• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
***Thanks for the great reviews Amir!***

Amir's objective and subjective findings mirror my own experiences.

I bought Focal Clears and an HD800s. With no EQ I preferred the Clears, but wasn't fully satisfied with the sound. They needed more bass and seemed a little 'unclear' at times in the mid-range, and they made the clipping noise (which only got worse with EQ). The clipping happened only on deeper sounds and generally at volumes louder than I would listen with regularity, but I didn't like being so close to the limit of the driver. The sound also felt very 'closed in' around my head. Finally, there was a channel imbalance, creating noticeably off-centered vocals. So I returned them.

The HD800s is nearly unlistenable for me without EQ, but with EQ it's very enjoyable; comfortable, spacious, clear, with amazing bass response (no audible distortion or clipping--ever). The treble ringing can still be a slight problem but only noticed on rare occasions. The HD800s and Clears never sounded the same with EQ, and I still preferred the weightier sound of the Clears for vocals compared to the lighter sound of the 800s, otherwise the EQ'd 800s are a far more liveable headphone for me.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @amirm for another excellent review and set of measurements. It is somewhat shocking that an expensive set of cans has such serious shortcomings. In general, I find reviews of headphones and speakers to be far more interesting than electronics because there are so many more potential issues.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure about that typo. It makes zero sense to apply a high Q filter (eg 3.6) to a frequency as high as 19870Hz, because there is zero chance of that correlating to you wearing your headphones....it's unpredictable in specific frequency terms above 10kHz, but broad shelf or wide Q equalisations are sensible above 10kHz. I just inputted 19870Hz Q0.36 into Equaliser APO just now and it provides a broad cut with noticeable affects creeping in from 7kHz onwards. That makes more sense that Q3.6 at that frequency, but given the overall frequency response then Q0.36 doesn't make much sense either as a big cut over a broad range is not required there. To be honest, I would ignore that filter, this is the problem with the jaakkopasanen AutoEQ project, it places silly high Q filters in the +10kHz zone (last time I looked). I think in either case, viewed in either way, I think you should just ignore that filter.....instead I'd go as far to say as just use Oratory's presets (more intelligent application of EQ filters), or instead use his measurements and EQ yourself to the Harman Target using REW (but that that last point is a little complicated to start with & a little time consuming, but it's my de facto way of equalising headphones). Or of course, just use Amir's EQ in his review which is a little more general in it's approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 617

Rock Rabbit

It seems that headphones with high resistance at resonance are not useful for equalization, this hp goes to 250 ohms at 50-60 Hz and poor control of coil reaction.
And there must be a limit (lower than a LS) to distortion due to driver size, attainable suspension compliance and limited coil throw

Reactions: 617

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure about that typo. It makes zero sense to apply a high Q filter (eg 3.6) to a frequency as high as 19870Hz, because there is zero chance of that correlating to you wearing your headphones....it's unpredictable in specific frequency terms above 10kHz, but broad shelf or wide Q equalisations are sensible above 10kHz. I just inputted 19870Hz Q0.36 into Equaliser APO just now and it provides a broad cut with noticeable affects creeping in from 7kHz onwards. That makes more sense that Q3.6 at that frequency, but given the overall frequency response then Q0.36 doesn't make much sense either as a big cut over a broad range is not required there. To be honest, I would ignore that filter, this is the problem with the jaakkopasanen AutoEQ project, it places silly high Q filters in the +10kHz zone (last time I looked). I think in either case, viewed in either way, I think you should just ignore that filter.....instead I'd go as far to say as just use Oratory's presets (more intelligent application of EQ filters), or instead use his measurements and EQ yourself to the Harman Target using REW (but that that last point is a little complicated to start with & a little time consuming, but it's my de facto way of equalising headphones). Or of course, just use Amir's EQ in his review which is a little more general in it's approach.

3.6 q eq above 10k is absurd. Amir's eq suggestions seem fairly sane but you shouldn't need +/-5db eq on a $1500 transducer.

My opinion about headphones not being remotely hifi remains. I thought focal was one of the best measuring headphones, too! Better off buying some little KH80 monitors and sticking them on your head with bungee cords.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks for the excellent review.

I had an opportunity to do an extended comparison between the Clear and the Elex. I found the differences subtle, and not nearly obvious enough to justify the Clear’s price of double over the Elex. I never once heard either clip, even when EQ’d to the Harman curve and listening to electronic music with lots of LF energy.

I think perhaps I listen at lower volumes than many people (trying to preserve my hearing and minimize tinnitus), and definitely below the levels Amir is using to subjectively evaluate these headphones.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
3.6 q eq above 10k is absurd. Amir's eq suggestions seem fairly sane but you shouldn't need +/-5db eq on a $1500 transducer.

My opinion about headphones not being remotely hifi remains. I thought focal was one of the best measuring headphones, too! Better off buying some little KH80 monitors and sticking them on your head with bungee cords.
Probably lighter than the Clear too :)

Daaadou

Thanks for the great review.
I have a pair of the pro version on its way, got them for 995€. Disappointed by their performance as it shows in the review.
I based my choice on crinacle, diy audio heaven measurements and the tyll review from stereophile and I am wondering what happened between here and there.
I'll see for myself when I got them. I loved them when I tried them at an auditorium but it was a short session. Liked them over the HD800S.

tonybarrett

Well, this makes me happy that I sent them back after I succumbed to the hype a year or so back. Sounded closed in and bass shy for the price compared with the Verum 1, (which I bought before the racism allegations).

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Thanks for the great review.
I have a pair of the pro version on its way, got them for 995€. Disappointed by their performance as it shows in the review.
I based my choice on crinacle, diy audio heaven measurements and the tyll review from stereophile and I am wondering what happened between here and there.
I'll see for myself when I got them. I loved them when I tried them at an auditorium but it was a short session. Liked them over the HD800S.
Well I see it as most sites are based on a target of a measured flat speaker in a good room/anechoic chamber, and Harman Curve used here is bass boosted version. thus the deviation is apparent.

Artaois

This is almost unanimously one of the best headphones out there. I have two Focal headphones and I've never been able to get either to clip. You have to have an extreme bass boost or be listening at hearing damage levels. Not recommending these is a disservice to the headphone community and will cause people to miss one of the best headphones out there.

Artaois

I bought a bunch of under $99 headphones a few months back. I will start testing them once I get through the loaner ones that have been waiting. don't have that Phillips though. Does it have a good reputation?
Philips shp9500 is very popular $74 low budget headphone for gaming. You can add a boom mic for $30. I bought a pair for my brother. It's replacement the 9600 recently released but is $100.

genrl

I registered just to respond to this thread. I agree with Artaois, never had a clipping issue here either with the Clear. Your unit is defective, clearly.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First and second tracks sounded good and then BAM! The headphone jumped its gap resulting in nasty static/crackling sound. The kind of sound that stops your heart beating for a few seconds! Basically the driver is running out of travel and going outside of the magnetic field and then jumping back suddenly. I hear this routinely in cheap bookshelf speakers when driven by high amplification and deep bass. I could get this to happen even in instrumental/female vocal tracks!

Granted, we boosted the EQ but I have boosted EQ much more in other headphones and they can handle with ease. Not so with Focal Clear. Still, I turned off the EQ and turned up the volume and there it was again: nasty clicks. Granted the level was pretty loud now but not outside of what would be listenable.

Searching online, I see references to Clear "clipping." I suspect this is what they are talking about. If so, it is real flaw in this headphone.

I didn't mention it in my comparative review but I hit the same static/clicking/clipping at high volume using oratory1990 recommended parametric equalization. He even compensates for added boost with an overall reduction using a preamp "gain" of -4.9dB. I too thought I'd blown the driver. Luckily it went away when I turned the volume down and the headphones seem no worse for wear.

I never heard that same distortion in the other headphones when I drove them to ridiculously loud levels.

Martin

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Basically the driver is running out of travel and going outside of the magnetic field and then jumping back suddenly

At what SPL(A) do you listen? Your measurements suggest that the onset of clipping lies somewhere between 104 and 114dB in the sub bass. That's pretty loud.

Daaadou

Well I see it as most sites are based on a target of a measured flat speaker in a good room/anechoic chamber, and Harman Curve used here is bass boosted version. thus the deviation is apparent.
Thank you for having a look to the other websites' curves to give an opinion.

I have read some complaints about the clipping and the not so good FR. Two facts seemed related : the kind of amp that was used, the EQ in the bass range. Even in the stereophile review, you can read about that on the first page.
And defective units. I think there is a wide spread QC problem with these HPs… You have tons of comment about that on the internet and it seems not reproducible from one set of headphone to the other one so I think it is not a design flaw, looks like they are producing loads of defective drivers.

I was also looking at feedback concerning the brightness since I am a bit sensitive to it and it seemed the reviews mostly indicate these are not bright headphones.
Amir had a different opinion but in any case, I have a selection of tracks to test it thoroughly and will assess it for myself :D

Other topic, I don't know, is it normal to see such different between the left and the right driver?

Artaois

I didn't mention it in my comparative review but I hit the same static/clicking/clipping at high volume using oratory1990 recommended parametric equalization. He even compensates for added boost with an overall reduction using a preamp "gain" of -4.9dB. I too thought I'd blown the driver. Luckily it went away when I turned the volume down and the headphones seem no worse for wear.

I never heard that same distortion in the other headphones when I drove them to ridiculously loud levels.

Martin
You'd have to do some digging but Focal has stated that the clipping is an intentional self preservation design. Obviously if it happens at low volumes something is wrong but I've never been able to get the Elear or Elex to clip.

YSC

Major Contributor
Thank you for having a look to the other websites' curves to give an opinion.

Other topic, I don't know, is it normal to see such different between the left and the right driver?
I think it's pretty normal, considering the dummy ear transfer a minute difference in the headphone driver to the simulated ear will have big effect on those, it's a complicated thing, back when I was only using HPs and basically followed Tyll's blog it seems to me that his way of doing 5 measurements and averaging that makes a much better senses of driver consistency.

Top Bottom