• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Example of audible difference between 320 kbps mp3 and flac with 1000+ kbps

kurotoast

I listened to a bunch of music in mp3 and flac on akg-712 pro with fiio 5k and I hear no difference. Am I deaf or do I need something specific?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just wonder why so much attention is given on so many platforms by so much people to lossless music if you can't tell the difference...
Probably a combination of Fear of Missing Out and because one should prefer the 'full fat' version even if the difference is inaudible to just about everyone.

I've satisfied myself over and again I can't hear the difference, and yet, if I was offered, say, Spotify, as a flac or their 320kbps Ogg, I would take the flac, just because.
S

mansr

Major Contributor
I just wonder why so much attention is given on so many platforms by so much people to lossless music if you can't tell the difference...
There is always a slight chance that a perceptual encoder stumbles on a difficult track and creates an audible error. Since bandwidth is not an issue any more, many choose lossless just to be sure. I see nothing wrong with that.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you looked around at audio subjects in general? :)

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom