correction mechanisms

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely. Through the Hub, the app, and now they do sell their own microphone.

Sorry for my personal question but I am hesitating to move on the Dynaudio Focus 50 or toward Buchardt a700. Is there any objective reason to prefer one or the other except the price?
This one is not easy.

The Focus 50 sounds phenomenal IMHO, as does the A700. Being more pragmatic, I do consider the integrated module amp and features of the Focus to be superior (both longevity and abilities to drive the speakers at higher SPL). While I do love Buchardt, their partnership with Platin is really a downside to me. Now, about the drivers, the ones in Focus are derived from the Evoke line, and of better quality than the SB Acoustics Buchardt uses. Yet... there's some 3700€ difference between both offerings, which is absolutely not negligeable. I would personally pick the A700 over the Focus 30, but the Focus 50 at the end of the day, is both were priced the same.

PS: From what I've heard, you still have to pay for Dirac license with Focus. That could be a better RoomEQ.

Novak

Absolutely. Through the Hub, the app, and now they do sell their own microphone.

This one is not easy.

The Focus 50 sounds phenomenal IMHO, as does the A700. Being more pragmatic, I do consider the integrated module amp and features of the Focus to be superior (both longevity and abilities to drive the speakers at higher SPL). While I do love Buchardt, their partnership with Platin is really a downside to me. Now, about the drivers, the ones in Focus are derived from the Evoke line, and of better quality than the SB Acoustics Buchardt uses. Yet... there's some 3700€ difference between both offerings, which is absolutely not negligeable. I would personally pick the A700 over the Focus 30, but the Focus 50 at the end of the day, is both were priced the same.

PS: From what I've heard, you still have to pay for Dirac license with Focus. That could be a better RoomEQ.
Thank you, VintageFlanker. It's always a pleasure to read your posts!
In everyday life, when using speakers in a living room (mine is 38m2), we tend to listen at low volumes. I've read that Buchardt has a Low Level Enhancement feature which seems smart on paper (and likely in practical terms too). I dont know about dynaudio but could that be a decision criteria?

lowkeyoperations

Great to see more speakers with built
In room correction!

Regarding the low level enhancement, if the Dynaudio can load multiple Dirac filters to choose from in the same way that Dirac Live on my Max can, then you can have several different slopes/curves including for low level enhancements.

John Limbach

Dynaudio has Dirac live built in. In my experience Dirac live is a massive improvement to correct the room. Driving my Dynaudio XD20s it has made a huge improvement especially in clarity of the 50-300 hz region.

The Buchardts do use room correction. I love it and I’ve had the speakers for just about 3 years. Also the master tunings for the A700 are fantastic, including the cardiod tuning. To be fair it is, other than the Buchardt A500 the only current active speaker I’ve listened to. That being said I do have 3 years of much playback with these. I think you’d have a very hard time going wrong with the A700’s and service is wonderful

Top Bottom