• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ESI Gigaport EX USB Multichannel DAC ...is it asynchronous?

Ongii

As per title. I am interested in this multichannel DAC, and would generally prefer it against an HDMI DAC (like the Essence Evolve, for instance).
However, I can't find information on the web if the ESI is actually an asynchronous implementation.
Thanks in advance for any hint.
Kind regards from Munich, Bavaria

OP
Ongii

Ongii

I found it out: it is adaptive :rolleyes::facepalm:

mansr

Major Contributor
Adaptive is a less good solution for the USB transfer. Seems to be more jitter prone.
See : https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html#TransferMode
That site is generally good, but their description of USB transfer modes is somewhat incomplete. What they say is correct for the DAC endpoint. However, nothing is said of the host endpoint. This table from the USB spec explains what happens for all the possible pairings of endpoint types:
1609597697308.png

The best result, and what all but a few $1 dongles use, is async sink (DAC) with adaptive source (PC), case 3 in the table. I'd be quite surprised if the device you're looking at doesn't use this mode. Whoever told you it was adaptive was probably referring to the host endpoint.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was ESI's customer service, answering to a specific question.
Still, they could be wrong, or you misunderstood each other. Nobody's perfect.
Given what mansr has just said, I would be surprised too.

OP
Ongii

Ongii

My question was: "Is the Gigaport EX asynchronous?"
The answer was: "No, it is adaptive"

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The measurements are pined on official (ESI) site.
The performance would be fairly good with SINAD about 100 dB if a clean power source would be used (separate clean power adapter to split power/data USB cable) and not from PC switching PSU. In this case (from the used PSU) it falls to about 75 dB which is bare minimum even with shot cables (and not losing almost anything in transport). Probably not worth a fuss if you aren't desperately in the need of something that would work as portable 8 chenel DAC. It's a shame that there are no such properly made designs (either regarding performance or proper line out level) for not much money present on the market today (to my better knowledge).

Top Bottom