• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Feedback to first audio setup - Q Acoustics M20

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just measured my room again and indeed 8" might be too big, even if the Linton look great I can't place them on my TV lowboard.
5" of any size should fit but I see the issues based on the listening distance.

Would KEF Q350 for example be "good enough" and similar to / better than LS50 Meta?
Here are a few other, good bookshelves within your budget, pictured next to the Linton:

They're about as wide and deep as the Linton though. Just not as tall. Is height the issue? If so, how tall can the speakers be? Or is it the width?

OP
A

Amplifly

Thank you, the DBR62 is looking really good and available for 280€ a pair!
Sounds like a bargain, are they that good or would paying twice or triple as much be worth it?

OP
A

Amplifly

How exactly a different modell? Thought DBR62 = elac Debut Reference B6.2

OP
A

Amplifly

From the screenshot of my shop they look like DBR62.
So if I receive them with the looks of the first link I guess they are indeed DBR62?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yeah the product pics don't match the item description.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Siting speakers - PLEASE don't just plonk them on a wide TV shelf (the 'lowboard' you refer to?). The shelf will resonate in time with the bass and if the speakers are set back on said shelf, reflections will smear the balance and muddy-up the tone no end (I speak from much experience here). At the very least, get some foam style isolators or if budget allows, some proper desktop stands for the speakers (doesn't matter which speakers you choose, they'll all be affected the same).

P.S. A pal of mine uses the Q Acoustics M20's in his smallish UK living room. They're on proper speaker stands, not toed in from memory (so the tweeters aren't beaming directly into his ears) and he loves them to bits!

OP
A

Amplifly

Well I was able to choose them in white, B6.2 don't seem available in white.
I will see what happens and give an update. Thanks for the hint!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How exactly a different modell? Thought DBR62 = elac Debut Reference B6.2
Pictures are from DBR62 but proceed with coshon and if you get something like this:
Return it. DBR62's are fine and want more powerful amplifier but let's say 100~130 W into 8 Ohms will do.

steve-z

I've got 2 pairs of QA M20's, one pair in my living room and the other pair in the bedroom, the living room pair are on the dedicated QA 3000 stands, these replaced a much more expensive separates setup of QA Concept 40 floor standers driven by a Rega Brio amp (£1600). I bought the living room pair after having the bedroom pair for several months and having been mighty impressed with their performance. The living room acoustics suit them better than the bedroom so I was even more impressed.
The living room pair have the bass EQ set for free space, the bedroom pair have the EQ set at the near wall setting.
Both setups are fed by Bluesound Node 2i's into the analogue inputs on the M20s and the living room pair is also used for TV sound duties via the optical input.
Had the bedroom pair for almost 2 years and the living room pair for just over 18 months and I'm delighted with them. ACBEA340-58AE-45AB-B63F-A1211EF0AF64-compressed.jpeg

Ali_One

Hi - does anyone with Q Acoustics M20 find them a bit harsh? I just bought a pair and while the sound quality is great - lots of detail and solid bass - the trebles give me ear ache on tunes that don't when played through another system (Denon PMA60 and 90s era Technics speakers). After about 30 minutes with the M20s I get an ache in my inner ears and need to stop, but not with the other set up, or with Sony bluetooth headphones (granted they are bluetooth). The headphones sound harsh when wired - super harsh treble sounds and limited bass, but they are not really designed for wired listening.

I use the WiiM Pro Plus to stream music from Tidal through them. With the optical connection it is worse. The RCA connection is a bit better. If I use the WiiM EQ to turn the treble down it is also improved, but I feel like I have lost something from the sound.

I moved them to a larger room - open plan living room / kitchen area and it is better. The room I want to use them in is a small/medium sized one to have for listening to tunes and reading, but it's a work in progress so the set up is not final enough in there to post a layout / photo.

Any thoughts?

steve-z

Hi - does anyone with Q Acoustics M20 find them a bit harsh? I just bought a pair and while the sound quality is great - lots of detail and solid bass - the trebles give me ear ache on tunes that don't when played through another system (Denon PMA60 and 90s era Technics speakers). After about 30 minutes with the M20s I get an ache in my inner ears and need to stop, but not with the other set up, or with Sony bluetooth headphones (granted they are bluetooth). The headphones sound harsh when wired - super harsh treble sounds and limited bass, but they are not really designed for wired listening.

I use the WiiM Pro Plus to stream music from Tidal through them. With the optical connection it is worse. The RCA connection is a bit better. If I use the WiiM EQ to turn the treble down it is also improved, but I feel like I have lost something from the sound.

I moved them to a larger room - open plan living room / kitchen area and it is better. The room I want to use them in is a small/medium sized one to have for listening to tunes and reading, but it's a work in progress so the set up is not final enough in there to post a layout / photo.

Any thoughts?
As you may have read in my earlier post I have 2 pairs of M20s which I've used for close on 2 years, I've never noticed any harshness or treble brightness, in fact I think there's a bit of a rolloff at the top end, personally I'd like a little more in that area. I wonder what sort of volume level you're using them at ? I noticed from a couple of reviews that quote a bit of hardness coming in at high levels, circa 90dB, if you like the wick up in a larger room that could be the problem. I don't think they're at home at high volumes in a large room being a small speaker with only 32wpc of power.
I listen at 2.5 metres away and rarely see peaks beyond 75dB at my listening position which I find more than adequate. Could also be a source problem, I have Bluesound Node 2i streamers running Amazon Music HD, also TV sound via optical input into the M20s and my own digital music library on Mac computers via optical into the Node 2i, the sound quality via all the inputs is exemplary, I don't use Bluetooth because of the sound quality compromises. If you've hooked the speakers up with the supplied very thin cable bin it and get something better, I use Audioquest X2 to good effect.

Ali_One

Hi, thanks Steve-Z. I've been listening at different volumes, quiet in their intended small room - come to think of it , they are worse at higher volumes, I tried them in a larger room to see if there was a difference. Even at quieter volumes I notice the harshness - I think we all have different listening preferences. Elsewhere a user suggested turning the higher frequencies down on the EQ and toeing out which has been a help. I'm using WiiM Pro Plus streamer which doesn't have a bad effect on my other hifi system. I think the sound quality overall is very good and once the treble is turned out they sound (to me anyway) less harsh.

Thanks for the cable rec', I will look into that too. That won't affect the treble issue though - or will it?

Cheers

steve-z

Hi, thanks Steve-Z. I've been listening at different volumes, quiet in their intended small room - come to think of it , they are worse at higher volumes, I tried them in a larger room to see if there was a difference. Even at quieter volumes I notice the harshness - I think we all have different listening preferences. Elsewhere a user suggested turning the higher frequencies down on the EQ and toeing out which has been a help. I'm using WiiM Pro Plus streamer which doesn't have a bad effect on my other hifi system. I think the sound quality overall is very good and once the treble is turned out they sound (to me anyway) less harsh.

Thanks for the cable rec', I will look into that too. That won't affect the treble issue though - or will it?

Cheers
If you check out the Youtube review by A British Audiophile he mentioned the improvement gained by swapping out the connecting cable, I believe he said it made improvements in both ends of the frequency range, might sort your harshness issue out , if you've not seen the review, give it a look, and check out his Best of 2022 review, he named the M20 his product of the year.

Ali_One

I watched the video - the guy in the video says the cable improves bass and expands / opens up the treble - I'm not sure what that means exactly re treble, but if it is going to emphasise the treble frequencies, it may be the opposite of what I need. Thanks for the help though.

steve-z

I watched the video - the guy in the video says the cable improves bass and expands / opens up the treble - I'm not sure what that means exactly re treble, but if it is going to emphasise the treble frequencies, it may be the opposite of what I need. Thanks for the help though.
Did you notice he also said that the top end was smooth and anyone wanting a brighter sound the M20s probably wouldn't suit them.

Top Bottom