• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

fatigue and clipping on Sennheiser hd600

trenino

So I finally purchased a new pair of hd600. They are connected trough a meridian explorer (1st version) to my macbook playing Tidal Masters . They have only been used for 6 hours since purchase.

I am experiencing fatigue quite soon, within 1 hour. Something I never had with my trusted Sennheiser hd 25. On top of that on several songs (live or studio recordings) I can sometimes hear clipping of the sound. The volume level is midway, but I am wondering if this is an amp problem (both the fatique and the clipping).

Any ideas?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I finally purchased a new pair of hd600. They are connected trough a meridian explorer (1st version) to my macbook playing Tidal Masters . They have only been used for 6 hours since purchase.

I am experiencing fatigue quite soon, within 1 hour. Something I never had with my trusted Sennheiser hd 25. On top of that on several songs (live or studio recordings) I can sometimes hear clipping of the sound. The volume level is midway, but I am wondering if this is an amp problem (both the fatique and the clipping).

Any ideas?
Are you using EQ/PEQ with your PC? if not then use this SoundSource PEQ and set the frequency response to what you like and smooth out that stuff. It comes with a ~20 minute trial. Every time you open the program the timer starts and then stops after 20 minutes so you need to close it and then reopen it. If you like it then you have to buy it.

OP
T

trenino

i don't use EQ. Ok, this can help with the taste but will it improve fatique and clipping?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can sometimes hear clipping of the sound. The volume level is midway, but I am wondering if this is an amp problem (both the fatique and the clipping).
The amp may be clipping. The USB DAC/amps are limited on power due to the 5VDC of the USB standard. You might need a better DAC/amp or buy a DAC and a separate amp.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i don't use EQ. Ok, this can help with the taste but will it improve fatique and clipping?
It might help with both if you cut back the bass where it is clipping and then tweak the rest of the spectrum to smooth things out and stop that aggravating stuff.

OP
T

trenino

thanks will try. although clipping was mainly on the highs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz... Thinking you might have a levels clipping issue. Let's do that PEQ first.

OP
T

trenino

Is there a difference where I apply the equalizer? On the app or on the output?
Now I only need to remember which tracks caused the clipping!

edit: also does it matter if I have the level maxed on the tidal app and midway on the system output? Is there a better way to do it?

OP
T

trenino

The SoundSource PEQ that i just installed, gives me the option to apply the equaliser either on the app level or on the system audio level. I presume there is no difference, but just to be sure. I have attached a screengrab

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 03.57.44.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 03.57.44.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 50

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The SoundSource PEQ that i just installed, gives me the option to apply the equaliser either on the app level or on the system audio level. I presume there is no difference, but just to be sure. I have attached a screengrab
Use system wide so that all audio sources have the EQ applied. A system wide EQ

manticore

It's easy to use EQ to solve problems, but it only hides the problem. One should find the source of thr problem and correct the issue.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's easy to use EQ to solve problems, but it only hides the problem. One should find the source of thr problem and correct the issue.
That's the idea. I think he might have a levels issue where it is clipping due to levels being too high. The EQ may have a levels adjustment like Peace EQ for Windows has. That would immediately show if it improved the sound upon adjusting it. It's a mystery at this point.

Oso Polar

The amp may be clipping. The USB DAC/amps are limited on power due to the 5VDC of the USB standard. You might need a better DAC/amp or buy a DAC and a separate amp.
There is a good chance MacBook has enough power to drive HD600 directly from headphone jack without any clipping, I'd suggest to try this. If there are no issues playing out of headphone jack then most probably there is some issue with your Meridian Explorer (e.g. it doesn't have enough power).

solderdude

Grand Contributor

The 2.1V output means you can reach peaks of max 111dB. Up to that level there is no audible distortion.
Should be good enough for comfortable loud listening levels but not for impressively loud levels.
Clipping could occur at loud levels or be in the recording and now finally revealed.
When it is the amplifier the distortion should increase a lot when pushing above that level. When it doesn't but gets louder overall then it is the recording or software.

When you have a spanking new HD600 the clamping force can be high. This too can cause discomfort (similar to listening fatigue)

Last edited:

Leporello

Fatigue is your reaction to sound you find unpleasant, not a property of headphones themselves. If you are able to eq the headphones more to your taste the sound will be less fatiguing.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
When eq-ing blind absolutely, but using eq based on science and measurement data is applied Room acoustic analysis engineering. EQ has evolved from years past. Some room modes can not be fully fixed without eq. Standing waves and null cancellation are just one example of where EQ is an essential tool. This includes DSP to modify timing and phase alignment. All rooms can be improved upon using EQ. Kindly suggest that you read up about how to take room acoustic measurements and how to use Eq to flatten the Frequency Response curve. It’s a deep hole but the learning opportunities are immense. ;)

Mal

Maybe compare them with Senn HD650? They have the reputation of being warmer than 600, so may be less fatiguing for you. I have these, and they are less fatiguing then the cheapers Senns I moved from.

Top Bottom