• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Flashlights, what ya got?

ta240

Major Contributor
I've got one I'm pretty happy with, Streamlight 88081 ProTac HL 5-X, but I'm curious what others use and like.

So many have super high output levels for 30 seconds to a few minutes and I wanted one that after 45 minutes would still have a decent output for evening walks (I like to have it on high all the time). They tend to build them to have numbers that will impress and where they can take a quick picture of it lighting up everything before it cuts to a quarter power for the rest of its run time.

And I wanted one that had a good reach but still had a wide(ish) spill to light the area up close. I can shine it in the distance and still clearly see the sidewalk and areas to the side.

It doesn't hurt that this one could also double a bit as a club. So many are geared towards fitting in a pocket and I prefer output and cooling over size for walks.

I spent a fair amount of time at sites like 1lumen.com that were helpful but a lot of those sites tend to stick to just a few brands. I really like their lumen over time ratings and candela measurements.

What do you guys like?

D

Deleted member 48726

Often the torches are way to bright to use on anything you are going to take a picture of. That's half of my use cases. I don't want a digital button because there is always a half second delay on those.

I want physical switch and I want that switch to be cycling through two or three brightness settings. I want a non-proprietary way to charge it if it has a lithium battery. It should be sized for a tool pocket, side pocket. Not too small, not too large, with a lanyard to fetch it.

Latest torch I was happy with was the LEDlenser P7R and P7

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a couple from Sofirn I like. One is somewhat large and has a beam for max throw. The other is a handier size and has good throw with some spill that is useful. Both have several power levels easy to access. They keep the last setting when turned off and back on.

They use batteries you can pull out and recharge or will slowly recharge over USB.

This is the smaller one I keep in my car. Probably good for your use walking. I wouldn't use it on high all the time. It is just too bright. Medium is said to be good for 5.5 hrs and while I have not tested it, it will go a couple hours in this mode. Plenty for night time walking or hiking. It can get hot in the two highest modes and will draw down the brightness in turbo mode in a few minutes.

The other I have they apparently don't make now. It would definitely not be for use full bright as it would be dangerously bright to any drivers you encounter.

I have a charger that will quickly charge multiple batteries including most of those such lights use. Or rechargeable AA, or AAAs and such. There are a number of similar chargers available.

I've lurked on 1lumen and also on candlepower forums for info about such lights. www.budgetlightforum.com may have some of the best real tests of lights by some of the members there.

Here is a review of the larger light I have.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Maglight 3-cell one for me. Plenty bright and I like the ability to focus the beam. Hopefully, I'd never need to do this, but a home intruder threatened me, the light makes a really good club.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i've seriously misread the title, i admit :facepalm:

my old 3 (D) cell is still going strong, 20+ years in, when i find the time i'll have to find a LED bulb for it (and preferably a chargeable battery pack also), tho

nerdstrike

I have a very easy going Fenix HL26R head torch. It serves well during winter dog walks, and recharges with a now old-sounding usb micro b cable. IP65, acceptable brightness and endurance for on foot and an alternative low power LED mode.

Very happy with it.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i hesitate to criticise EDC champions as I too have indulged in fancy lamps and blades and the like

BUT with everyone having a smartphone i guess its less important

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use headlights exclusively. Newest ones are by Black Diamond.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Some Wuben about the size of a Maglite Solitaire, with a Li-Ion battery the size of a AAA. If you unscrew the LED end past the o-ring you expose the USB charging port. It's survived my keyring for several years now.
Beyond that I have a couple of bike lights that can double up as head lights. Inexpensive and unbranded, but now several years old. The 10W one appears to have a genuine Cree LED.

Top Bottom