• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

External USB DAC to amp vs Toslink to amp's internal DAC

Penelinfi

Say I get a Topping d10B - would it be better to use its balanced outputs going into unbalanced analogue input on amplifier receiver
or
Toslink output into the digital input on said amplifier, which supposedly has 120dB range 24bit/96kHz Burr-brown DACs inside?
I'm leaning towards using optical which will also stop noise from the PC feeding into amplifiers. The amplifier runs about 96dB signal to noise from according to specs.

Situation : I would like a control unit at the PC, which has an optical output, balanced output, (and also a nice headphone amp, can be separate.)
The output from the control unit will need to travel 5 metres to the power amplifier receiver.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
5-10 meters is the max recommended distance for toslink plastic fiber cables, but more expensive glass cables can be purchased if you're experiencing problems.

Balanced analog out -> unbalanced analog in is the same as unbalanced out -> unbalanced in.
The circuitry that removes any noise picked up by the cables is only present in balanced inputs.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I have never stereo Yamaha amp (R-N402D) which is among last one's they made with Burr Brown DAC's before switching to Sabre one's and it sounds better with it than with my USB Sabre 32 DAC. Ground loops are not a problem as long as you use normal quality RCA cable (and not a expensive one). Your AVR doesn't have balanced inputs so forget about it. I use Toslink from TV to amp and HDMI to TV (from PC).

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

That would be an interesting option, though I have the situation of using my monitor with this PC and the large speakers are behind me. They reflect off the monitor and do fine for background or less important stuff. I turn around and move slightly to actually listen to music.
I do also have desktop monitors, but they are less engaging for music.

My current DAC, an audioengine d1 does ok, though it has a bad habit of static bursts for output higher than 16bit/44kHz. Not nice especially with headphones. And everytime Windows does an update that messes with audio settings, it goes back up to 24bit/96kHz = surprise!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well I wanted as simple and centralised setup as I could get (besides actually liking and wanting to use integrated Burr Brown DSD1791DAC which is sufficient enough for a power amp). TV (Panasonic) does decoding for Dolby's and servs as input switcher, phone as a remote for both (TV and AMP) trough WiFi and when I simply don't want to use either TV or PC i use network streaming (WiFi/wired) for on demand/phone or other contacted device or net radio. So far it works good like that for me. Best regards.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I would assume the AMP is doing all its processing in digital so Going in Analog and converting it back to digital internally is of cause not as good as going in Digitally.

5-10 meters is the max recommended distance for toslink plastic fiber cables,
Never had a problem even with the cheapest 20m cables.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Say I get a Topping d10B - would it be better to use its balanced outputs going into unbalanced analogue input on amplifier receiver
or
Toslink output into the digital input on said amplifier, which supposedly has 120dB range 24bit/96kHz Burr-brown DACs inside?

My experience was that any dedicated DAC beats built-in DAC in amp fair and square. If you experience ground loops - there are better ways to fix them than optical/balanced etc - u just need to ground your stuff :)
But if u still have ground loops/interference and want easy way to solve it - optical from PC to DAC, RCA or balanced from DAC to amp. If ur DAC doesn't support optical input (and optionally, balanced output) - get a new one. They r not that expensive.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
My experience was that any dedicated DAC beats built-in DAC in amp fair and square. If you experience ground loops - there are better ways to fix them than optical/balanced etc - u just need to ground your stuff :)
But if u still have ground loops/interference and want easy way to solve it - optical from PC to DAC, RCA or balanced from DAC to amp. If ur DAC doesn't support optical input (and optionally, balanced output) - get a new one. They r not that expensive.
Integrated DAC doesn't have to be great especially on the power amplifier, needs to be a deacent one 100 dB SINAD, as it won't loose anything on interconnect nor will drive anything which can go more. You need a better one eventually for great hedaphones that can and will lose some on interconnects.

Willem

Major Contributor
DACs have a been a solved problem for quite some time, so I would use the internal DAC.

Top Bottom