• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

roskodan

Idk what all the fuss is about. My PEQ software can be turned on/off, preset/reset at will with a single click... why limit yourself ‍ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Btw, lately I found myself just boosting the bass on decent headphones...

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I'm not with the harman shaming, everyone is free to enjoy what they enjoy.

The rest of what you wrote is kind of silly. I don't know anyone who has listened to both the HD560S and Clears who would take the HD560S. I can EQ my pair of Clears to harman levels of bass without issue. Re: measurements, have you heard the Clears? I highly doubt you'd say the same if you had.

There's a reason why the Clears are considered some of the best headphones available at any price point by many reputable reviewers. Tyll from innerfidelity, DMS, Josh Valour, the entire headphones.com review team. When you read reviews from regular customers who have heard them alongside many competitors, they hold up very well and are often preferred. Very rarely does clipping even come up as an issue.
It's not silly at all, I'm talking about the measurements - if you instead want to rather believe what a few people say in terms of their subjective reviews then you're free to do so, but that is actually a dose more silly (to use your word). We're on ASR, not Head-fi. Anyway, I was instead rather more making a point & example of @Cylphio's ridiculous exclamations about his headphone & the Harman Curve rather than steadfastly saying the HD560s is a better headphone than the Focal Clear - but the measurements are better, and I'd be inclined to pay more attention to them vs subjective reviews.

Cylphio

I disagree. I would argue the exact opposite actually. I think you will agree that the person who is designing the headphone has no idea how his creation will interact with my head and ears and he has no idea what kind of music I intend to listen with them. What sounds nice and clear to him can, and does sound bright and piercing to me - there is no way for him to know that. A subdued bass that sounds great with Ravel can sound horrible with Metallica. A pair of headphones are meant to be flexible to be tuned to needs of its listener in my opinion.

Although it is a non-issue for me I do agree on the somewhat dull out of the box tuning of LCD series. Give MM-500 a try if you get a chance sometime. Those headphones solve a lot of the problems of Audeze headphones in my opinion.
Doesn't focal know how the clear will interact with people and genres? Ahahah! Such a statement from a member of a group who speaks of objectivity as a dogma And equalizes all the models to a single (wrong) target with expectations of excellence at various (unlistenable) volumes!!! Go figure if a listener must adequate the eq to every genre!!! It's not a listener job, it's a master engineer one!
And if you tend to find a hi-fi reference piercing or dull, you will have some hard times at live concerts, and every unequalizable listening session... i'm curious to know the origin of this behaviour, in which every listener must correct the work of both engineer and manufacturer...

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
a listener must adequate the eq to every genre!!! It's not a listener job, it's a master engineer one!
That's what one would expect but.... here enters the circle of confusion and voila... enter the old fashion tone controls from the past which allows listeners to A: tune sound to their taste and B: correct for incorrectly made/mastered/mixed recordings C: correct for listening SPL D: correct for seal issues in a quick manner.
EQ would be to address frequency deviations from ... well... a target of choice and tone control can be used for the above situations.

That said, the Clears ARE a masterpiece and the vast vast majority of customers who buy them do not experience clipping and absolutely love how they sound.

The original Clear is a fine sounding headphone. I would not call it a masterpiece, perhaps the Utopia headphone is more of a 'masterpiece'.
It sounds a bit too forward/open (1kHz peaking) and has a weird 'metallic' sound to it which some people like.
Is it the best headphone ? Of course not but it is a good one for normal to somewhat loud listening levels for sure with a great not 'Harman type' sound signature.
It seems to be what the designers were after at that time. Looking at the later models they appear to now prefer a little less clarity (a small dip around 3kHz)

My preference ain't Harman and that's O.K. too. One does not HAVE to like Harman, in fact there are many people not preferring the added bass.
Bass on the Clear sounds fine to me but is too light for bass-heads and Harman lovers. Don't blame them, blame human variance and taste.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't focal know how the clear will interact with people and genres? Ahahah! Such a statement from a member of a group who speaks of objectivity as a dogma And equalizes all the models to a single (wrong) target with expectations of excellence at various (unlistenable) volumes!!! Go figure if a listener must adequate the eq to every genre!!! It's not a listener job, it's a master engineer one!
And if you tend to find a hi-fi reference piercing or dull, you will have some hard times at live concerts, and every unequalizable listening session... i'm curious to know the origin of this behaviour, in which every listener must correct the work of both engineer and manufacturer...
When you are out in a concert, the sound that reaches your ear drum is filtered and shaped by your head and ears to a tonality which your brain is used to and can equalize for, and perceives as natural. When you are using a headphone however, you are no longer exposed to that tonality, certain frequencies get amplified, certain frequencies get attenuated so the FR of a headphone almost always varies between people.

You know what, does not matter. I thought maybe we can get past your trolling comments and engage in a proper conversation but it seems unlikely at this stage as you seem to be arguing with a perception you have rathar than what is acutally said, so I have lost interest. So yes, master pieces master engineers, Focal knows everything. Good luck.

Last edited:

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In this specific case the taste and texture of pizza do not equate to the frequency response of the majority of listeners. To have transducers that meet the target for the majority of listeners also means that the transducer is PEQable and that means it is more suitable for more peeps even if they do not want the Harmon curve.
The food analogy is problematic, but I think the closest we can get to making it work is to say that a headphone that closely tracks the Harman curve with low distortion is like a great buffet with a wide selection of food. A headphone that doesn't track the curve and/or has problematic resonances or distortion is like a buffet that only serves scallops. Fine if all you want to eat is scallops, I guess, but the overwhelming majority of people are going to be happier at the buffet that serves food most people like and gives them the ability to further select and refine from there.

Cylphio

When you are out in a concert, the sound that reaches your ear drum is filtered and shaped by your head and ears to a tonality which your brain is used to and can equalize for, and perceives as natural. When you are using a headphone however, you are no longer exposed to that tonality, certain frequencies get amplified, certain frequencies get attenuated so the FR of a headphone almost always varies between people.

You know what, does not matter. I thought maybe we can get past your trolling comments and engage in a proper conversation but it seems unlikely at this stage as you seem to be arguing with a perception you have rathar than what is acutally said, so I have lost interest. So yes, master pieces master engineers, Focal knows everything. Good luck.
Yes, I'll let you correct what your chest and belly do to your perception. It will be a long work with no directions, and it will be very arbitrary and subjective. At a certain point you can think you've done it perfectly, better than sean olive and focal themselves. You will correct every error just with your ears, thinking that measurement aren't everything but... you are on the wrong forum unless you have scientifically measured every variant in your perception.

Cylphio

The food analogy is problematic, but I think the closest we can get to making it work is to say that a headphone that closely tracks the Harman curve with low distortion is like a great buffet with a wide selection of food. A headphone that doesn't track the curve and/or has problematic resonances or distortion is like a buffet that only serves scallops. Fine if all you want to eat is scallops, I guess, but the overwhelming majority of people are going to be happier at the buffet that serves food most people like and gives them the ability to further select and refine from there.
A headphones that closely tracks the Harman curve is abysmal, like a macdonald. A headphone that does a better job is a more refined restaurant. A headphone that distort at 104 db trying to emulate that rude discotheque of the harman curve is a great chef cooking the menu of mcdonald, pathetic. Yo-yo ma playing david guetta.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A headphones that closely tracks the Harman curve is abysmal, like a macdonald. A headphone that does a better job is a more refined restaurant. A headphone that distort at 104 db trying to emulate that rude discotheque of the harman curve is a great chef cooking the menu of mcdonald, pathetic. Yo-yo ma playing david guetta.
You have contributed absolutely nothing of value in any of your posts. Ignored.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But isn't this just the classical high end stuff. 1,5k headphone with wonky FR and clear mechanical flaw is the bees knees and if you don't like it you are just "unrefined". And what do you know, many reviewers agree so that's settled, what are we even talking about anymore?

Just don't answer to these people.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Before you go any further.. across most of the important frequency range, above 300 Hz to 8 kHz, this headphone is actually close to the Harman range. For all I can tell, you are one of the, er, 100% that prefer Harman curve response in that range according to Olive:

Sean Olive, the Harman researcher leading much of the project, provided a further update in late 2019. Across a large and diverse body of listeners, three distinct sub-groups existed:

1. ”Harman Curve Lovers”: This group, which constitutes 64% of listeners, includes mostly a broad spectrum of people, although they’re generally under age 50. They prefer headphones tuned close to the Harman curve.
  2. “More Bass Is Better”: This next group, which makes up 15% of listeners, prefers headphones with 3 to 6dB more bass than Harman curve below 300Hz, and 1dB more output above 1kHz. This group is predominantly male and younger — the listeners JBL is targeting with its headphones.
  3. “Less Bass Is Better”: This group, 21% of listeners, prefers 2 to 3dB less bass than the Harman curve and 1dB more output above 1kHz. This group is disproportionately female and older than 50.”
(Thanks to @Newman who posted that elsewhere, I think in the big Measurements thread).

So, maybe you don't get the Big Mac, you're in group 3, lots of female company as a bonus!
As for the 104dB in the review, and the comments you made about brightness: well, the distortion graph was unequalised: and what it actually tells us is that this headphone will distort at loud volumes regardless of whether the main Harman curve is applied or not. The fact that Amir could not equalise to the taste of the other 79% needs to be said, because this forum and our host espouses equalisation: and 79% of the population may have a problem with this headphone. Indeed, turn it up enough and you will as well, at least on loud peaks in the bass or if you listen to a lot of organ music.

But, this headphone will be OK for group 3. It's slightly brighter than Harman (you appear to have read that the wrong way round) and has less bass. In fact, you would probably gain by applying Amir's Band 3 and Band 4 equalisation, but there's no need to change anything for your taste.

So actually, instead of cursing Harman's research, we can apply it and find that this headphone is perfectly acceptable to you: but that some small changes may help further.

Or not.

Stop worrying and go listen to some music!

Cylphio

“Less Bass Is Better”: This group, 21% of listeners, prefers 2 to 3dB less bass than the Harman curve and 1dB more output above 1kHz. This group is disproportionately female and older than 50.”
(Thanks to @Newman who posted that elsewhere, I think in the big Measurements thread).

So, maybe you don't get the Big Mac, you're in group 3, lots of female company as a bonus!
I prefer -10 db, for me it's a "no bass is better"
As for the 104dB in the review, and the comments you made about brightness: well, the distortion graph was unequalised: and what it actually tells us is that this headphone will distort at loud volumes regardless of whether the main Harman curve is applied or not.
Are you joking? 104 db? What is this, an attempt to suicide? A long exposure to 85 db damages hearing permanently!
The fact that Amir could not equalise to the taste of the other 79% needs to be said, because this forum and our host espouses equalisation: and 79% of the population may have a problem with this headphone. Indeed, turn it up enough and you will as well, at least on loud peaks in the bass or if you listen to a lot of organ music.
Yes, Amir does a good job making the measurements and giving the mass what they want, but it is an incomplete job, the more scientifically relevant diffuse field curve is required. Regarding me, not being one of the mass following a curve made from the majority (trap, edm listeners) is not a crime.
But, this headphone will be OK for group 3. It's slightly brighter than Harman (you appear to have read that the wrong way round) and has less bass. In fact, you would probably gain by applying Amir's Band 3 and Band 4 equalisation, but there's no need to change anything for your taste.
I will not equalize one of the best result in headphone market. Every deviation is wanted and create a more immersive experience for me. What you call wonkyness is perfect to let the voices survive to intense instrumental parts, what you call brightness is in the range of the correct amount of overtones, resulting too much only in wrong masters.
So actually, instead of cursing Harman's research, we can apply it and find that this headphone is perfectly acceptable to you: but that some small changes may help further.

Or not.

Stop worrying and go listen to some music!
I'm not cursing harman, but this thread. Even not equalized the Clear is the best open headphone in the market, with the Arya, under 1000 euro. But the chinese take the praises of the forum because even as something not intended for the masses some edm listeners buy them because they can, and they obviously destroy their wonderful tuning wit a savage eq to emulate a K371 with no issues. The arya is a luxurious suv that can be driven in the mud, if you want. The clear is a porsche carrera, wonderful in the normal condition. But the web wants a drift in the mud just because they can and then piss un the remining pieces of a wonderful thing wrongly used.
Audiophilia can use objectivity to protect people from scam. But judging a product by its beahviour under wrong conditions and only by measurement or criteria like "lobe shaking bass" is not right. Very Uninformative. And no, I don't ignore misinformation: a lot of people work very hard on sonething special and sone 15 years old boy cannot judge a product with harsh comments without even understand what it is

WickedInsignia

the more scientifically relevant diffuse field curve is required. Regarding me, not being one of the mass following a curve made from the majority (trap, edm listeners) is not a crime.
That’s not how the Harman Target was derived. It corresponds strongly with what we hear from targets that aim to reproduce flat-measuring speakers in a semi-reflective room, targets which were derived from a procedure no less rigorous than what was used to determine the DF target, and then preference from a study group of ~280 people was sprinkled on top.
That study group consisted of everyone from casual listeners to audio professionals.
The target isn’t entirely derived from preference. Harman pitted the most popular targets against each other (including DF), used the most successful as a starting base (which was NOT DF) and further tuned it based on a broad base of listener preferences by taking the error curve deviations into account.

Even if they didn’t tune it further based on preference, their research found that most people did not prefer the Diffuse Field target.
If you enjoy that target you, my friend, are an outlier. Your judgement doesn’t align with what most people will actually consider “the best sound,” and that’s fine. Just don’t swing your very unique preference around like a great big Johnson in everyone’s faces.

For more detail, you can find the research in summary HERE.

Cylphio

That’s not how the Harman Target was derived. It corresponds strongly with what we hear from targets that aim to reproduce flat-measuring speakers in a semi-reflective room, targets which were derived from a procedure no less rigorous than what was used to determine the DF target, and then preference from a study group of ~280 people was sprinkled on top.
That study group consisted of everyone from casual listeners to audio professionals.
The target isn’t entirely derived from preference. Harman pitted the most popular targets against each other (including DF), used the most successful as a starting base (which was NOT DF) and further tuned it based on a broad base of listener preferences by taking the error curve deviations into account.

Even if they didn’t tune it further based on preference, their research found that most people did not prefer the Diffuse Field target.
If you enjoy that target you, my friend, are an outlier. Your judgement doesn’t align with what most people will actually consider “the best sound,” and that’s fine. Just don’t swing your very unique preference around like a great big Johnson in everyone’s faces.

For more detail, you can find the research in summary HERE.
Thank for your specification. I am a psychologist, audio engineer, performer on stage and a passionate listener of every genre. I bless the choices of every guy who wants to align their taste to the masses, but simply don't describe every other perpective as flawed, because we all know that the mass wants pleasure without sacrifice and lettong decide the market drive us to an inevitable loss of quality in every aspect of our life. People need to be guided. We must be more trained that randomly picked people in a room to really understand masterpieces like unequalized Focal Clear OG or Hifiman Arya, or the perfection of stax 9000x or the fabulous Susvara, c'mon. In the beginning of my audio journey I also was in search of something capable of an harman like signature. It was a decade before that theories, but sennheiser really knew what hi fi was. The hd600 teached me a more refined way to listen to music. They means fidelity even today, but reading a review from amir that wants 10 db more bass from a 26 years old 38mm mylar driver is hilarious. There must be another reference in the forum, an harman combined like resolve at the famous shop, or crinacle's ief target can be better solution than... harman. C'mon, harman... used as a weapon to destroy the perfect tools for really trained ears?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Thank for your specification. I am a psychologist, audio engineer, performer on stage and a passionate listener of every genre. I bless the choices of every guy who wants to align their taste to the masses, but simply don't describe every other perpective as flawed, because we all know that the mass wants pleasure without sacrifice and lettong decide the market drive us to an inevitable loss of quality in every aspect of our life. People need to be guided. We must be more trained that randomly picked people in a room to really understand masterpieces like unequalized Focal Clear OG or Hifiman Arya, or the perfection of stax 9000x or the fabulous Susvara, c'mon. In the beginning of my audio journey I also was in search of something capable of an harman like signature. It was a decade before that theories, but sennheiser really knew what hi fi was. The hd600 teached me a more refined way to listen to music. They means fidelity even today, but reading a review from amir that wants 10 db more bass from a 26 years old 38mm mylar driver is hilarious. There must be another reference in the forum, an harman combined like resolve at the famous shop, or crinacle can be better solution than... harman. C'mon, harman... as a weapon to destroy the perfect tools for really trained ears?
You, sir, are an audiophile snob of the worst type. And not just an audiophile one, either, it seems. Preferring the sound of a different headphone or target is one thing, wanting to experience different headphones is another, both totally fine: but you aren't actually doing that.

You are here to set yourself above "the masses" to pander to your own ego. And your purpose in coming here is not to have fun and learn, or bring anything of substance, but to brag about your superior ears and crap on our host's carpet. I'm not normally someone to use words like this, but you've well and truly earned them with this last post.

If you are a "passionate listener of every genre", why do you select two genres and put them into a basket of deplorables? What is this "pleasure without sacrifice" business you go on about - why the hell should people have to go through "sacrifice" to get decent audio, whether from high end headphones or any other audio device?

I can respect your taste in headphones, but not this.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank for your specification. I am a psychologist, audio engineer, performer on stage and a passionate listener of every genre.
Nah, I don't believe it. I think you are a troll.

But your rants are somewhat amusing, I give you that. And there is small chance that you are actually serious. If that is the case then we have something special here.

Looking forward to your next post!

rsoffer

That's what one would expect but.... here enters the circle of confusion and voila... enter the old fashion tone controls from the past which allows listeners to A: tune sound to their taste and B: correct for incorrectly made/mastered/mixed recordings C: correct for listening SPL D: correct for seal issues in a quick manner.
EQ would be to address frequency deviations from ... well... a target of choice and tone control can be used for the above situations.

The original Clear is a fine sounding headphone. I would not call it a masterpiece, perhaps the Utopia headphone is more of a 'masterpiece'.
It sounds a bit too forward/open (1kHz peaking) and has a weird 'metallic' sound to it which some people like.
Is it the best headphone ? Of course not but it is a good one for normal to somewhat loud listening levels for sure with a great not 'Harman type' sound signature.
It seems to be what the designers were after at that time. Looking at the later models they appear to now prefer a little less clarity (a small dip around 3kHz)

My preference ain't Harman and that's O.K. too. One does not HAVE to like Harman, in fact there are many people not preferring the added bass.
Bass on the Clear sounds fine to me but is too light for bass-heads and Harman lovers. Don't blame them, blame human variance and taste.

No issues with anything you said except too light for bass heads and harman lovers.

I do really enjoy harman tuning and consider myself a bass head. I have other basshead pairs of headphones with more consumer friendly tuning for sure. My only point was I really enjoy the Focal clears as well, and I don't need to EQ them differently to enjoy them. I personally think they sound best with the tuning they came with. I don't think you're either a harman basshead or something else. I think you can enjoy different headphones and tunings at different times. I still listen to my cheap M50X at the coffee shop and bop my head on the regular.

I'm not aligning myself with the snobbery. I made the food analogy as a way to show that market research and appealing to the widest range of listeners is only one dimension of performance. There are others, and other ways to appreciate and experience gear.

rsoffer

Since we're talking food analogies, it reminds me of a restaurant here where I live in NYC called Minetta Tavern.

They're known specifically for their black label burger. It's a large patty of high quality prime rib served with only caramelized onions and a bit of sauce. In previous decades, the chef would come out and yell at you if you ordered it with cheese.

Nowadays, their stance has softened and you sometimes see people order it with whatever... but I still feel the best way to experience it at least once is the original way the chef envisioned it.

Top Bottom