• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First time with REW measurements

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Comments are definitely a bug but John is dealing with a death in the family so I would leave him alone for a bit.
I see, I didn't know that and was wondering why he's not around lately...

OCA

Forum Donor
After comparing various calibrations, I came back to my original one as the most natural.
If you're OK with keeping DEQ off and listen at 75dB, share your original Audyssey measured ady file and I can send you a calibrated ady and you can compare ;)

Last edited:
OP
Y

yelloguy

If you're OK with keeping DEQ off and listen at 75dB, share your original Audyssey measured ady file and I can send you a calibrated ady and you can comapre ;)
You want the original Audyssey ady file that I like, and a new set of measurements with the "perfect speakers" ady and dynamic EQ = ON at 75dB? I can do that!

The last time I did this I was using L for acoustic reference. It worked for 4 speakers but for the L it was telling me that it could not hear the reference tone. After the error message, it gave me the measurement for L anyway. I tried it 3 times and at the end I decided to use the measurement anyway (despite the error).

A few days later I found that measuring at 80dB gets rid of the error message. When I go back to do this measurement, I will have to make a choice - either do all the measurements at 80dB (I listen to music around 75dB) or I can ignore the error from the L speaker while doing the measurements at 75dB. What do you want me to choose?

Also, for the LFE, do you like 20-250Hz or 20-20KHz?

Thanks so much in advance!

OCA

Forum Donor
I only need the ady file produced by automated MultEQ Editor measurement

OCA

Forum Donor
Try the attached ady. There's something odd about your measurements, group delay cuts off at 5kHz for all speakers hence I am not sure if the subwoofer distance was correctly aligned. Also sub volume might need -10dB adjustment.

Attachments

• Calibrated.zip
    35.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

pjn

Hi,

I did a very quick measure with a umik-1 last night. This is the first time I've done this sort of a thing so I am sure I am missing something. I need to do more reading and learning. But I do have some quick questions on what I am seeing (attached).

I did a SPL calibration at 75dB so I am assuming that the high output I am seeing before 150hz or so is undesirable? Since after 150 the output falls down to about 75dB. For clarification the two measurements are for B&W 683 floorstanding fronts with an SVS PB 1000 sub. Audyssey is set to L/R Bypass and sub has been boosted to +1.5 (from Audyssey recommended -6). The speaker crossover was set to 40hz. For the second line, I changed the xo to 80 and knocked down the sub to 0.

I am assuming the bass from the speakers is adding to the sub output and giving me these peaks and dips.

I like bass heavy music and I enjoy it with these settings but my room gets some resonance issues in that my shelves vibrate. I can clear out my shelves, heh, or I can bring down the dB on those lower frequencies.

Thanks
That looks pretty good - the key, of course, is how does it sound? There does seem to be a room mode at about 60Hz, - these are pretty intractable and can be dealt with somewhat. If you use Roon, you can actually apply specific correction to the left and right channels. Best to be subtle (+/- 3-4 db max), rather than apply "what seems right". And then re-check with REW. You can record a sweep in REW and then upload that to your Roon library. It's a long but fun process!

OP
Y

yelloguy

Try the attached ady. There's something odd about your measurements, group delay cuts off at 5kHz for all speakers hence I am not sure if the subwoofer distance was correctly aligned. Also sub volume might need -10dB adjustment.
Magic! It loaded up without any problems and sounded pretty good! I did a quick (ears only) comparison with my favorite calibration and it sounds better in the bass department while not impacting the rest of the frequencies - even in Reference mode. With the default Audyssey calibration, I was finding that the Ref mode was messing up my front speakers' default response too much so I was listening to them in LR Bypass mode. With this new calibration, I can listen in Reference mode without any issues and the bass is tighter as well. I played music at +2 for the sub - for movies I usually reduce the sub to -6 or -7 (this allows me to increase the master volume to reference levels for dialog clarity and gives me a little punch in loud crashes and bullet scenes)

This is a great calibration! I can use it at Ref for both music and movies. I will do some REW measurements in the evening with this calibration to see what I am listening to.

Thank you so very much!!

That looks pretty good - the key, of course, is how does it sound? There does seem to be a room mode at about 60Hz, - these are pretty intractable and can be dealt with somewhat.
It sounds good as well. I listen to music and it gives me very good imaging. To the point that I prefer Stereo mode over (Apple) Dolby Atmos. I was playing an album last night and it wasn't clicking so I checked, and Apple TV had picked up the Dolby Atmos version. I turned DA off to get the regular Stereo version and the sound stage improved dramatically. It could be because of the weaker 685 bookshelf speakers in the back or the (Marantz) AVR performing poorer when driving all 5 channels. But this set up sounds absolutely stunning in 2.1 channel stereo. The room *lights up* with music!

The only issue I have is that the bass causes some rattle. I tried running REW frequency generator at 75dB. I started with 80Hz and went lower till 20Hz. I got shelves rattling at 72Hz. I could walk up to them and lock them in place. Then I got a picture frame rattling at 45 or so and another one at 30. I fixed one and removed the other. I still get an occasional vibration here and there, but overall it is pretty good!

Thanks for sharing the tip on Roon. I will look into it.

Reactions: OCA
Top Bottom