• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JS Hoover

Two (vintage) flagship models not in the exorbitant pricing range of the more well-known types; but, certainly, top-flight in build and engineered performance.

Yamaha CT-7000
yamaha.jpg

Onkyo Integra T-9090
T9900.JPG

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From my experience, FWIW, the biggest improvement I ever made when listening to FM was an outdoor antenna.

I never owned more than a mid-range tuner, so I don't know if spending more than average dollars would be beneficial.

I recall a review of an Accuphase tuner (David Rich and Richard Modafferi reviewed it)--the tuner was the best of a very exclusive bunch, however Modafferi found it badly misaligned from the factory. I don't know how the average consumer could know that, or would know how to fix the problem even if they suspected it?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
From my experience, FWIW, the biggest improvement I ever made when listening to FM was an outdoor antenna.
Indeed it is shocking the first time one connects a TV antenna to a tuner. Stronger signals make a massive difference to FM reception.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I’d go with a vintage tuner. I doubt if anyone currently makes anything as good as the best vintage tuners, but if they do it’ll cost you a lot more.

Yamaha’s TX-950 should be high on your list. It was Yamaha’s last high-end tuner and for some reason gets no respect, even though it specs better than the vaunted Onkyo T-9090 II. They practically give them away on ebay – a mint offering recently sold for a mere $55.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
How about the FM tuner built-in to most cell phones? Any good? Comments?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha’s TX-950 should be high on your list. It was Yamaha’s last high-end tuner and for some reason gets no respect, even though it specs better than the vaunted Onkyo T-9090 II.
In the tuner review I referenced above, Modafferi and Rich both had good things to say about the TX-950. I bought one based on their review (to match the Yamaha integrated amplifier Rich reviewed). Although I never used it much, after a few years one of the capacitors leaked black gunk all over the circuit board. Who knows if it was just my lucky day, or if there were some component problems with that model? I never investigated or attempted to fix it, because FM wasn't really something I was interested in.

Don't most FM stations stream over the Internet? That would be something I'd be looking in to, if it was important to me.

Of all the old analog sources from my hi-fi years, I'd rate FM right up there with open reel as being totally useless. On the other hand, at least an FM tuner won't cost you an arm and a leg to use and keep going, like open reel. Personally, I always thought the '70s era Pioneer tuners (9100, 9500, etc) looked very nice in an equipment cabinet. But there were a lot of nice looking FM tuners from that era.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So I am looking to purchase a standalone tuner

I wanted a tuner, so ended up with HDRadio tuner - sends digits to the common DAC. Paid $50 for mine. Somebody bought a truckload at a Radio shack liquidation and sold them off on Amazon. It has a dim display, and the tuning knob doesn't work well, but the digits seem correct. Whoa, $300 now - https://www.amazon.com/AUVIO-Auvio-HD-Radio-Tuner/dp/B004OHTNZI

That doesn't satisfy the desire for an analog tuner, or whatever, but it works for me.

Besides, I have an old Pioneer SX-780 Receiver in another room if I want to twiddle the dial.

You don't list your location. There aren't many to choose from in the US. Here's one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=san...W2IzQIHXkKAZsQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=1115&bih=944

And the prior model:

https://www.google.com/search?q=san...UNT6wKHVLWA0MQ_AUoBHoECAwQBg&biw=1115&bih=944

Ir you could go upscale, and get a "pro" device...

https://daleproaudio.com/products/daysequerra-m4-2si-am-fm-hd-radio-broadcast-receiver

Last edited:

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A Sony XDR-F1HD FM/AM tuner if you can find one used someplace.
I have one of these completely rebuilt with a fan added to add life to the new components that had gotten old and brittle. I have no need for it, it just sits in the box my tuner expert guy sent it back to me in. $150.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Plenty of awesome high performance tuners out there.

The Pioneer F-90 and F-91 are incredibly good as are the top Yamahas mentioned (TX-900 also gets a mention as it is a great tuner too.) if you can lay your hands on a Sony STS-333esxII/STS-730es, you will get the best Sony ever produced.

F-90
1575253739546.png

F-91
1575253787413.png

STS-333esxII
1575253879986.png

If FM is your only interest, a vintage Aiwa AT-9700 is an insanely good tuner.
1575253968279.png

Bigger and heavier than most integrated amplifiers...
1575254064016.png

The Akai AT-93 Reference Master is a lovely tuner
1575254130199.png

shuri

Ebay has a good selection, I got a mint Technics one for 40€. Doubles as a monitor stand.

1516106542_0694.jpg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Pioneer F-90 and F-91 are incredibly good

I've mentioned this before, but if you go to yoo-toob and search for Pioneer F-28 you can watch a series of six videos on the repair of that tuner. The good news is that it is one of the best tuners you can buy (if you can find one). The bad news is that they are impossible to repair (almost), and I suspect that by now they all need some kind of service. Very funny (and interesting) videos. I give the tech props for seeing the job through. It really makes you wonder about the minds of the men who designed it.

Below is part six, that summarizes the work. It makes you understand what you are getting in to if you go with some of the more esoteric gear from past ages. If you know how to repair things, or have someone you can trust with the job, fine. If not? You need to be looking elsewhere, probably.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have an old Yamaha T-2 around that did pretty well at the time. IIRC it was not a top-tier but did well, and I was able to get it cheap from the store I worked. Couldn't afford the T-1 (college kid at the time).

Top Bottom