• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A8 Announced

raif71

Major Contributor
Really disappointed that Eversolo did not go the HifiRose route of larger screen for the premium models, but instead just recylcing the same A6 screen, which makes the larger body totally out of place and less premium looking than A6. Just look at the blank on both sides of the volume dial, really ugly. Does anyone else feel the same?

View attachment 322628

PS. Eversolo team, have you finally implemented a proper "network wakeup" function?
The larger screen might be implemented in the A8 Master Edition, who knows? Maybe this will differentiate between the normal and master unlike the A6 versions which just uses silver and gold on the cosmetic side of looks.

Gyosa1

That is good to know, What these reviewers like Soundnews, Steve Huff, Passion for Sound, John Darko and the like concerns, for sure you can trust them not a bit, surprisingly everything scales with price for them and they have basically no clue. It is such a revelation to have ASR to save us and get real judgements and measurements.
Just a small side remark to judge the competence of one of these reviewers, Steve Huff, here is his review of the A8:
For him, DACs and streamers have "sound" and the A8 is above the A6, which Amir measured as totally transparent.

And this guy has another channel where he is (for money!) talking to the spirits of the dead, with a device he himself has constructed: https://www.youtube.com/@huffparanormal. Seriously! Now let this sink in.
I questioned the reviewers impartiality, due to his obviously “paid” status …

My post was deleted by him shortly thereafter….

Food for thought ..

Bk

Simon 13th

I questioned the reviewers impartiality, due to his obviously “paid” status …

My post was deleted by him shortly thereafter….

Food for thought ..

Bk
I got offered the dmp-a8 to review as one of the first reviewers, on my YouTube channel 13th note hifi reviews, but I was concerned it would be a de facto paid review because eversolo wanted to give me the unit in exchange for the review. I told them that I was concerned it would be such a paid de facto review, and asked if I could return the unit or send it elsewhere if I didn't like it. They didn’t then send the unit. I don’t operate the way of accepting pricey product before I would know if I like them because it’s a pressure that would lead to the review being biased, tainted and positive and it’s not a game I play. I probably could have sold the unit for £1300 so I lost a lot on a matter of principle. They told me the other reviewers had accepted these units in exchange for the review. Eversolo called it ‘exchange-cooperation’ in their email. I later said I wouldn’t want to accept to do reviews this way again with them but only if they respect my process.

I personally thought the a6 is a cracking product, but this shows any model of a reviewer benefiting has to be done in a very careful way where the brand respects what the reviewer is doing and likewise. That a reviewer satisfies themself they only wish for benefit on brands they rate and where the reviewer still keeps editorial control on products featured, even for sponsored brands. I had asked for one of their DACs, for example, which they didn’t oblige.

All eversolo were really saying is we want to push a certain product to you to review it well in exchange for undue influence on the review by being given the unit. It puts the reviewer in an awful position as they are in one breath showing they have no respect for honest reviewers and reviewers picking the products they like and they think will review well. It could have been a cracker. At the same time if you don’t accept their way, then a line goes through your name and not under it for investment which is horrible given how hard reviewing is already and that for reviews to be believable, the reviewers have to operate with high moral standards . I personally think any de facto payment of such a pricey product should be declared by both eversolo and the reviewers involved. Sadly some of these haven’t done it. I should say I’ve gone back and forth on paid reviews but I actually think it’s a bad idea.

best wishes
Simon

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Didn’t you review the DMP A-6, did Eversolo let you keep that unit as payment?
Keith

Simon 13th

Didn’t you review the DMP A-6, did Eversolo let you keep that unit as payment?
Keith
It was accepted by me after I tried it and it reviewed well and I’ve no qualms with that. Eversolo were aware that I only wanted to benefit if on receiving it I liked and rated it and that was clear in our communications. It means it has to be competitive or beyond competitive and my review actually said I thought it’s the better product than the Cambridge Cxn v2, including build, display, dacs, and sound and use.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
In your experience Is it common practise that the reviewer keeps the product reviewed?
Keith

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI. From:

ftc_disclosure.png

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It was accepted by me after I tried it and it reviewed well and I’ve no qualms with that. Eversolo were aware that I only wanted to benefit if on receiving it I liked and rated it and that was clear in our communications. It means it has to be competitive or beyond competitive and my review actually said I thought it’s the better product than the Cambridge Cxn v2, including build, display, dacs, and sound and use.
Thank you for your candour, reviewers accepting payment/product for reviews is hardly new, it sounds as though Eversolo approached you directly, I assumed that they would have hired a or company?
Keith

Dr.Deadwax

Hello everyone,

this is my first forum post, I've been a silent reader for a while and now I have a few questions about the Eversolo, which I'm very interested in.

Is it possible to use the DSP for the analog inputs? Does this mean that the signal is digitized beforehand and if so, at what sampling rate?
According to the description, the DSP is bypassed during native DSD playback.
Is it possible to convert the DSD signal into PCM for example in 176.4 khz / 24 bit and then use the DSP like many home theater receivers do.

I wish you a nice weekend and many greetings from Germany

Dr. Deadwax

Does having an analogue preamp instead if a digital one improve the sound quality if used with active speakers that first convert the analogue signal into digital and then back into analogue after the crossover?

If so, that would be the only reason why I'd be more interested in the A8 vs an A6 Master Edition.

Gyosa1

Keith ,

since you have taken delivery of these and hopefully have had a chance to play
with one ..

I have an A8 on preorder ….
I don’t want to take delivery if it’s not going to work for me ..

can you help me out regarding a couple questions , trying to figure out if it’ll work in my system before it ships ….

do you have a tv you can hook it up to via hdmi arc ?
if not , I have another question ….

*will the A8 automatically turn the tvs internal speakers on or off when the A8 is either powered on or off - or tv powered on/off , or any combination of those ? Need to know if I‘m gonna have to get into the tvs menu to turn the internal speakers on/off each time I want to use the A8 with a tv …. more concisely , will the tv sense the ARC connection and turn it‘s internal speakers on/off automatically , like an AVR does with hdmi cec ?
will the tv turn its internal speakers on/off when the A8 is powered on/off - assuming the A8‘s Input in set to HDMI ?

*second question…
assuming the A8 is in a covered cabinet , will it’s remote power it on/off out of standby using it’s Bluetooth connection- meaning , not requiring line of sight IR …
the A6 , I believe , requires line of sight IR to turn it on/off using its remote .

I can’t seem to find anyone to answer these questions…
Eversolo has been non-responsive to my inquiries.

greatly appreciate any answers …

thanks

bk

Last edited:

james57

Was anyone able to find some information or have first hand exp on the implementation of FIIR filters via REW on the DMP-A8. I have seen the instructions for this model but am trying to figure out if its another gimmick or if it adds a significant bonus with regard to room correction. I have yet to find anyone that tried it

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The A-8 definitely has dsp :- PEQ and FIR import capability.
I haven’t tried them yet.
Keith
IMG_3315.png
IMG_3316.png
IMG_3317.png

Dr.Deadwax

Hello everyone,

this is my first forum post, I've been a silent reader for a while and now I have a few questions about the Eversolo, which I'm very interested in.

Is it possible to use the DSP for the analog inputs? Does this mean that the signal is digitized beforehand and if so, at what sampling rate?
According to the description, the DSP is bypassed during native DSD playback.
Is it possible to convert the DSD signal into PCM for example in 176.4 khz / 24 bit and then use the DSP like many home theater receivers do.

I wish you a nice weekend and many greetings from Germany

Dr. Deadwax
Does no one have an idea?

Top Bottom