• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO K7 or Topping DX3 Pro+

JediMa

This is my month birthday and I've some cash to invest IF it's the case ONLY. Since I started to trust and follow your excellent tips and advices I've been extremely happy with what I purchased.
My setup is: JDS Atom + Topping D50s to listen music from my computer. I'm considering 2 options that look potentially good. FiiO K7 and Topping DX3 PRo+ should I get one of them and in case which one is the best?

Last edited:

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your current setup is just fine. You probably won't get any improvement or even difference in sound quality by upgrading to ANY amp/dac.

DX3 Pro+ has bluetooth and remote though. If you really need those then why not, otherwise save your money.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Your current setup is just fine. You probably won't get any improvement or even difference in sound quality by upgrading to ANY amp/dac.

DX3 Pro+ has bluetooth and remote though. If you really need those then why not, otherwise save your money.
Well that's something that has my Topping D50s so it's a clear NO go option to change anything . Thanks a lot

jae

Major Contributor
I agree that there would be zero benefit to upgrading to these choices (no fidelity or quality improvement), unless you really wanted to have a one chassis/all-in-one device to replace both. If you want to buy something audio related, I would say maybe upgrade headphones if possible or save for active speakers, or maybe a nice microphone for chatting on the computer if that is something you do regularly?

OP
JediMa

JediMa

I agree that there would be zero benefit to upgrading to these choices (no fidelity or quality improvement), unless you really wanted to have a one chassis/all-in-one device to replace both. If you want to buy something audio related, I would say maybe upgrade headphones if possible or save for active speakers, or maybe a nice microphone for chatting on the computer if that is something you do regularly?
So out from my ignorance, K7 wouldn't add anything to my setup tech and features wise?

SiW

So out from my ignorance, K7 wouldn't add anything to my setup tech and features wise?
It has balanced output if you have balanced headphones and phono line in if your need it.

I have one and it’s nice. Like the single chassis all in one package and powers my Drop Planars with balanced cable fine.

A remote would make it perfect IMO.

DTTOM37

As owner of the ATOM, The K7 and the Schiit Magni Heretic, I understand that you may tend to upgrade the ATOM.
Now, that you are having a capable DAC you are imho not in need for the K7, which is a well designe AIO solution without BT, though you may discuss with your inner self an upgrade of your headphone amp, and the Schiit Magni Heretic seems to my ears an upgrade to the ATOM, from build quality and performance. Amir had reviewed it here.
Compared to F7, I found it a bit lesser with dynamic cans and a bit better with planars (He400i). YMMV.

For the K7:
I think it is a pretty good AIO solution if you're looking for a symmetric DAC integrated HP amp and you've no problem to accept the inherited shortcomings:
- no wireless or wired network
- no balanced in- or outputs apart from the 4.4 pentaconn for headphones
- no remote
- no 2nd line output for subwoofer(s)

As a pure desktop device driving all kinds of headphones and perhaps active speaker quite hard to beat at that pricepoint.

Last edited:

Lambo1985

I have both K7 & DX3 pro+. I have them for AIO options. Sound quality wise, I feel the K7 has the slight edge. It's a little more full sounding with a meatier low-end. They are both great though, and the weighing factors for you should be in the functionality you are looking for (and if you need an AIO). If you are looking to upgrade your current setup, as advised, you'd be better off saving your money and trying a new higher end pair of headphones. You'd have to spend a lot more than $500 to upgrade from the Edition XS.

Top Bottom