• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal elex in the uk?

Kalupaw2

I’m from the uk, so drop x headphones are difficult to come by. I’ve been after a pair of focal elex and I’ve just found this uk website.

Has anyone used npaudio before? Seems almost too good to be true. (Image attached)

Thanks!

Attachments

• C0D841CC-F5DF-4DED-850E-3260D4CC2850.png
    C0D841CC-F5DF-4DED-850E-3260D4CC2850.png
    681 KB · Views: 234

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
K

Kalupaw2

I would tread very carefully. If it's legit it's a no brainer for price . But my understanding is that Focal don't want the elex retailed in Europe /Uk so one has to question where their stock is from. And what consumer protections /warranties you get.
Ok thanks. Thought it seemed a bit sketchy. Any idea why they don’t want it retailed over here?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok thanks. Thought it seemed a bit sketchy. Any idea why they don’t want it retailed over here?
Because it massively undercuts their other products. I can only surmise the deal with Drop was to either build up their profile in the US / loss lead or some way of managing overstock /revenues. Its one of the few Drop items I've encountered that is forbidden to ship to the UK

OP
K

Kalupaw2

Because it massively undercuts their other products. I can only surmise the deal with Drop was to either build up their profile in the US / loss lead or some way of managing overstock /revenues. Its one of the few Drop items I've encountered that is forbidden to ship to the UK
This is an email from them. Sounds alright, but for some reason I get a sketchy vibe.

Attachments

• 8C90B4A9-1074-4F82-81F9-13454E7709FB.png
    8C90B4A9-1074-4F82-81F9-13454E7709FB.png
    543.2 KB · Views: 490

Skinner001

Not to mention the Elex are terrible BQ and QC, plenty of options out there, cheaper without taking on so much risk.

Skinner001

What would you recommend? I was considering the ananda
I would pass on the Ananda, if you look at the reviews here and general impressions - the "little" brothers are better - the Sundara and HE400SE from Hifiman. Then there's something like the 560s from Sennheiser which was recently reviewed by Amir. Audio Technica AT-R70X might also be something to look out for - I know some people find them uncomfortable though - and as much as people put stock in measurements here, if a headphone is uncomfortable it ends up collecting dust more often than not.

I have both the Sundara and 560s - happy with both - if I had to recommend one of them it would be hard - the 560s are light, it's Sennheiser so even if they are plastic they will probably outlast most headphones, but from user experience there seems to be quite a bit unit to unit variation in quality control - but, they can be had from Amazon or Senn themselves or any number of reputable sellers in the UK and easily returned, even multiple times until you get a good quality pair (mine were fine out of the box and have been). The Sundara look good on a stand, they sound great (I think they might benefit more from EQ than the 560s, but all headphones benefit form EQ), sometimes I can wear them all day and not feel any discomfort but I would give the edge in comfort to the 560s (though some people don't like the clamp force - I don't have a wide head so not much of an issue - on the other hand some find Sundara pads to be small - I don't have big ears so that's also not an issue). The Sundara are more open, meaning they leak more sound (I mean, both are open-back but they just do), perhaps that and more energy on the top end give them a more "airy" feel (to borrow a poor audiophile term that means little to nothing objectively), I prefer them for live stuff and classical.

I haven't heard the HE400Se in the most recent iteration - just have no reason to buy it - but it seems to be really good - a cheaper alternative to the Sundara. It also seems to be the best bet for someone starting out or just looking for good headphones without breaking the bank. The cables are easy to replace without spending much as well.

Now, it would be good for you to know what you prefer when it comes to sound and how your preferences deviate from something like the Harman target etc. You could then make much of the judgment based on the measurements - e.g you might like more or less bass than the target, more or less treble etc. My preferences align with the Harman target well, so I'll like stuff that adheres to the target better - it might not be the case for you. Regardless of your preferences, my strong suggestion is to get the cleanest possible audio-chain and a pair of neutral sounding headphones with low distortion - then EQ to preference.

I just don't see any reason to buy any other open-backs in the range between this and the stuff higher up, e.g. Senn HD800s - and by then diminishing returns have come and gone. Perhaps a used HD800 with EQ if you can get a good price. Obviously, it depends on what you priorities are - if it's purely sound quality - you can get that under 300 GBP no problems. If it's to own something expensive, have particular look, materials, bragging rights, collecting... then obviously the range is open.

I've personally had the Focal Clears - sold them and never regretted it - consider all 3 up there better headphones - even if there's a whole crew of Focal lovers who might react to this.

OP
K

Kalupaw2

I would pass on the Ananda, if you look at the reviews here and general impressions - the "little" brothers are better - the Sundara and HE400SE from Hifiman. Then there's something like the 560s from Sennheiser which was recently reviewed by Amir. Audio Technica AT-R70X might also be something to look out for - I know some people find them uncomfortable though - and as much as people put stock in measurements here, if a headphone is uncomfortable it ends up collecting dust more often than not.

I have both the Sundara and 560s - happy with both - if I had to recommend one of them it would be hard - the 560s are light, it's Sennheiser so even if they are plastic they will probably outlast most headphones, but from user experience there seems to be quite a bit unit to unit variation in quality control - but, they can be had from Amazon or Senn themselves or any number of reputable sellers in the UK and easily returned, even multiple times until you get a good quality pair (mine were fine out of the box and have been). The Sundara look good on a stand, they sound great (I think they might benefit more from EQ than the 560s, but all headphones benefit form EQ), sometimes I can wear them all day and not feel any discomfort but I would give the edge in comfort to the 560s (though some people don't like the clamp force - I don't have a wide head so not much of an issue - on the other hand some find Sundara pads to be small - I don't have big ears so that's also not an issue). The Sundara are more open, meaning they leak more sound (I mean, both are open-back but they just do), perhaps that and more energy on the top end give them a more "airy" feel (to borrow a poor audiophile term that means little to nothing objectively), I prefer them for live stuff and classical.

I haven't heard the HE400Se in the most recent iteration - just have no reason to buy it - but it seems to be really good - a cheaper alternative to the Sundara. It also seems to be the best bet for someone starting out or just looking for good headphones without breaking the bank. The cables are easy to replace without spending much as well.

Now, it would be good for you to know what you prefer when it comes to sound and how your preferences deviate from something like the Harman target etc. You could then make much of the judgment based on the measurements - e.g you might like more or less bass than the target, more or less treble etc. My preferences align with the Harman target well, so I'll like stuff that adheres to the target better - it might not be the case for you. Regardless of your preferences, my strong suggestion is to get the cleanest possible audio-chain and a pair of neutral sounding headphones with low distortion - then EQ to preference.

I just don't see any reason to buy any other open-backs in the range between this and the stuff higher up, e.g. Senn HD800s - and by then diminishing returns have come and gone. Perhaps a used HD800 with EQ if you can get a good price. Obviously, it depends on what you priorities are - if it's purely sound quality - you can get that under 300 GBP no problems. If it's to own something expensive, have particular look, materials, bragging rights, collecting... then obviously the range is open.

I've personally had the Focal Clears - sold them and never regretted it - consider all 3 up there better headphones - even if there's a whole crew of Focal lovers who might react to this.
Thanks for the great reply.

I currently have the sennheiser 660s. I'm looking for another headphone that has a unique quality to separate the two headphones. I was thinking Ananda, as I've heard the soundstage is really big which would be completely different to the 660s.

Does the Sundara produce similar results?

aandres_gm

Thanks for the great reply.

I currently have the sennheiser 660s. I'm looking for another headphone that has a unique quality to separate the two headphones. I was thinking Ananda, as I've heard the soundstage is really big which would be completely different to the 660s.

Does the Sundara produce similar results?
Sundara is similar, but Ananda has a wider soundstage and is a lot more comfortable.

Tomcorn

Not sure if anyone will read this old post
I have bought a pair of Elex headphones from npaudio and the guy who runs the company is totally legit.
He even lent me a pair of modified headphones he had been working on to tryout.
I did have a driver go but he honoured his 6 month guarantee.
Yes the Elex drivers aren’t great for reliability but the sound is fabulous, well that is if you like the upfront Focal sound, which I personally do.
Actually tried a comparison with Elex and Clear MG. There wasn’t really much difference. The MGs were slightly more refined but paying £1300 for such a small difference seemed a bit crazy!
Also got put of by the apparent increase in QC issues.
Tomcorn

Liberte

I picked up Elex from npaudio and they're amazing headphones. I don't use them often as they don't really feel like daily drivers, for that I use the German tank DT-1990. The Elex is more for special occassions, that airy sound is truly something else. The only issue I noticed is a slight quiet pop from the left driver once every few hours, kinda like static. I hope I can get replacement pads for them someday, drivers if necessary etc as would never sell them.

Last edited:

Tomcorn

I use mine all the time.
Did the post after I read the scepticism about Steve at npaudio
Not dodgy in the slightest. I can see why people are a bit sceptical as the prices seem a bit too reasonable but he’s not out for a massive profit he seems to just like what he does. Not a common trait these days.
I said previously about trying the Clear MGs and the difference was really quite small in fact harmonics where far more smooth.
Don’t waste you money!
Really is so annoying about if you end up with a duff driver, but Ill take that anyday for the sound you get. Yum : )
T.

Liberte

I use mine all the time.
Did the post after I read the scepticism about Steve at npaudio
Not dodgy in the slightest. I can see why people are a bit sceptical as the prices seem a bit too reasonable but he’s not out for a massive profit he seems to just like what he does. Not a common trait these days.
I said previously about trying the Clear MGs and the difference was really quite small in fact harmonics where far more smooth.
Don’t waste you money!
Really is so annoying about if you end up with a duff driver, but Ill take that anyday for the sound you get. Yum : )
T.
I'd like your comment that you use them all the time to fill me with confidence on the Elex's reliability, but in the post just above you said you had a blown driver.

I saw a post about how sometimes the issue not being the driver but a piece of delicate soldered wire which breaks. There's even a repair video on YT.

Interesting comments about the Clear MG, after having the Shape 65 monitors and the Elex I am a Focal fan that's for sure and will always consider their gear but some of it seems too close in sound to justify upgrade prices. Judging by reviews the Clear range don't seem better than the Elex enough to justify it, same thing for the Clear vs Utopia. I would like a mid range closed back someday and the Elegia is top of the list, perhaps one of npaudio's custom stealth black.

Tomcorn

Elex reliability?
Well as one drivers gone then what can I say!!
I did buy them before I became aware of the issues.
Still don’t regret though
You could say its like a classic car. You can spend forever looking at or take it out and enjoy it : )
If they go they go they go ill get something else. (Another pair of Elex. Ha : )
Thats brilliant about the video. Fantastic. May be it wasnt the driver that went. Any they work fine now : )
what ever you dont get the elears. Yuck!
used to give me bad ear ache. just couldn’t wear them after a while. I called them ‘ill ears’!!
I think reliability issues have become more general with Focal. Actually put me of buying the Clear Mg’s, plus they weren’t worth the money anyway.
C.

Top Bottom